Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  86
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Racism - Vilification Class Action Against AFL/ VFL

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    When you call someone "white passing" (whatever that means) you are making an evaluation of an individual through nothing but a lens of colour. That is not how I live, and I personally think a person's immutable birth characteristics are some of the least interesting things about any individual.

It's getting a bit circular on this thread. I'm happy to hold the belief Australia is far less racist now than it was 40 years ago and others are more than welcome to disagree.
    I don't think anyone's disagreeing with this statement. Well, I've not interpreted posts to suggest so.

A bit like when people say society is out of control, it's all relative to what we deem is acceptable or a level we aspire to for our society to be like. Society is well and truly/ overwhelmingly in control, even when it seems like it isn't, because the out of control stuff seems so visible.

That's how I see racism in Australia under normal conditions. But tweak a few things like cost of living or unemployment, and the pressure those things create in society make people more susceptible to backsliding towards the bad old days. Let's see how racist we aren't if a recession hits and the next federal election is heavily campaigned on stopping brown people coming to Australia by boat and African youth crime gangs in Melbourne and Sydney.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Racism - Vilification Class Action Against AFL/ VFL

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the discussions but we have clearly moved away from the original point of the thread so it's time to wrap it up. Please feel free to send me a message if there are some good reasons to keep it open as I'm happy to review.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Happy Days, SquirrelGrip liked this post