Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  60
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nobody believes in us. Are they right?

Surely these are the wholly earned consequences of spending the past two seasons taking whatever external respect and goodwill the club might've banked and promptly torching it in the saddest and most maddening ways imaginable?

The upshot being, perhaps we've now got everyone where we want them, taking us lightly, but why on earth would you trust us unless you're (a) hopelessly devoted, (b) a fool, or (c) given new and compelling reasons to?

Gonna be a fascinating first 6-8 weeks.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I really think we need a good start and a legitimate win against a contender to really lift the horizon of the group. I will always remember that win against the swans in 2015 that really had the players starting to believe what is possible.

I reckon this Melbourne game is more season defining than we all think.

3. Likes Uninformed, my plums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the combo of our flakiness over the past several seasons, and the fact that at this time of year when they're searching for column inches to fill, its not exactly sexy to the reader to have us predicted to challenge again.
    As some have said here, I get the reservations on us, they're legit...but for many to have us so low??? I hope and do genuinely believe they media pre-season prognosticators are going to be really p1ssed off by season end when we prove their predictions wrong again, this time by over-performing according to their predictions.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Weve never finished first in the history of the club!
    Yet we're capable of it! I don't think at all that it'll happen but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if it did. I think the group has enough talent if everything goes right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Surely these are the wholly earned consequences of spending the past two seasons taking whatever external respect and goodwill the club might've banked and promptly torching it in the saddest and most maddening ways imaginable?

The upshot being, perhaps we've now got everyone where we want them, taking us lightly, but why on earth would you trust us unless you're (a) hopelessly devoted, (b) a fool, or (c) given new and compelling reasons to?

Yeah we've never succeeded under expectations. This is good stuff for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I really think we need a good start and a legitimate win against a contender to really lift the horizon of the group. I will always remember that win against the swans in 2015 that really had the players starting to believe what is possible.

Yep. It?s not talent. It?s b/w the ears and whether Bevo can inspire and be ahead of the pack like he was in 2015/16. I?ve said this elsewhere but will mention it here again; we need some self belief, mongrel, & never give up attitude amongst more of the group (not just Libba, Bont, L Jones and Naughts).

9. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post

Normally I'd agree but I think the one week head start is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

Us, Freo, Adelaide and North have been given a shit go of it since the AFL aren't even competent enough to account for Round 0 by having the round 1 feature other R0 teams playing themselves and those with a bye playing other bye teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree! The facilities, new coaching appointments and hopefully new game plan will have us fighting for top 4 most of the year in my opinion. I am ever the optimist but also understand that to win the whole thing we need to see an improvement from our defenders

Post Thanks / Like

Gws are a very good side.
    That seems to be the narrative and I don't disagree.

I am also not on top of what improvements they may have from 2023, but we have available Liam Jones, JOD, Coffield, Harmes, Sanders and Bramble who weren't with us for that Ballarat game we lost by 5 points.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    That seems to be the narrative and I don't disagree.

I am also not on top of what improvements they may have from 2023, but we have available Liam Jones, JOD, Coffield, Harmes, Sanders and Bramble who weren't with us for that Ballarat game we lost by 5 points.
    Think you've just told the story inadvertently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Yes, I can't see a logical argument that says we are a contender.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can't see a logical argument that says we are a contender.
    Yeah. I'm struck with so many structural question marks viewing the list and beyond a reorganisation of the brains trust, modest improvements to our depth and (hopefully) reapplying ourselves with some newfound fire in the belly I'm not sure what's substantively better to be satisfied we're somehow now primed to impact finals.

Our backline in particular remains total nightmare fuel after Richards and Jones and I just dunno how we mitigate that.

Not long til we find out ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

They are. It will be interesting if they can be consistent throughout the year or will they rely on a run of games again?

Having said all that they do give off Dogs 2015/16 and Pies 2022/23 vibes.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't care what the duplicitous punditry thinks of our prospects.

Last year we were apparently a disaster without it being acknowledged we were a win and a small amount of percentage out of fifth spot, we had no continuity in our defensive personnel and therefore structures, had a compromised preseason and got unlucky with injury in a couple of crucial games.

On the flip side those who merely won a game more than us were marvelous success stories and beacons of great hope.

It's another year, the same people who had no clue at the start of last year have no clue at the start of this year. There's no point in letting those doomsayers ruin a season before it's already started. They'll do their best to take as much joy out of the season as they possibly can once it's underway.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

They are... but we made them look ****ing ordinary for 2/3 of the game in Ballarat last year until we had no defence.

I make no excuse for our awful performances against Hawthorn & WC, but IF we don't lose Kaeth & Bruce we win that game by 40+ and GWS don't make finals.

21. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, jeemak, The Doctor, Bulldog Joe, Sedat liked this post