Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  172
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tribunal / suspensions 2024

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Alir had his arm free - there was no double movement...

I don't actually know what Higgins is expected to do.
    Next time don't slam his head into the turf
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Alir had his arm free - there was no double movement...

I don't actually know what Higgins is expected to do.
    Had Higgins made a token effort in the tackle he would have copped it and Alir's focus was on getting boot to ball.
    I want players to get protected but like you I can't work out what Higgins could have done better.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Next time don't slam his head into the turf
    That would be ideal in every tackle but do you think he intentionally did that?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think Higgins was extremely unlucky with his tackle, the fact was that Alir was in a really awkward position when he was tackled (not Higgin's fault) and i don't think he slammed him at all, there are accidents in our game and that was one of them, should have been cleared imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That would be ideal in every tackle but do you think he intentionally did that?
    Don’t believe it was intentional but the tribunal doesn’t look at that

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t believe it was intentional but the tribunal doesn’t look at that
    They do, it just doesn't change much (I assume this was classed as careless?).

I really struggle to see the suspendable action in Higgins tackle. I certainly don't think it was 3 matches worse than Jesse Hogan hitting a guy in the face.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not how you tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This is not how you tackle
    It 100% IS how you tackle mate.

#1: Ear to the rear.

Get your head behind your opponents body to minimise risk of injuring yourself.

#2: Hit and Stick

He clearly wraps him with BOTH arms and secures him between the waist and shoulders. He is giving up 30kgs I reckon so a bloody good effort.

#3: Use the momentum.

He uses his opponents momentum to bring him to ground in ONE MOTION.

This is a crap decision. Alir has an arm free and he is holding the ball...what he should have done - he was CAUGHT dead to rights - was release the footy and protect himself.

I just want someone to explain how Higgins was supposed to avoid this. He did everything right...how else do you want him to tackle Alir...where is the responsibility on Alir here to protect himself from the collision???

I'm all for changes associated with concussion but there are two sides to a lot of stories...Higgins is the one in the RIGHT here. Alir is in the wrong. And as the Head of Umpiring over here told me a couple of weeks ago - "No where in the rules does it define good technique and bad technique"...I get that. But it still exists. And when it comes to the tribunal, surely doing things 'correctly' needs to be valued in some way.

If it was a high tackle, I get it. If he slung him, I get it. He didn't do those things. What is the bloke actually being expected to do???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes jeemak, GVGjr, bulldogtragic, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    They do, it just doesn't change much (I assume this was classed as careless?).

I really struggle to see the suspendable action in Higgins tackle. I certainly don't think it was 3 matches worse than Jesse Hogan hitting a guy in the face.
    Tat's the problem there. Higgins' tackle (if the AFL are serious about changing the way we look at head contact) deserves 3 weeks. Hogan should have gone for 5 weeks on that basis, as it's not a football action and has no place in the game. You can't rationalise the 2 because the Hogan decision was wrong. Blatently wrong.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It 100% IS how you tackle mate.

#1: Ear to the rear.

Get your head behind your opponents body to minimise risk of injuring yourself.

#2: Hit and Stick

He clearly wraps him with BOTH arms and secures him between the waist and shoulders. He is giving up 30kgs I reckon so a bloody good effort.

#3: Use the momentum.

He uses his opponents momentum to bring him to ground in ONE MOTION.
    It's pretty much exactly how they taught my son to tackle in rugby.

Having said that though, the tackler has to be responsible. He has to owe a duy of care to ensure the tackled is not harmed by the tackle. I am ok with the suspension.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    It's pretty much exactly how they taught my son to tackle in rugby.

Having said that though, the tackler has to be responsible. He has to owe a duty of care to ensure the tackled is not harmed by the tackle. I am ok with the suspension.
    For me, no need to bring the player to ground

Post Thanks / Like

For me, no need to bring the player to ground
    You're OK with players remaining upright in a tackle and effectively disposing of the football? And while you might be an entire industry or thereabouts won't be.

MJP's assessment of how the tackle was executed was spot on. Higgins using the momentum of Alir didn't constitute a slinging motion, fighting that momentum would have basically been impossible given the disparity in size between the players.

Alir chose to prioritise holding onto the football over protecting himself. He should be the player questions are asked of.

What I think players need to start doing is tackle and drop knees so their legs fold and the ball carrier is grounded due to the weight of the player tackling them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You're OK with players remaining upright in a tackle and effectively disposing of the football? And while you might be an entire industry or thereabouts won't be.

MJP's assessment of how the tackle was executed was spot on. Higgins using the momentum of Alir didn't constitute a slinging motion, fighting that momentum would have basically been impossible given the disparity in size between the players.

Alir chose to prioritise holding onto the football over protecting himself. He should be the player questions are asked of.

What I think players need to start doing is tackle and drop knees so their legs fold and the ball carrier is grounded due to the weight of the player tackling them

***Edit, 17 yrs on this site and I still can't use the quote function properly.. what a boomer...

I presumed this is what all players were taught these days? I know my son's under 11's coach spent almost an entire pre-season training session on getting the kids to employ this exact technique.
    In fact at the time, I thought gee's he's really going over the top with this, he's spent almost half of that day's training session on this one aspect, via a couple of different drill sets ups.

He was really focusing to make sure all the kids got the technique.. and would stop the drill to help instruct where a kid wasn't able to bring the other down, to show him why, and to correct his technique in place, which would then immediately result in the kid bringing the other to ground easily.
    The only situation where it wasn't really effective and brought some laughs, was when the smallest kid in the team tried to bring down our tallest kid...and instead ended up riding him like a jockey on a horse for 30 metres!

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Actually he was trying to dispose the ball, and as he was brought to ground, mid air he kicked it away, of course too late for Higgins to know that.