Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nobody believes in us. Are they right?

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    They are. It will be interesting if they can be consistent throughout the year or will they rely on a run of games again?

Having said all that they do give off Dogs 2015/16 and Pies 2022/23 vibes.
    Tom Green is maybe their Bont. What a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They are... but we made them look ****ing ordinary for 2/3 of the game in Ballarat last year until we had no defence.

I make no excuse for our awful performances against Hawthorn & WC, but IF we don't lose Kaeth & Bruce we win that game by 40+ and GWS don't make finals.
    40+ is very generous. We stopped dead like we have with full sides, we always find an excuse from somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I really don't care what the duplicitous punditry thinks of our prospects.

Last year we were apparently a disaster without it being acknowledged we were a win and a small amount of percentage out of fifth spot, we had no continuity in our defensive personnel and therefore structures, had a compromised preseason and got unlucky with injury in a couple of crucial games.

On the flip side those who merely won a game more than us were marvelous success stories and beacons of great hope.

It's another year, the same people who had no clue at the start of last year have no clue at the start of this year. There's no point in letting those doomsayers ruin a season before it's already started. They'll do their best to take as much joy out of the season as they possibly can once it's underway.
    Where do you think we will finish Jee to the mak?

Post Thanks / Like

I like that no one is rating our chances. Hopefully we can fly under the radar a little and surprise a few. We?ve got a decent start to the season, so we can position ourselves well and prove all of these spuds with no idea wrong.

5. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I like that no one is rating our chances. Hopefully we can fly under the radar a little and surprise a few. We?ve got a decent start to the season, so we can position ourselves well and prove all of these spuds with no idea wrong.
    Agree. In my time following dogs we play better as underdogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Where do you think we will finish Jee to the mak?
    Anywhere from 4-12. 5-8 most likely.

I don't see how we're worse this year after the changes to training and facilities, relative fitness/ lack of injuries and an update in personnel in areas of need and the coaching panel.

We were horrible in all of the above and still nearly made finals in 2023. Too much has been made of the demise of both Macrae and Daniel, I think Harmes and Sanders playing helps offset the loss of Smith. Outside of that players are either even keel or capable of imporoving (English, Naughton, JUH, Weightman, Richards, JOD and West are few that come to mind) while the profile of the list suggests others may surprise.

All of it could go to shit of course, you never know. But it's just footy and I'm going to try and approach the season (outside of the game day thread of course) as it comes without paying too much attention to simplistic media analysis, hot takes or narratives.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anywhere from 4-12. 5-8 most likely.

I don't see how we're worse this year after the changes to training and facilities, relative fitness/ lack of injuries and an update in personnel in areas of need and the coaching panel.

We were horrible in all of the above and still nearly made finals in 2023. Too much has been made of the demise of both Macrae and Daniel, I think Harmes and Sanders playing helps offset the loss of Smith. Outside of that players are either even keel or capable of imporoving (English, Naughton, JUH, Weightman, Richards, JOD and West are few that come to mind) while the profile of the list suggests others may surprise.

All of it could go to shit of course, you never know. But it's just footy and I'm going to try and approach the season (outside of the game day thread of course) as it comes without paying too much attention to simplistic media analysis, hot takes or narratives.
    I'm starting to think Harmes is a straight up replacement for Macrae, same role but better suited to the forward stuff and brings a point of difference with defensive intent in the middle.

Sanders probably fills the Smith role which, with the exception of 2-3 games last year, I'd back him to cover that output.

Daniel, I don't know what his role is last year because he did pretty much everything so it's harder to really tick a particular box for him. Likewise I'm not sure what it is he's not bringing now that has him potentially missing round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Agree. In my time following dogs we play better as underdogs.
    Very true josie!

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo can get stuffed. Most in the media have it wrong. We may not be as strong as we all hope but we will be better than many so called experts believe.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like it. Will come out firing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'm starting to think Harmes is a straight up replacement for Macrae, same role but better suited to the forward stuff and brings a point of difference with defensive intent in the middle.

Sanders probably fills the Smith role which, with the exception of 2-3 games last year, I'd back him to cover that output.

Daniel, I don't know what his role is last year because he did pretty much everything so it's harder to really tick a particular box for him. Likewise I'm not sure what it is he's not bringing now that has him potentially missing round 1.
    He may have lost it but I do think Macrae can be disciplined if fit and motivated when playing in the midfield. I also think if we want to move the footy quickly he's one guy I want the ball in the hands of. His kicking is underrated between the arcs, directionally nobody is as creative as he is with their kicking.

Unless Daniel hasn't met some benchmarks from a fitness perspective I think it's ridiculous someone with his skill and versatility could be left out. Not playing him smacks of looking at what he doesn't offer versus what he does, and I'd hate to think we'd be going down that path because to me doing so means the path of blandness and regimented footy is being prioritised over creativity - and that's not what we need.

If we want the ball to move quickly from defence to attack via different areas of the ground then accurate and creative users need to be prioritised given our lack of highly skilled raw pace players. Macrae and Daniel are our best in this area as they don't hold the footy up, and move it on instinct backed by skill (we all remember Daniel Cross and his disposal efficiency......and the boring and easily defendable crap that came with it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I really think we need a good start and a legitimate win against a contender to really lift the horizon of the group. I will always remember that win against the swans in 2015 that really had the players starting to believe what is possible.

I reckon this Melbourne game is more season defining than we all think.
    I said in a different thread that Round 1 is just one game of 23, but after reading your post, I think it is indeed a massive almost season defining game. Not just for the club but the supporters also. I'm that scared of another round 1 pumping by the Dees. Would be a huge setback for me as a fan, and I'm assuming it would be quite scarring again for the playing group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by my plums View Post
    I said in a different thread that Round 1 is just one game of 23, but after reading your post, I think it is indeed a massive almost season defining game. Not just for the club but the supporters also. I'm that scared of another round 1 pumping by the Dees. Would be a huge setback for me as a fan, and I'm assuming it would be quite scarring again for the playing group.
    How much did our two beltings in rounds one and two of last year impact us? A lot, or not at all given we went on a very good run after them and it wasn't until the back half of the year that things went tits up.

What you said in the other thread was spot on, our round one game is just one of a long season and there's always opportunities to get going. I bloody hope we're not riding round one as a club.

17. Thanks my plums thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much did our two beltings in rounds one and two of last year impact us? A lot, or not at all given we went on a very good run after them and it wasn't until the back half of the year that things went tits up.

What you said in the other thread was spot on, our round one game is just one of a long season and there's always opportunities to get going. I bloody hope we're not riding round one as a club.
    I hear you! Just hoping for a good account of ourselves in the early rounds to get rolling. Fear for the mental scars if the Dees can do what they please with us. We'll see.....

19. Likes jeemak, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by my plums View Post
    I hear you! Just hoping for a good account of ourselves in the early rounds to get rolling. Fear for the mental scars if the Dees can do what they please with us. We'll see.....
    I get it.

21. Likes my plums liked this post