Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  148
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Selectors Table - R1 2024

wow this is bang on - it's like you're better at expressing my thoughts than I am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I don't see him as a key forward (certainly not an option for JOD), but I do see him as a major problem.
    we picked up coffield specifically to play on fritsch

Post Thanks / Like

I'll watch the replay of yesterday's game again before I pin colours to a mast, though at times in the fist half, particularly the second quarter, we seemed a bit stagnant in the midfield mix and again relied too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar who didn't seem to be able to get things done when challenged (though some straighter kicking might have made things look a bit better for them).

Players of the quality of Daniel and Macrae need to be inserted into the mix at that point. Sanders was excellent but I'm wary of putting too much expectation on him, and I don't expect consistency in output over a long season (happy to be surprised along the journey, however).

Does anyone really expect Daniel not to play? He was fourth in our B&F last year playing a multitude of roles to benefit the team - I can't see how he's not rated by the MC. I get he doesn't have a defined position but that's also a strength in that he can pretty much play anywhere he's needed and produce quality.

Jacko has earned the right to fight it out in the seniors. We've invested heavily in him over the years and he's rewarded us. We need to get him into the homogenised midfield mix with a caveat, no more head down, hands on hips shit. Get back to the hard working, accountable, tough and creative player he's proved himself to be over time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes bornadog, Scorlibo, azabob, Mofra, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Define 'fit' in the context of our most prepared side in Bevo's time at the club.

I think Macrae is no chance. JOD and Dale depend on how much their absence today was caution, vs them being unable to play.

Buku was excellent. Jones on van Rooyen, Buku on Schache. Do they have other key forwards?

I'd obviously prefer Dale to Bramble, given his quality, but it depends on whether it was hamstring tightness or hamstring injury.
    Getting through full training for a week is considered fit. I thought Bramble played more of a high half flank role.

Stopping the demons kicking goals will be a combination of midfield and defensive player as their kicking spread is high and their quite creative inside 50. I really hope we're up for the challenge. Can't wait to see.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the AFL.com predicted side:

B: Alex Keath, Liam Jones, Nick Coffield
    HB: Ed Richards, James O'Donnell, Bailey Dale
    C: Bailey Williams, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar
    HF: James Harmes, Aaron Naughton, Rhylee West
    F: Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
    Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Ryley Sanders
    I/C: Jason Johannisen, Buku Khamis, Caleb Daniel, Taylor Duryea, Lachlan Bramble
    EMERG: Sam Darcy,Jack Macrae, Harvey Gallagher
    NEW: Ryley Sanders, Nick Coffield, James Harmes
    UNAVAILABLE: Bailey Smith (ACL), Jordan Croft (shin), Aiden O'Driscoll (concussion)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1080324/...-clubs-best-23

Post Thanks / Like

These are the surprise selections from my perspective.
    Alex Keath being in the R1 side is a stretch
    I can't see both Duryea and Bramble in the line-up if Dale is fit.
    10 defenders have been nominated. We normally go in with 7 and perhaps 8 at a stretch.
    McNeil should be the side somewhere.
    I know we probably shouldn't get too hung up on exact positions but Treloar on a wing doesn't seem right to me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know what the justification for Keath being in the side is. Dude is so cooked physically that he's charcoal and should really only be playing when Jones is out and we need a veteran tall defender.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buku Khamis had 96% TOG Saturday. Lock him in for the season if can run out games.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Buku Khamis had 96% TOG Saturday. Lock him in for the season if can run out games.
    His tank was really the only thing holding him back from playing more AFL games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    I loved the way he held his marks - one grab
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'll watch the replay of yesterday's game again before I pin colours to a mast, though at times in the fist half, particularly the second quarter, we seemed a bit stagnant in the midfield mix and again relied too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar who didn't seem to be able to get things done when challenged (though some straighter kicking might have made things look a bit better for them).

Players of the quality of Daniel and Macrae need to be inserted into the mix at that point. Sanders was excellent but I'm wary of putting too much expectation on him, and I don't expect consistency in output over a long season (happy to be surprised along the journey, however).

Does anyone really expect Daniel not to play? He was fourth in our B&F last year playing a multitude of roles to benefit the team - I can't see how he's not rated by the MC. I get he doesn't have a defined position but that's also a strength in that he can pretty much play anywhere he's needed and produce quality.

Jacko has earned the right to fight it out in the seniors. We've invested heavily in him over the years and he's rewarded us. We need to get him into the homogenised midfield mix with a caveat, no more head down, hands on hips shit. Get back to the hard working, accountable, tough and creative player he's proved himself to be over time.
    You are spot on that if Bont, Libba and Trelor are all not firing we really struggle to when the clearance out of the middle. I also agree we need more players going through the middle who can actually influence the contest.
    You are also right in saying Macrae and Daniel need to be inserted into the mix at some stage.

My only concern is has Macrea missed too much of the pre season to play round one? If we play him even slightly underdone we are doing a major disservice to the team and Macrae. At this point Jacko needs to demand to be picked.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in others thoughts on who Khamis is actually competing with for a spot in the team.

Khamis v Coffield or Khamis v JOD.

Either way I'm not sure he is a better option than either of these players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm interested in others thoughts on who Khamis is actually competing with for a spot in the team.

Not Coffield
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I think he's up against JOD. Khamis was the guy sent to Chol or Lewis where Coff spent most of his time on the mid-sized forwards. Looks like they've bracketed Coffield in as a mid-sized interceptor where they seem to have gone with Buku as the genuine centre half back (that might change pending player availability, I think).

I imagine we'll probably only see two of JOD, Coffield or Buku play - if it's JOD and Buku, Buku plays as the intercepting defender. If it's Buku and Coffield, they expect Buku to play as a genuine tall.

Coffield feels like a lock to me at the moment, so think Buku will be fighting it out as a genuine tall defender.

21. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t see Buku on Fritch , he is too slow and Fritch has great evasive skills.
    Fritch worries me looking for a match up, maybe Richards or JJ and run off him but when the ball comes in stick to him. I’m not sure Fritch has much in the chasing and defensive side.
    Bring back the biff