Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  94
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL 2024 Round Zero discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I nailed the GWS tip because I’m a genius.

I actually think we match up pretty well into Collingwood because our mid group is so much better at the coal face, which should give us enough first use to at least break even into any quick ball movement they get going the other way.

But GWS. Uh oh. I don’t really see a weakness.
    Especially with Hogan looking like he might finally fulfill his vast potential.
    He looks fit and hungry, some of his work as the first option out of defence working up the ground was sublime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He looks fit and hungry, some of his work as the first option out of defence working up the ground was sublime.
    I never sold my Hogan stock. For once you can actually check post histories on that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

**** GWS. They?ve lived off first round picks and academy bargains since day 1, they should be dominating.

Post Thanks / Like

Can kick straight too. A natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    **** GWS. They?ve lived off first round picks and academy bargains since day 1, they should be dominating.
    Ah missed ya comrade good to hear from you. Hope things are good in Ballarat. Agree they should be good.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I sort of get why they are opening the season with games in Sydney and Brisbane. Expanding AFL in the northern states is a good thing, and the small clubs get handouts from the AFL from the ever increasing broadcast rights.

However, what I don't understand is why they couldn't have these northern games played during the same opening round and weekend as games played in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth?
    It defies logic. So much anticipation builds into the first round of the season. So much hope from all 18 clubs' supporter bases. Round 1 is the first measuring stick we get, and it's totally sullied if only half the clubs are playing.

On 360 I heard Whateley say that it's either this or nothing, because the Melbourne stadiums aren't ready for the AFL this weekend. Well Gerard we waited 5 months, I don't think anyone's going to mind another week, especially given it's a long weekend.

This is not to mention the bits and bobs of fun we enjoy on the periphery - fantasy, tipping etc. are thrown out of whack when half the teams open the season with a bye. Oh and I wonder who'll be leading the Brownlow after two and a half rounds?

Hate it!
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

9. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, bornadog, GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It defies logic. So much anticipation builds into the first round of the season. So much hope from all 18 clubs' supporter bases. Round 1 is the first measuring stick we get, and it's totally sullied if only half the clubs are playing.

On 360 I heard Whateley say that it's either this or nothing, because the Melbourne stadiums aren't ready for the AFL this weekend. Well Gerard we waited 5 months, I don't think anyone's going to mind another week, especially given it's a long weekend.

This is not to mention the bits and bobs of fun we enjoy on the periphery - fantasy, tipping etc. are thrown out of whack when half the teams open the season with a bye. Oh and I wonder who'll be leading the Brownlow after two and a half rounds?

Hate it!
    Lucky we didn't have to play in this heat, but totally agree with what you say
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

At least we'll get to hear about a return to tradition with the traditional season opener between Richmond and Carlton finally taking place Thursday night.

It's a game that always produces such quality, not to mention, tradition.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate it!
    Agree with all of these points. 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the Giants game on Saturday night.

Didn't have a flash seat, but sitting high above the goals had a good view down the ground.

First up, the sellout was bullshit - there were quite a few empty seats around me.

Secondly, for at least the last 3 quarters the Giants completely closed down any space for the Pies. It was really interesting being up the other end looking down the ground what at what the Pies defenders would see trying to kick up the ground. There were simply no options. The Pies could not play at all their style that many fans have come to like, and won then many games.

The Giants just seem to be faster across the ground and much better in the air. Their swarming defence and their waves of handball chains gave the illusion that they had four extra players on the field.

I always thought that the Pies were a bit short but got away with it, but not last night.

As others have said, I'm afraid that the Giants really look like the real deal this season.

Are any of you coming up to Sydney to watch us play the Giants in May?

Ditto the Swans late in the season?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate it!
    Even putting aside the assumption that the AFL had to start this weekend, couldn't the AFL also have games in Adelaide and Perth? That gets us to 16 teams already. You'd just need one neutral match between 2 Victorian teams then.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options too rather than this BS take it or leave it situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Went to the Giants game on Saturday night.

Didn't have a flash seat, but sitting high above the goals had a good view down the ground.

First up, the sellout was bullshit - there were quite a few empty seats around me.

Secondly, for at least the last 3 quarters the Giants completely closed down any space for the Pies. It was really interesting being up the other end looking down the ground what at what the Pies defenders would see trying to kick up the ground. There were simply no options. The Pies could not play at all their style that many fans have come to like, and won then many games.

The Giants just seem to be faster across the ground and much better in the air. Their swarming defence and their waves of handball chains gave the illusion that they had four extra players on the field.

I always thought that the Pies were a bit short but got away with it, but not last night.

As others have said, I'm afraid that the Giants really look like the real deal this season.

Are any of you coming up to Sydney to watch us play the Giants in May?

Ditto the Swans late in the season?
    Thanks for the report.
    Wouldn't mind going up for the Sydney game - bloody AFL have held back the date, so hard to plan
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    At least we'll get to hear about a return to tradition with the traditional season opener between Richmond and Carlton finally taking place Thursday night.

It's a game that always produces such quality, not to mention, tradition.
    I'm normally in the minority with a lot of these things but the Tigers v blues fabricated traditional opener zaps any enthusiasm I have for footy returning. It's just another reminder of the contrived, big club priority bullshit the afel is all about. And the espn style media cheerleading of big clubs is almost enough for me to dread footy season returning.

If the dogs ever ceased to exist I'd say goodbye to the league and wouldn't miss it a bit.

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Can kick straight too. A natural.
    LOL. A natural kick huh?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I did like the way Cadman attacked the ball in the air too. It was almost Naughton-like. He's going to be damn good in a year or two
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers