Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  148
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Selectors Table - R1 2024

I?m only making the two changes. Dale in for Duryea and Macrae for Gallagher.

Gallagher to sub role.

The other name to consider is Artie Jones, I thought he was exceptional in the VFL. Everything he touched turned to gold. It was the best I?ve seen him play. Hope he can back this performance up.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    B Khamis Jones Duryea
    HB Dale O'Donnell Richards
    C Daniel Liberatore Macrae
    HF McNeil Naughton West
    F Lobb Ugle-Hagan Weightman
    Foll English Bontempelli Sanders
    I Johannisen Treloar Harmes Williams
    Sub Vandermeer
    I don?t mind the team, a really good effort. I do find it a bit challenging that we?ve played so much of Williams, Baker and Poulter on the wings and then we end up with Daniel and Macrae? Not sure I love it.

I know JJ is on the bench, but the backline looks a bit light of for run. Richards can, but probably won?t and Dale after missing a bit of the last week or two, and who has been down on form from the highs of 2021 don?t seem to give us enough of the pace and direct ball movement we?ve been aiming for.

It?s probably our best credentialed players, no longer sure it?s our best ?team? though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    I?m only making the two changes. Dale in for Duryea and Macrae for Gallagher.

Gallagher to sub role.

The other name to consider is Artie Jones, I thought he was exceptional in the VFL. Everything he touched turned to gold. It was the best I?ve seen him play. Hope he can back this performance up.
    Yeah - but we played 24. So 2 need to go out before you make any player changes...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Finding it pretty difficult and have used Grantysghost team as a template

B : Bramble (was good with run and I would have him in), Jones, Coffield (feel he must play can he take Fritsch)
    HB : JJ, JOD/(Khamis was the best I have seen but one or the other), Richards
    C : Do we use a mid on the wing Macrae, Libba, Williams
    HF: Sanders, Naughton, McNeil (did enough)
    F: Lobb, Marra, Weightman
    Foll : English, Bont, Treloar
    Bench : Harmes, Daniel, West, LVDM
    Sub : Could this be for Khamis/JOD as they cover both ends or do you use Darcy

and now I realise I have missed Bailey Dale
    Last edited by Bulldog Joe; 03-03-2024 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DALE?S RACE AGAINST TIME MAY NOT SAVE DANIEL

- Jon Ralph

Bailey Dale?s race against time to recover from a tight hamstring for round 1 still might not save Caleb Daniel from demotion to the VFL against Melbourne.

The Dogs took care of business with a rousing second half in their win against Hawthorn in Launceston but once again Luke Beveridge?s team selection is the subject of intrigue.

Dale missed the clash with a tight hamstring and is doubtful to return against Melbourne in round 1.

All Australian Daniel played the second half as a half forward against Hawthorn and had little impact in eight possessions.

He is a genuine 50-50 call to miss selection in part because of Ryley Sanders? midfield emergence but also because of the club?s fit list.

Bailey Smith is out for the year with an ACL tear, but Dale (hamstring) and James O?Donnell (ankle) are the only other injuries of note.

Midfield star Jack Macrae played managed minutes in the VFL upon his return from hamstring tightness and will push at training this week to be included for round 1 on March 17.

The club has a decision ahead on whether three time All Australian Macrae has done enough to play against the Demons, who will be coming off an opening round clash against Sydney.

It would be a massive decision for Beveridge not to include both Macrae and Dale given their credentials at the club.

But Beveridge has backed in ex-Hawk Lachie Bramble in defence along with Liam Jones, Buku Khamis and Nick Coffield.

So even if Dale does miss there is not necessarily space for Daniel, but he could still find a spot against the Demons as the club?s sub.

O?Donnell was picked ahead of the club?s established defenders in Ryan Gardner and Alex Keath at times last year so it would surprise if he was not recalled.

Ruck-forward Sam Darcy got through the VFL clash well but seems unlikely to displace Rory Lobb given the Dogs forward line still flourished despite Lobb?s quiet day.

Beveridge seemed to tip his hand for Lobb when he told the Herald Sun this weekend Lobb was capable of running out matches but Darcy was only capable of 80 minutes of game time.

Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8d15c6d41b?amp

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Gardner right now :

10. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks a super competitive environment for round #1 spots which is a great position for the club to be in. It is going to be a fascinating two week countdown to see the final team.

There is a lot of 50/50 calls for Bevo and the coaching group to make. It is hard to have an informed opinion on the exposed form we have seen without seeing first hand what has happened across the pre-season (the magnficient WOOF updates definitely help).

I'm so pumped for Round #1. Day game at the MCG to kick off the season. Absolutely perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ok

Here i go

B : Bramble, Jones, Coffield
    HB : JJ, JOD, Richards
    W : Baker, Treloar, Williams
    HF: Sanders, Lobb, McNeil
    F: Marra, Naughton, Weightman
    Foll : English, Bont, Libba
    Bench : Harmes, Daniel, West, LVDM
    Sub : Gallagher.
    I didn't hit the OP and explain.

JOD over Buku. Buku was good, it's a line ball decision however JOD to me is ahead at this point.

Gallagher sub. Wasnt super impressed with his disposal yesterday however love his intensity so wouldn't mind a burst of the bench late from him.

I'm assuming Dale is out so Bramble gets the nod. He was good late and gave us metres. I dont mind him as a cheap pickup. Dale back id find it hard to fit him in.

McNeil played ok hes dont enough.

VDM has speed, a rarity so hes in reasonable form so plays.

Baker on the wing, played really well for Footscray and used his voice a lot. Brings leadership. I was disappointed with Poulter who looked unsure of himself.
    Williams was his normal vanilla self, id be tempted to start Gags and have Williams as the sub but went with Bailey.
    Harmes, he brings a bit of intensity. Still not completely sold but warming.

Caleb, jeez be a big call to leave him out id have him in but hopefully not on a wing / hf like yesterday. I get the feeling we can't shoe horn him into a spot which is really sad.

Coffield looks solid done enough and a good size.

Lobb he gets first crack was pretty solid yesterday. Darcy breathing down his neck and will get a chance.
    Sanders is in front of Macrae cant believe i think that but here we are. He has more tricks with his kicking ability.
    The rest pick themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Here goes:

Bramble, Jones, Coffield
    Richards, Khamis, JJ

Gallagher, Libba, Scott

McNeil, Naughts, Harmes
    West, Lobb, JUH

English, Bont, Treloar

Sanders, Weightman, Jones, Duryea
    Sub: Daniel

Emergencies: Williams, VDM, Darcy, Poulter

Much prefer all those with injuries to play one real VFL game before coming in, unless they tear the track down this week and next at training.

14. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah - but we played 24. So 2 need to go out before you make any player changes...
    We had a nominal squad of 26 but didn't use 3 of them. We played with 22, plus Caleb as the sub (VDM subbed off).

16. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    We had a nominal squad of 26 but didn't use 3 of them. We played with 22, plus Caleb as the sub (VDM subbed off).
    OK - cool - thanks.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Dale: Jones: Coffield
    HB: JJ: O'Donnell; Richards
    C: Williams: Libba: Harmes
    HF: West; Naughton; A.Scott
    F: Lobb; Jamarra; Flea
    R: English; Bont; Treloar
    Int: Sandars; Daniel; Bramble; McNeil
    Sub: Jones

Willing to give Daniel the benefit of the doubt. Runs on the board.
    Prefer Scott in the team. Role player - defensive work on Salem perhaps, or with Langdon on a wing.
    Buku very unlucky - but going with O'Donnell for the extra height.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bolded are my locks, italicized are guys who seem very likely to play (eg trade ins) or have shown really good form (West and Sanders)

Dale
    Jones JJ
    Coffield JOD
    Richards
    Gallager Libba
    Williams
    Sanders Naughton Harmes
    Lobb
    JUH Cody
    English
    Bont Treloar
    West Khamis Daniel Macrae
    Bramble/Dureya Scott/McNeil
    Sub: Scott (versatility) or Bramble (pace/run)

I went with Khamis on my bench because I like him but structurally could see a small taking that spot (Bramble or Dureya). Macrae gets the last bench seat on reputation but Scott could easily be rotating wing/forward. McNeil has performed well in the practice matches (set shots being the exception) so he's possibly there too though I suspect we go with a mid over a second small forward on the bench. Daniel not italicized because it sounds like the coaches aren't happy with him for whatever reason (maybe that story is BS though I have no way of knowing)

Gallager is on the wing purely because he played there last could easily be Poulter or Baker.

The only lock I doubt is Dale. I assume he'd have played firsts if not for injury but something tells me when Bevo referred to 'big names missing round 1' it wasn't just Daniel in the line of fire... just a hunch

Post Thanks / Like

1. Don't get sucked in that Daniel won't play. He's in.
    2. Spoke to Bailey Dale directly on Saturday at the VFL match. He's training this week and will be right to play.
    3. Macrae got through the match and completed his GPS kms at full pace. Will also be selected.
    4. From Gary's report, O'Donnell has overcome his injury concern. I cannot see him not being selected (Buku will be stiff, but that's footy)
    5. Tony Scott and Arty Jones have put their hand up after great games in the VFL. Scott may be a great choice for sub.
    6. Darcy shot the lights out (again) but his aerobic fitness may mean that Lobb is just ahead in the view of selectors.

Let the wild rumpus start!

22. Thanks bornadog, chef, Scorlibo, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 20c is as follows.

Backs
    Bramble Jones Dale
    (Run, went at 100%) (If fit)
    JJ JOD Red
    (If fit)

Centre
    Williams COL Harmes