Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    8,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    This is almost the natural logical and depressing evo-(devo?)-lutionary consequence of the disruption digital media 'robber barons' have wrought upon the established hegemonic print, music and television industries. They've totally bypassed old media's long established and enforced principles, structures, strictures of how media was 'meant to work' and have surfed the speedy wave with which social norms and consumer preferences for media consumption changed once digital media started to emerge and evolve.

    It's not a good thing either. And that's not at all to praise the previous structures at all. But the 'eyes on screen' motivation of digital media providers is a horrific outcome for us all. It leads to click bait, lies, hyperbole and being loudest and first and shocking....it wedges...and in turn keeps angry outraged, shocked, titillated consumers on the screen...which is the $$$ payoff for the media in selling advertising.

    Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an 'old man yells at cloud' style rant about the ills of the digital media
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 08-03-2024 at 03:14 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    15,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    This is almost the natural logical and depressing evo-(devo?)-lutionary consequence of the disruption digital media 'robber barons' have wrought upon the established hegemonic print, music and television industries. They've totally bypassed old media's long established and enforced principles, structures, strictures of how media was 'meant to work' and have surfed the speedy wave with which social norms and consumer preferences for media consumption changed once digital media started to emerge and evolve.

    It's not a good thing either. And that's not at all to praise the previous structures at all. But the 'eyes on screen' motivation of digital media providers is a horrific outcome for us all. It leads to click bait, lies, hyperbole and being loudest and first and shocking....it wedges...and in turn keeps angry outraged, shocked, titillated consumers on the screen...which is the $$$ payoff for the media in selling advertising.

    Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an old man yells and cloud style rant about the ills of the digital media
    Very astute observations YHF.

    The only thing i see balancing the equation to a degree is citizen reporting for want of a better term.

    Social media has at the very least broken the control of the hegemony as youve described it to a degree, IF you know where to look.

    Sadly though i think people still like being fed their daily dose of cultivated bad news at 6pm each night.

  3. Likes Sedat, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
  4. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Very astute observations YHF.

    The only thing i see balancing the equation to a degree is citizen reporting for want of a better term.

    Social media has at the very least broken the control of the hegemony as youve described it to a degree, IF you know where to look.

    Sadly though i think people still like being fed their daily dose of cultivated bad news at 6pm each night
    .
    Social media feeds into this even harder. Whether it's Twitter or something like Neighbourhood.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Am I completely biased or does it feel like we get more speculation about losing players than other vic clubs?

    Either way Jamarra is a vital part of the clubs future goibg forward. Moreso than any other player on the list IMO

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In renovator's dreams
    Posts
    6,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    This is almost the natural logical and depressing evo-(devo?)-lutionary consequence of the disruption digital media 'robber barons' have wrought upon the established hegemonic print, music and television industries. They've totally bypassed old media's long established and enforced principles, structures, strictures of how media was 'meant to work' and have surfed the speedy wave with which social norms and consumer preferences for media consumption changed once digital media started to emerge and evolve.

    It's not a good thing either. And that's not at all to praise the previous structures at all. But the 'eyes on screen' motivation of digital media providers is a horrific outcome for us all. It leads to click bait, lies, hyperbole and being loudest and first and shocking....it wedges...and in turn keeps angry outraged, shocked, titillated consumers on the screen...which is the $$$ payoff for the media in selling advertising.

    Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an 'old man yells at cloud' style rant about the ills of the digital media
    Completely off thread topic but a wider view on the digital world we?re trapped in and how we got here. Happy to delete if I?ve gone too rogue.

    https://disconnect.blog/the-digital-...on-has-failed/
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

  7. Thanks chef, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
  8. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East of the West
    Posts
    9,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Completely off thread topic but a wider view on the digital world we?re trapped in and how we got here. Happy to delete if I?ve gone too rogue.

    https://disconnect.blog/the-digital-...on-has-failed/
    No such thing. Rogue out.
    "It's over. It's all over."

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In renovator's dreams
    Posts
    6,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    No such thing. Rogue out.
    Tim English is an intimidating physical beast.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East of the West
    Posts
    9,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Tim English is an intimidating physical beast.
    Too far. Walk it back.
    "It's over. It's all over."

  11. Likes The Underdog liked this post
  12. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Am I completely biased or does it feel like we get more speculation about losing players than other vic clubs?

    Either way Jamarra is a vital part of the clubs future goibg forward. Moreso than any other player on the list IMO
    We just have better young players than the rest!

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

    Stating the obvious we have some critical strategic decisions to make on where we think the game is headed. In 10 years time what will be the value of the key forward? Ignoring what we do with Darcy (Is he a forward or ruck or something else entirely) we potentially will be locked to >$2M per year on these twin towers when the trend has been for smaller forwards. The growing salary cap helps this, but I'd love to know the internal discussions we are having on this.

    Personally, Marra is the signature of the 3 coming out of contract that I want the most, but I just find it fascinating to see where this ends up and how far we far we are forced to go with Hawks, Swans and probably every other team throwing some massive numbers around his management.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •