Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  86
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Racism - Vilification Class Action Against AFL/ VFL

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    In a recent Rest is History podcast, they talked about the punishment Carthage handed out to mercenaries who had mutinied to send an example to others (after showing leniency was not having the desired outcome, they changed tactics). They cut their hands off, castrated them, had their legs broken, threw them into a pit and buried them alive. There is sending messages and there is sending messages. From that point on, any prisoners taken by Carthage were trampled to death by elephants. I was wincing when hearing this and thinking that these people were crazy and barbaric. Crazy people. Crazy times.

However, throughout the series, the hosts Dominic and Tom do a good job in reminding us, that you can't judge figures from history using today's standards. You need to judge them using the standards of their time and what they believed at the time. Otherwise, no one from history will stand up to any scrutiny.
    They sacrificed the children of nobles in fire pits as an offering to the gods.

2. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where does it stop or start though? What about all the people racially abused just sitting in the stands in the 70s and 80s? Do they have a claim against the AFL too? Where does it stop?

It is a very slippery slope when you start judging history from todays moral standards.
    In a recent Rest is History podcast, they talked about the punishment Carthage handed out to mercenaries who had mutinied to send an example to others (after showing leniency was not having the desired outcome, they changed tactics). They cut their hands off, castrated them, had their legs broken, threw them into a pit and buried them alive. There is sending messages and there is sending messages. From that point on, any prisoners taken by Carthage were trampled to death by elephants. I was wincing when hearing this and thinking that these people were crazy and barbaric. Crazy people. Crazy times.

However, throughout the series, the hosts Dominic and Tom do a good job in reminding us, that you can't judge figures from history using today's standards. You need to judge them using the standards of their time and what they believed at the time. Otherwise, no one from history will stand up to any scrutiny.
    I'm pretty ok with racists getting their comeuppance.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes Testekill, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Feel the same, they are still racists at heart but they just need to hide it better nowadays.
    The curse is dead.

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically, almost the entire population of Australia is in trouble then. The White Australia Policy only ended just after WWII.

People like my grandparents, who were Italian were not considered white. Anglo Saxon or no entry for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, almost the entire population of Australia is in trouble then. The White Australia Policy only ended just after WWII.

People like my grandparents, who were Italian were not considered white. Anglo Saxon or no entry for you.
    This is a weird hill to die on but I suppose at least up there you're an easy target.

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a weird hill to die on but I suppose at least up there you're an easy target.

My point is, it was a different time. I?m not judging 1940s Australia through a moral lens of 2020. I don?t think anyone should.

That is my point. Everything will be basically canceled in our entire history if we start to do that.

Now. The 1980s may be too close to say it was too long ago. Who knows. But you have to draw a line somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruh
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes EasternWest, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My point is, it was a different time. I?m not judging 1940s Australia through a moral lens of 2020. I don?t think anyone should.

That is my point. Everything will be basically canceled in our entire history if we start to do that.

Now. The 1980s may be too close to say it was too long ago. Who knows. But you have to draw a line somewhere.
    Both things can be true i think.

Wow your grandparents were pioneers AP. Imagine going through the European war and then making a new life in the hope it will be better for future generations 10,000 miles away.

Post Thanks / Like

Cancelled. It was always coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Cancelled. It was always coming.
    Well. I think that is unfair. I have a view on how far back you can go in history to take action or be liable.

My thoughts on any type of racism have been incredibly clear over a long period of time on this forum.

16. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Both things can be true i think.

Wow your grandparents were pioneers AP. Imagine going through the European war and then making a new life in the hope it will be better for future generations 10,000 miles away.
    It is something I contemplate often. But it is the story of many Australians. Today and going back many generations. Lots of sacrifices to create a better life for their families.

My Grandfather came to Australia in 1949. Four years before my mother, her sibilings and my grandmother came to Australia. My mother was born after he left. My Grandfather didn't see my Mum until she was four. He got on a boat, sailed to the other side of the world where he only knew a few people, had zero money, didn't speak the language and had almost no communication with his family back home. He went to work to save some money and see if it was possible to bring his family to Australia for a better life. I often think how bad things must have been in Italy post WWII for so many people to take this path. It wasn't an easy path.

My mum arrived when she was four. They did create a much better life for themeselves and the next generation and the one after. My Grandfather lived a full life and passed when he was 94. My Grandmother is still alive. She will turn 102 in a few months time. She has eight Grandchildren and thirteen Great Grandchildren.

It is amazing the opportunities this country created and has given to countless migrants going back hundreds of years.

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this an erotic podcast?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is this an erotic podcast?
    Depends on how much you love history.... Or herstory

Post Thanks / Like

Going back to my earlier post, if the AFL/ VFL was just a reflection of society at the time, which was a reflection of the political will of the time, which was a reflection of the will of the people at the time, how much culpability exists?

Racists should get their comeuppance, sure, it's something I encourage, but the very racists in question won't be targeted - the league will financially and I don't know if that's the best place to start if the the league was just a standard representation of the bulk of society.

All of this would be a lot easier if we all just admitted we were racist, and still are in a lot of ways. It would definitely take the heat out of things......and maybe start the process of reconciliation.

I was a terrible racist (by what I view as a standard) until my early to mid-teens. In my mind it wasn't malicious, it was just how I fitted in until I matured and earned/ developed different perspectives. I carry some shame because of it, but more so I am proud to have matured and to have developed a different perspective and I feel good about that. Just be honest people. It'll help heal a lot of hurt.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

23. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well. I think that is unfair. I have a view on how far back you can go in history to take action or be liable.

My thoughts on any type of racism have been incredibly clear over a long period of time on this forum.
    I just can't take anyone seriously that uses the term "cancelled" unironically. It devalues anything said around it.

The war on "cancel culture" became the holy cause of the right, all the while the screamed like babies and are the most easily triggered snowflakes in the universe.

You wanna have a serious conversation I'm down for it. You wanna trot out Trumpist catch cries I'm out.