Thanks Thanks:  72
Likes Likes:  197
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Practice Game 23/02/24

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We could certainly omit some players based on them being sure things for R1. With Daniel and Liberatore I just felt it was important that all of our leadership team players are available. Getting the balance between experience players and development of the younger guys is always a challenge.

I don't mind the suggestion of Bedendo it's just who to leave out with the likes of Harmes, West or McNeil etc?
    True, I hadn't considered CD as part of the leadership group. I'd say on balance we know what we'll get from McNeil so I'd go with Bedendo. He's had it rocky and needs priming. Likely doesn't play round 1 or even 2, 3, or 4 but if he's got some time in the thick of things in this regenerating team, if someone goes down he can have his chances. Harmes for sure, we can see why he was chosen to play the gritty defensive mid/Hfwd role, will click the new structure in to place.

I love how much competition there is for spots. Feels like the energy and skill expectation has gone up a level. Everyone appears to be extra hungry, starving even. Think with Bont & Libba as 1 & 2 the commitment will break the roof. Macrae is great but just not the right fit for vc in the group, he seemed to know it too, very real and gracious.

2. Likes GVGjr, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    True, I hadn't considered CD as part of the leadership group. I'd say on balance we know what we'll get from McNeil so I'd go with Bedendo. He's had it rocky and needs priming. Likely doesn't play round 1 or even 2, 3, or 4 but if he's got some time in the thick of things in this regenerating team, if someone goes down he can have his chances. Harmes for sure, we can see why he was chosen to play the gritty defensive mid/Hfwd role, will click the new structure in to place.

I love how much competition there is for spots. Feels like the energy and skill expectation has gone up a level. Everyone appears to be extra hungry, starving even. Think with Bont & Libba as 1 & 2 the commitment will break the roof. Macrae is great but just not the right fit for vc in the group, he seemed to know it too, very real and gracious.
    I know this probably isn't the right thread to discuss the bolded part, but in 2023 both Bont & Libba had career years in terms of performances and led the way in terms of desire & will to win, but the rest of the team didn't follow... for any number of reasons.

What changes in 2024?

4. Likes GVGjr, chef, mjp, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I know this probably isn't the right thread to discuss the bolded part, but in 2023 both Bont & Libba had career years in terms of performances and led the way in terms of desire & will to win, but the rest of the team didn't follow... for any number of reasons.

What changes in 2024?
    From what i've picked up is that the coaches and the players have recognised that Bont and Libba can't do it alone and each and every player needs to take responsibility on field.

My ears did prick up when Anthony Scott (I think) said in front of the group we lost some games last year because we failed to follow the game plan or something to that effect.

Obviously only time will tell if anything has changed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Dry Rot, Curly5, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why on earth are the Dogs playing the Hawks twice in a row for these praccy games? Seems like a missed opportunity to get a good look at someone at the top of the ladder.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShibbyUp View Post
    Why on earth are the Dogs playing the Hawks twice in a row for these praccy games? Seems like a missed opportunity to get a good look at someone at the top of the ladder.
    No one takes them that seriously. I sort of agree that it would be nice to have another game against someone else but I'm not sure it changes too much for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes ShibbyUp, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShibbyUp View Post
    Bains explained it in an article I posted yesterday:

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the "last two left at the dance" due to other teams' more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

12. Thanks bornadog, macca, Curly5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't mind the suggestion of Bedendo it's just who to leave out with the likes of Harmes, West or McNeil etc?
    Think your side is pretty spot-on. I'd probably give Treloar the day off, rotate Sanders, Daniel and Gallagher through the middle more heavily and squeeze Bedendo onto the bench.

Treloar's a pro - he shouldn't need that much match play to be ready for the real stuff and I don't think it's worth risking his hammies. Bedendo sounds like he deserves a run based on pre-season effort.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Think your side is pretty spot-on. I'd probably give Treloar the day off, rotate Sanders, Daniel and Gallagher through the middle more heavily and squeeze Bedendo onto the bench.

Treloar's a pro - he shouldn't need that much match play to be ready for the real stuff and I don't think it's worth risking his hammies. Bedendo sounds like he deserves a run based on pre-season effort.
    It's a fair point, he's had a few sessions in the rehab group and perhaps needs the work but it makes sense to give him the game off.
    No use playing him for Footscray either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bains explained it in an article I posted yesterday:
    That just sounds like poor planning to me, there's only 4 VIC sides going north for opening round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From what i've picked up is that the coaches and the players have recognised that Bont and Libba can't do it alone and each and every player needs to take responsibility on field.

My ears did prick up when Anthony Scott (I think) said in front of the group we lost some games last year because we failed to follow the game plan or something to that effect.

Obviously only time will tell if anything has changed.
    That wouldn’t be unusual at any club to lose a few games from not following the game plan.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

FYI for those that can't attend tomorrow:

19. Thanks hujsh, bornadog, azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    FYI for those that can't attend tomorrow:

I’ve been trying to watch the other games. It’s bloody painful , the camera work the commentary.
    I’ve lasted about 5 minutes maximum.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs fans will get their first glimpse of recruits Nick Coffield, James Harmes and Lachlan Bramble in the red, white and blue during official match simulation tomorrow against the Hawks at Whitten Oval, from 11am.

The trio will line up alongside first-round draftee Ryley Sanders in the first game of the day, streamed live on Kayo.

The Bulldogs will take 24 players into the first fixture, with a number of the teams more experienced players to suit up in the second game beginning at 1.50pm.

Skipper Marcus Bontempelli, Tim English, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and others will feature at Whitten Oval also against the Hawks in four quarters of match simulation.

The first game will feature four quarters of 30 minutes.

Fans and members can attend the simulation for free, with gates open from 11am.
    Food trucks and a fan zone will be setup (from 3pm), with the official season launch taking place at 4pm, post-game.
    Game 1

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
    Friday, February 23, 11:00am
    Whitten Oval, West Footscray ? Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung
    Broadcast: Kayo/Fox Footy

SQUAD

7. Rory Lobb
    9. Ryley Sanders
    10. Sam Darcy
    12. Harvey Gallagher
    13. Oskar Baker
    14. Rhylee West
    17. Nick Coffield
    18. James O?Donnell
    19. Liam Jones
    21. Tom Liberatore
    22. James Harmes
    23. Laitham Vandermeer
    24. Buku Khamis
    25. Caleb Poulter
    28. Anthony Scott
    29. Lachie Bramble
    30. Lachie McNeil
    32. Arty Jones
    33. Aaron Naughton
    34. Bailey Williams
    35. Caleb Daniel
    36. Luke Cleary
    39. Jason Johannisen
    43. Ryan Gardner

Game 2

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
    Friday, February 23, 1:50pm
    Whitten Oval, West Footscray ? Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung

SQUAD

1. Adam Treloar
    2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
    3. Cody Weightman
    4. Marcus Bontempelli
    5. Jedd Busslinger
    8. Charlie Clarke
    15. Taylor Duryea
    20. Ed Richards
    26. Dom Bedendo
    27. Joel Freijah
    28. Anthony Scott
    31. Bailey Dale
    40. Lachlan Smith
    42. Alex Keath
    43. Ryan Gardner
    44. Tim English
    + VFL Players
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird squads. Like a mix of a few definites + probables together in the first and the definites either way in the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Second squad feels like those on modified minutes.