Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a Run On?

We all agree that for a couple of years allowing the oppositions a string of goals/a period of dominance/quick scoring has been the bane of our team's existence. However I wonder if we have the same idea of what this means and what it means to stop this.

I obviously we'd love if the opposition never got more than 2 goals in a row... but that's not realistic. Every team will have periods of the game where they're on top. You see it all the time, not just from us.

So the question is at what point has a run on started and how does one successfully stop a run on? IS stopping it before it starts the only successful criteria (limit to 2-3 goals then get 1-2 back) or does adjusting to the opposition/conditions and getting a run of goals ourselves count as a success?

21 GF is the perfect example of a fail. The goals start and never stop.

The Hawks practice games are a bit harder to define. They had periods in both games (2nd quarter) where they got back on top to some extent and did have a run of goals beyond just 2-3 but we then managed to adapt and dismantle the opposition after that. So is that a fail, or a pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is a Run On?

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We all agree that for a couple of years allowing the oppositions a string of goals/a period of dominance/quick scoring has been the bane of our team's existence. However I wonder if we have the same idea of what this means and what it means to stop this.

I obviously we'd love if the opposition never got more than 2 goals in a row... but that's not realistic. Every team will have periods of the game where they're on top. You see it all the time, not just from us.

So the question is at what point has a run on started and how does one successfully stop a run on? IS stopping it before it starts the only successful criteria (limit to 2-3 goals then get 1-2 back) or does adjusting to the opposition/conditions and getting a run of goals ourselves count as a success?

21 GF is the perfect example of a fail. The goals start and never stop.

The Hawks practice games are a bit harder to define. They had periods in both games (2nd quarter) where they got back on top to some extent and did have a run of goals beyond just 2-3 but we then managed to adapt and dismantle the opposition after that. So is that a fail, or a pass?
    I think 4 and above is when it becomes a run on with worry.
    What I don’t get is the run ons against us is when the opposition ruck just taps it forward and their midfield seems to be on their own , we don’t seem to have any mid on the defensive side of the ruck. More frustrating is we don’t change it either !
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think 4 and above is when it becomes a run on with worry.
    What I don’t get is the run ons against us is when the opposition ruck just taps it forward and their midfield seems to be on their own , we don’t seem to have any mid on the defensive side of the ruck. More frustrating is we don’t change it either !
    Yeah 4 plus. Our run ons just feel different. They always come when we're seemingly well on top and then we just stop and the opposition run on comes VERY easily.

What's everyone's thoughts on introducing time-outs to thr game?

Post Thanks / Like

A run on also relates to just how easy the opponent is able to get those 4+ goals in a row. If they just waltz it out of the middle and kick it to the full forward who kicks a goal every time then that's a run on, if the ball pings around for a few minutes and we have multiple shots but only behinds then it's just inability to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it?s about rate of unanswered goals and the way in which they have scored them. Three in three minutes etc where the opposition have clearly developed a pathway to goal that we have to shut down, and quickly.

In the second quarter against Hawthorn we had 6 scoring shots to their 8 and they scored a total of 4 goals for the quarter. Not what I?d call a Run On, though Ginnivan was looking very dangerous and the structure had to be addressed.

7. Likes Testekill, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the literal definition of a run-on (4 consecutive goals from memory), we are the worst in the competition outside of West Coast and North over the last couple of seasons. It's a horrible statistic and we urgently need to address it in order to contend again.

The 2021 GF capitulation spooked the entire club and we haven't come close to finding a solution in 2022 and 2023. We simply need to fix this in 2024.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    By the literal definition of a run-on (4 consecutive goals from memory), we are the worst in the competition outside of West Coast and North over the last couple of seasons. It's a horrible statistic and we urgently need to address it in order to contend again.

The 2021 GF capitulation spooked the entire club and we haven't come close to finding a solution in 2022 and 2023. We simply need to fix this in 2024.
    Unfortunately the run on the hawks made in the 2nd quarter had all the hallmarks of our traditional ones. Our structure was messed up, players out of position, players down on confidence and looking lost with an appearance they were tired. The only thing that stopped it was the half time siren. We just looked rattled and discombobulated. Fortunately we reset and smashed them from then on but it didn't put any concerns to bed in this area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Unfortunately the run on the hawks made in the 2nd quarter had all the hallmarks of our traditional ones. Our structure was messed up, players out of position, players down on confidence and looking lost with an appearance they were tired. The only thing that stopped it was the half time siren. We just looked rattled and discombobulated. Fortunately we reset and smashed them from then on but it didn't put any concerns to bed in this area.
    I have to disagree with this, as while they scored all the 2nd quarter goals it wasn't about them dominating the play continually.

They scored 4.4 while we kicked 0.6. This gave them 5 consecutive goals having scored the final goal in Qtr 1

Some of those misses were just poor execution (McNeill, Williams for eg).
    If we had nailed a couple of those there would not have been the consecutive goals against us.

Traditionally those runs have basically been around periods where we hardly even get the ball forward and it happens over a 5 to 10 minute period not 35 minutes missing goals.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

12. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The old days, if a team got a run on, then you start a fight to stop their momentum - I think you can still consider to do this but not throw punches.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I have to disagree with this, as while they scored all the 2nd quarter goals it wasn't about them dominating the play continually.

They scored 4.4 while we kicked 0.6. This gave them 5 consecutive goals having scored the final goal in Qtr 1

Some of those misses were just poor execution (McNeill, Williams for eg).
    If we had nailed a couple of those there would not have been the consecutive goals against us.

Traditionally those runs have basically been around periods where we hardly even get the ball forward and it happens over a 5 to 10 minute period not 35 minutes missing goals.
    I know what you mean but I saw the 2nd half of the quarter differently. I think most of those points came in the earlier half of the quarter. After Ginnivans second goal the wheels started to fall off a bit. It certainly wasn't them dominating, more us allowing them to do as they pleased. I noticed a big difference in how open the field became for them from that point.

It's certainly not alarm bells but I don't think the group has done anything to convince we're past the problem. Hopefully the season proper we show the maturity we're all desperate to see.

Post Thanks / Like

It's felt in the past couple of years that the "run-ons" occur and we pretty much can't get our hands on it. Can't slow it down. And maybe we eventually get a shot and whoever is taking it chokes and misses. Then the oppo slot another.

It's one of the more frustrating things we're capable of. I can feel my anxiety levels rising just thinking about it.

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The old days, if a team got a run on, then you start a fight to stop their momentum - I think you can still consider to do this but not throw punches.
    For the past few years I have been annoying my mates in the PSP with repeatedly suggesting that the game needs 2 goals and a fight. When the opposition start getting the game in their terms, we simply need to be prepared to break momentum. Kick a goal. Kick an other goal, start a fight. Win the flag.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

19. Likes bornadog liked this post