Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is a balanced list?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    MJP do you have a template in your mind as to what the perfect list looks like in terms of filled positions?
    Um. Yep.

The problem is it isn't based on AFL list sizes...what is the squad size and I'll extrapolate.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Um. Yep.

The problem is it isn't based on AFL list sizes...what is the squad size and I'll extrapolate.
    Well more a gameday squad rather than reserves. If you were going into a GF and everyone was fit. How would it look in a perfect world.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it change with tenure though BJ?

Eg new coach like Bevo - he's got no idea how long he's going to last for.

He wins a flag in his second year, probably making do with what he has, then the game changes and he can mould things to his perfect team. I think that's what happened with the rebuild not rebuild we went through before the 21 peak.

For all intents and purposes this is the team that Bevo has created. Is it lopsided on purpose?
    Absolutely changes as the coach has the opportunity to have the list he wants, but he still needs a game plan that suits the list at his disposal.

It needs to adapt to the availability, but also to the development.

With the talls on the list we need to find a way to make the most of their talents.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well more a gameday squad rather than reserves. If you were going into a GF and everyone was fit. How would it look in a perfect world.
    I think a best 23 balance is different to a list balance...

Best 23 balance doesn't address age profiles (if you have four 30yo ruckmen on your list, is it balanced?), salary (if you're paying your best four mids 900k each but the defence can't stop goals, is it balanced?) or contract length (if your ten best players are all out of contract at the end of the season, is the list balanced?).

I think they're two separate discussions.

Sticking with what I think you're asking - a balanced squad - I'll compare our current squad to the lions

2 x KPD - Andrews, Lester Jones, JOD
    2 x MD - Starcevich, Gardiner Coffield, Khamis?
    3 x SD - Mckenna, Coleman, Wilmot Richards, Dale, JJ

Midfielders

3 x Outside - Zorko, McCluggage, Fletcher Poulter, Baker, Treloar?
    4 x Inside - Neale, Berry, Dunkley, Robertson Bont, Libba, Sanders, Macrae
    1 x Ruck - McInerney English

Forwards

2 x KPF - Daniher, Hipwood Naughton, Jamarra
    4 x MF - Mcarthy, Rayner, Ah Chee, Bailey Cody, Harmes, West, Daniel
    1 x SF - Cameron Lobb - hmmmm, not quite a small forward

I think our team lines up well, with the obvious exception of the Charlie Cameron small/Rory Lobb tall.

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree balanced list vs balanced 2: ads very different topics.

Balanced list - I think about a range of players across their career / development cycle, with emerging players through to seasoned vets. A depth across all positions / roles for the team. Balance across the lines with our stats / AA calibre players.

Balanced squad - is probably not dissimilar to the OP, however all sides will be slightly different based on their game plan. Having 2-3 KPF and KPD, including one who can chop in the ruck, running defenders, high forwards, inside, inside-out, outside runners/midfielders, a ruck, a small forward, lock down defender, then running depth across the lines on the bench.