Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this Round 1 more important than any other in living memory?

Round 1 is grossly overrated every year. Clubs have rushed players back for it, media/fans have put too much stock into ONE week of a VERY long season ....

... But even knowing that, is our R1 game vs Melbourne more important than any others in living memory?

Melbourne looked ordinary vs Sydney. We are coming off a poor season, forced change, and are simply out of excuses. Most expect finals, some of us expect top 4 and to compete for a flag.

Some solid signs in the second half vs Hawthorn last week, but that second quarter was alarming and a cruel reminder of what we're capable of when we switch off. We live with hope but who could trust this group?

Win vs a fancied rival and confidence will be high.

Lose and the drums will quickly start beating.

Is it just one game? Or can one week make or expose us?

2. Thanks GVGjr, kruder, Sedat, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this Round 1 more important than any other in living memory?

I will say:

We win - really good start
    We lose by a bit and play well - not a total right off for the season but must win round 2.

Hard to know how it will go. Can understand the mistrust of the team and hopefully next week we earn some of it back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year felt the same and we got slammed. Then spanked the week after too.

I think as fans we just build it all up cause we hope and hope again that the team won’t shit the bed. Chances are though…

Post Thanks / Like

No....but....for this group and this coach it is.

Given how little trust we and the wider community have in the team they have to get off to a good start next week to show that the off season talk is translatable into action. A competitive loss in a high standard game is probably a bare pass, but a win would ease some pressure.

From a Bevo perspective it's a critical game. Whilst no one will admit it he has 5 games to prove he is the right man to take the club forward.

6. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Extremely important to get off to a good start. I'm a little worried Melbourne will dust off the cobwebs after that round zero performance and come out swinging next week

8. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it’s a big game for us given the mantra the group have taken to it - our most prepared round one side of the last 10 years should walk away with the chocolates in round one. If we get belted, huge issue. If we lose narrowly, that might be “ok” as probably most in the media are expecting that based on where they see us finishing (outside top 8 and definitely lower than Melbourne).

For us as supporters though, and internally, I think we have much higher expectations and anything other than a win could be deflating.

10. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a long season with 23 games to play, so whilst it is great to have a good start in round one, it is not the end of the world.

Melbourne have dusted off the cobwebs, which gives us a bit of a disadvantage, but I am still looking for a competitive hitout.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is a long season with 23 games to play, so whilst it is great to have a good start in round one, it is not the end of the world.

Melbourne have dusted off the cobwebs, which gives us a bit of a disadvantage, but I am still looking for a competitive hitout.
    Be stuffed with a competitive hit out.

WE NEED TO WIN!!
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 1, in itself, is never a guide to what happens across the season. It?s good to win, it?s bad to lose, but it takes at least three rounds to get a feeling for how the season will pan out.

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Round 1, in itself, is never a guide to what happens across the season. It?s good to win, it?s bad to lose, but it takes at least three rounds to get a feeling for how the season will pan out.
    No doubt.

I'm not confident that we can/will bounce back if Melbourne put a 5+ goal win on us next week though.

This group has proven itself to be very fragile, which is why I think this game has more riding on it for us than any other R1 game that I can recall.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Well....whatever it is for us it just became double that for Melbourne.

I guess we've still got a week to wait. My thoughts are the game is going to be more about establishing behaviours and patterns than winning but the players need to come out of it BELIEVING that everything they've been working on has value.

I just get the sense that despite a lot of effort last pre-season we tipped all of that out after two weeks and essentially started again...that can't happen again. They need to feel the plan WILL work whatever the outcome!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

The two-game rule: Why your club?s flag hopes could be over in March

Read article by clicking above.

Main conclusions are:

Since the turn of the century 94 of the 114 teams who have lost their opening two games of the season have failed to make the finals:

82% Failed to make finals.

This was us last year, so we need a good start. Get over Melbourne and we could be 6 out of opening 6 - all winnable.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think these stats are self fulfilling. Usually teams who lose their first two games are bad and were going to miss the finals anyway. It’s not like good teams lose two games and then suddenly fall victim to the Two Game Curse and forget how to play.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well....whatever it is for us it just became double that for Melbourne.

I guess we've still got a week to wait. My thoughts are the game is going to be more about establishing behaviours and patterns than winning but the players need to come out of it BELIEVING that everything they've been working on has value.

I just get the sense that despite a lot of effort last pre-season we tipped all of that out after two weeks and essentially started again...that can't happen again. They need to feel the plan WILL work whatever the outcome!
    This 100%. It is the first real time opportunity to establish patterns of behaviour and non-negotiable standards within the team. We just need to lay a marker for these standards in Round 1 and keep working consistently and relentlessly on these every week and every training session, and the results will take care of themselves.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I always think these stats are self fulfilling. Usually teams who lose their first two games are bad and were going to miss the finals anyway. It’s not like good teams lose two games and then suddenly fall victim to the Two Game Curse and forget how to play.
    Well if we lose the first two, does that tell us something.