Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  258
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Community Series 2/03/24

While we are playing the Hawks again, I expect the intensity of this game to be increased from last week:

It will be interesting to see which players we send to Tasmania as it might be an strong indicator of who we take into the round 1 encounter with Melbourne.
    I'd say O'Donnell won't travel and this might open the door for Khamis.
    I also doubt that Dale will make the trip and I can't see Gardner playing at all.
    Macrae should make the trip, how we will best use his talents is not so clear.
    Duryea seems to more of a 2nds player at the moment and I wonder if this opens to door for Bramble to be given another chance?
    The two biggest questions are how we might use both Darcy and Daniel. I think we will try and keep our forward line set-up with Naughton, Marra and Lobb so perhaps Darcy shares the workload with English in the ruck.

Sanders also gets his chance to play in front of his home town.

Who do you think might be part of our planning for this game? What would you like to see us trial?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks my plums thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Community Series 2/03/24

AFL Community Series Matches will take on the following format:

Four quarters of 20 mins plus time on (as per AFL Premiership Season)
    Squad of 30 players, eight interchange and four Emergencies. Minimum of four players on the Interchange Bench during the match at any time.
    No interchange Cap.
    Full panel of umpires appointed by the AFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd say O'Donnell won't travel and this might open the door for Khamis.
    Are you suggesting we play Khamis as our 2nd KPD alongside Jones... surely not?

Would think that Gardner comes in for JOD with Khamis battling with Coffield and Richards as the ''3rd tall''.

Macrae should make the trip, how we will best use his talents is not so clear.
    Given he won't be in our main midfield rotation he will either be used off the bench or at HF and then roll up to the midfield.... not keen on the HF option, and I probably prefer Sanders as the 4th mid... assuming that Bont, Treloar & Libba are the main rotation.

Duryea seems to more of a 2nds player at the moment and I wonder if this opens to door for Bramble to be given another chance?
    If Dale misses as suggested then Bramble is the next in line in that role.

The two biggest questions are how we might use both Darcy and Daniel. I think we will try and keep our forward line set-up with Naughton, Marra and Lobb so perhaps Darcy shares the workload with English in the ruck.
    I'm certainly keen to play all 3 of Lobb, Darcy & English... especially now that Darcy is capable of playing some effective minutes in the ruck.

Our POD could be the fact that we have dominant talls.. might as well play to that strength.

As with you I have no idea how or where we will use Daniel... how we get both Macrae & Daniel to fit into our team and be consistent contributors is one of Bevo's greatest challenges this year.

5. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's Keath? Injured?

Post Thanks / Like

I think a few of the young guys will get a run given we can pick 30 players.

Buku, Cleary, Clarke, Poulter, Baker, Bramble will all get a go at some stage throughout the game.

Darcy, Lobb, JUH and Naughton all in but maybe changing at half time so they are not all in at the same time.

As mentioned in above posts, will be interesting to see where Macrae and Daniel are played.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Where's Keath? Injured?
    I think he will travel to Tas, not sure if he will play though

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Would think that Gardner comes in for JOD with Khamis battling with Coffield and Richards as the ''3rd tall''.
    When JOD was injured early in the game Gardner was his replacement but I doubt that is an option now with Gardner on very restricted duties this week. It could be Busslinger or Keath who comes in but we might test Khamis and Coffields ability to play on taller players.

Given he won't be in our main midfield rotation he will either be used off the bench or at HF and then roll up to the midfield.... not keen on the HF option, and I probably prefer Sanders as the 4th mid... assuming that Bont, Treloar & Libba are the main rotation.
    Tend to agree about Macrae

I'm certainly keen to play all 3 of Lobb, Darcy & English... especially now that Darcy is capable of playing some effective minutes in the ruck.

Our POD could be the fact that we have dominant talls.. might as well play to that strength.

As with you I have no idea how or where we will use Daniel... how we get both Macrae & Daniel to fit into our team and be consistent contributors is one of Bevo's greatest challenges this year.
    Massive challenge for the coaches this year.

Post Thanks / Like

If Dale misses as suggested then Bramble is the next in line in that role.

Hopefully Keath gets a game if JOD misses, seems fit now.

I wouldn?t have Bramble as Dales replacement, more JJ or Richard?s if they were to miss IMO - if you?re replacing Dales key distributor role it would have to be Cleary I reckon, Bramble just does not have the foot skills to be one of our main designated kickers.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggies ftw View Post
    Hopefully Keath gets a game if JOD misses, seems fit now.

I wouldn?t have Bramble as Dales replacement, more JJ or Richard?s if they were to miss IMO - if you?re replacing Dales key distributor role it would have to be Cleary I reckon, Bramble just does not have the foot skills to be one of our main designated kickers.
    I?d like to see Cleary given a go. He was pretty good last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I?d like to see Cleary given a go. He was pretty good last week.
    It certainly surprised me how well he performed. He can play on a range of opponents as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it not as simple as Daniel playing in his most familiar backline role if Dale doesn't play?

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon we should approach this as a practice match - that is, try a few options. As they once said about the Northern Territory, you'll never never know if you never never go.

B: JJ Jones Coffield
    HB: Richards Busslinger Cleary
    C: Poulter Libba Baker
    HF: Sanders Naughton West
    F: Lobb JUH Weightman

R: English Bont Treloar

I/C: Macrae Daniel Williams Harmes Darcy Scott Khamis Clarke

Emerg: Bramble VDM Gallagher McNeil

Now is a good chance to confirm whether or not Cleary & Khamis have improved and whether Busslinger is near AFL standard. Also, is it possible to manage a four-headed monster in a four quarter game?

18. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Is it not as simple as Daniel playing in his most familiar backline role if Dale doesn't play?
    Yeah fair that?s probably the solution for a real game, for a praccy though I?d probably rather put the minutes into seeing what Cleary can do in a key role. If Dale was to miss round 1 though definitely Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there - the forecast looks like it'll be a perfect night for footy.

21. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I reckon we should approach this as a practice match - that is, try a few options.
    It is a practice match

23. Thanks jDogs thanked for this post