Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media: Why does Alex Docherty hate Bevo so much??

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    The early crow
    Depends when it was posted , halftime or after the game .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    You maybe too young to remember the 80?s and 90?s but it was tough before equalisation.

Bevo has also had a lot of luck compared to Malthouse, Wheeler, Wallace. The club was a financial basket case, fighting for survival, with close to the worse facilities, terrible umpiring that cost both Wallace and Eade and maybe Mathlouse too GF appearances, inferior playing group. In 2016 I think any Dogs supporters concedes we had a very good run with the umps. Under Bevo only 2023 bar the GC game have I thought it reverted back to the stars quo with the umpires.

Bevo was brilliant in 15/16 but has underachieved since. While 2021 was the outlier. Something went wrong late in the year where we blew a top 2 finish and cost Bont a Brownlow and a flag.

I believe the coaches above with all things being equal would have achieved more success with the same opportunity. Tactically I just rate them higher than Bevo. Hopefully this year with the new assistants on board we will finish top 4. This is the best list I have seen. No excuse this year. More support, even better facilities which would be as good as most clubs and better than a lot.
    We had a rebuild post 2017 and Bevo built the side and game plan sufficiently to almost make top four as the second best side in the season outside of a few games in 2021, culminating in an amazing finals run and a GF appearance against the odds. While I agree things went a bit pear shaped in the last few games of that season there's no way it could be considered an outlier given the considered tweaks made along the way.

I'm excited about how this season might go. And again I'll be looking at how much the mix has changed since we last challenged in 2021. The turnover has been huge, and if we do play to our potential the climb from 2021 to now will be eerily similar to the climb from 2016-2017 to 2021.

I don't really buy into the Bevo is poor tactically. When things click for the sides he coaches they're often untouchable, and not all of that can come from Salty Dog stories. My view is we overrate our talent at times (especially the last couple of years), but more so the quality of our depth. I guess if 2021 was an outlier it would be because our depth really stood up, but outside of that it's been an issue.

Wallace had an amazing list of players at his disposal, but couldn't get it done. Eade was cruelled by poor recruiting before he arrived (no developing tall forward), and a midfield group that couldn't get the footy forward. Malthouse and Wheeler were of a different era. I can't see how they're better than Bevo.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was today years old when I found out about the existence of an Alex Docherty. Had no idea who the fark this person was, which I guess emphasises my personal perspective that there about 2,000 too many grubby media scribes in the footy media industry, which seems to be growing at as an insidious pace as the public sector (and provides just as little productivity and worth to society).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes GVGjr, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I was today years old when I found out about the existence of an Alex Docherty.
    ...and I get that.

The problem is when you try to seek out non-mainstream media sources to actually get some coverage of the actual footy vs potential trades, free agents and draft picks or which players girlfriend might be doing a fashion shoot for the fashion lable funded by the girlfriend of a player at a rival club, well...you find people including Alex Docherty.

Not knowing about him is fine...but no doubt he has an audience out there - it just isn't a Fox Footy/Herald Sun audience.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The problem is when you try to seek out non-mainstream media sources to actually get some coverage of the actual footy vs potential trades, free agents and draft picks or which players girlfriend might be doing a fashion shoot for the fashion lable funded by the girlfriend of a player at a rival club, well...you find people including Alex Docherty.

Not knowing about him is fine...but no doubt he has an audience out there - it just isn't a Fox Footy/Herald Sun audience.
    We are in furious agreement on the bolded stuff mjp. The scribes prove time and again that they find the actual footy is the least interesting thing they want to cover. I'm not a vociferous consumer of footy media so I'm not the target demographic.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...and I get that.

Interacting with Alex on twitter, I have found him pleasant. Didn't know he had it in for Bevo, but plenty do, even on WOOF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hating the coach of your team is different from not being happy with their methods. I don't believe any true supporter of the team could hate that team's coach. Many disliked Bmac's coaching but I'm not sure anyone hated him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Hating the coach of your team is different from not being happy with their methods. I don't believe any true supporter of the team could hate that team's coach. Many disliked Bmac's coaching but I'm not sure anyone hated him.
    B Mac . Should have been a list builder and kept it at that in reflection.
    He built our premiership list but sadly couldn’t coach.
    He built flags wherever he went.
    Golden touch as far as knowing talent.
    I am not completely sure why he couldn’t coach but my gut feel is he was arrogant and had favourites.
    The fall out at Melbourne was an extremely interesting ending.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The fall out at Melbourne was an extremely interesting ending.
    What actually happened there?

Now we know what we know about the culture over there, was he a dissenting voice that Goodwin didn’t want?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    What actually happened there?

Now we know what we know about the culture over there, was he a dissenting voice that Goodwin didn’t want?
    They took him out of the coaching box and put him down on the bench with a few games to go in the season so something happened between him and the coach .
    That’s all I know, but as we know he wasn’t popular with the players when he was with us.
    Seems he is not good at unity .
    Bring back the biff