Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  172
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tribunal / suspensions 2024

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Are you saying it is Fairy? or am I na?ve and missing something?
    Think about it, you will get there.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Think about it, you will get there.
    ok got it. Hardly worth 3 weeks.

Tribunal all over the shop
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    To be fair to Clarko, his homophobic slur was more inclusive - women can do it as well.
    Not very inclusive for those who don't identify either way, Sedat.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph

Clarkson’s recent slap on the wrist from the AFL was his eighth serious incident and third involving the abuse of a player on a football field. Finlayson deserved a suspension. Community standards have changed. But it’s impossible to reconcile the two vastly different penalties

Post Thanks / Like

Clarko. 8th incident where he has lost the plot and gets off. Crazy double standards. If anything, a coach abusing someone on the field of play with the senior position they have, is even worse than a player doing it in the heat of the battle.

Chook lotto.

Post Thanks / Like

Finlayson is an easier target than Clarkson, who the AFEL is trying to mollycoddle after he was accused of doing racisms at indigenous people.

Post Thanks / Like

ok got it. Hardly worth 3 weeks.

Tribunal all over the shop
    What's it worth then?

Are derogatory terms aimed at someone's sexuality not as bad as racial or religious vilification? Or are you saying any abuse isn't worthy of suspension?

I totally understand the inconsistency arguments but I'm not sure where you are coming from here BAD?

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    What's it worth then?

Are derogatory terms aimed at someone's sexuality not as bad as racial or religious vilification? Or are you saying any abuse isn't worthy of suspension?

I totally understand the inconsistency arguments but I'm not sure where you are coming from here BAD?
    You knock out a bloke and get a week. You make a slur in the heat of the moment and get 3. Tell me which one is more dangerous

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we really comparing cocksucker and F****t as homophobic slurs? These are not the same and I think the punishment for both pretty accurately reflect the severity of the terms used. The AFL actually does the right thing for once and all we care about is perceived hypocrisy.

12. Likes chef, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You knock out a bloke and get a week. You make a slur in the heat of the moment and get 3. Tell me which one is more dangerous
    So if he called an Aboriginal guy the N-word it should be a fine? Not saying it's the same but you get the point right?

Also not a word that's in most people's lexicon nowdays, you kinda have to choose to use it.

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Are we really comparing cocksucker and F****t as homophobic slurs? These are not the same and I think the punishment for both pretty accurately reflect the severity of the terms used. The AFL actually does the right thing for once and all we care about is perceived hypocrisy.
    I think people are suggesting a homophobic slur from a coach (who has previously been accused of racist and sexist outbursts) resulting in a slap on the wrist sets a precedent of sorts, and that going straight to three weeks suspension for a player without any precedent for a homophobic slur, albeit a more severe one, is strange.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So if he called an Aboriginal guy the N-word it should be a fine? Not saying it's the same but you get the point right?
    That would be quite the turn of events, seeing as Finlayson is indigenous
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think people are suggesting a homophobic slur from a coach (who has previously been accused of racist and sexist outbursts) resulting in a slap on the wrist sets a precedent of sorts, and that going straight to three weeks suspension for a player without any prior precedent for a homophobic slur, albeit a more severe one, is strange.
    It's kinda obvious, but let others twist themselves in knots trying to justify the inconsistency and complete lack of leadership by the AFEL. They were gift-wrapped the perfect opportunity to put a line in the sand on this issue (if they really cared about it) a month ago following Clarko's outburst and they chose to sweep it under the carpet, just as they did with the GWS player 2 years in a row boycotting Pride Round.

Either you are all in on this issue, or you only pay lip service to it when the outrage mob demand blood.

I don't think anybody is justifying what Finlayson said, least of all himself. You can't unscramble that egg - he said it, immediately regretted it, owned it, apologised unreservedly for it, understood the ramifications of what he said in a contrite and remorseful manner, and happily put himself at the mercy of the AFEL to determine a penalty.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also not a word that's in most people's lexicon nowdays, you kinda have to choose to use it.
    Racism is far worse in any name calling.

I was comparing the severity of the penalty, ie a physical hit v name calling

The AFL needs to be consistent, have set penalties and don't discriminate for all the different types of rules broken.

I also think your pass record should be taken into consideration and no discounts for being a good citizen.

Post Thanks / Like

My other question, with the risk of getting smashed. Walking into this one, so go easy.

Have we not all been educated that when you use a term it is not your perception of the term but how it made the other person feel. When Long called out Monkhorst or Goodes called the girl out in the crowd. There was a lot of education about how those words were so damaging to the individual due to personal nature of the attack and the historical use of the word to demean that subset of people. I believe those events helped better educate the public and were so important for drawing a line in the sand. I applauded and supported both strongly supported Long and Goodes at the time. Courageous and they both got slaughtered for it from many people. The Goodes docos were probably the saddest things I have seen in the game's history.

Why isn't this the case this time? Was the remark thrown at someone who was straight or who was gay? Does the context mater? Why the secrecy? Where is the context and education? Is just to protect the player who the remark was thrown at? Is the penalty harsh as that the remark hit home for that player? Or was it just a throwaway line (and in no way defending the use of that term in any context by the way).