Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  192
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demons V Bulldogs - Round 1 17/3/24 MCG 1.00pm

Bevo

Sam Darcy. He is building up his match minutes. He will be a ruck forward over time. If we pick too many talls and rucks our run is compromised.

Post Thanks / Like

We also lost every single quarter. We also had less scoring shots in every single quarter.

Q1 lost by one point
    Q2 lost b 11 points
    Q3 lost by 7 points
    Q3 lost by 26 points

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Bevo

Sam Darcy. He is building up his match minutes. He will be a ruck forward over time. If we pick too many talls and rucks our run is compromised.
    what run?

they were not even walking to position.

4. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of adjectives I could use to describe that performance and most of them begin with "in" or "un". But I always like to look for the positives. For example, we are in a better position than Collingwood at the moment.
    That being said this game was de ja vue (spl?) all over again. Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, May - did as they liked.

I think it looks very poor when Gawn is able to just take the ball out of the ruck whenever he chooses and just handball to advantage. He invariably assumed front position at throw ins as he it was his birthright.

Another area where we are badly deficent is in kicking the psychologically important goal. Not all goals have the same impact on team morale. Not all goals have "momentum value". Seize the moment? No, we let it slip through our fingers as if it were an eel soaked in olive oil.

Caleb Daniel should have been in the starting line up.

Libba was heroic.

We will win next week.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    There are a lot of adjectives I could use to describe that performance and most of them begin with "in" or "un". But I always like to look for the positives. For example, we are in a better position than Collingwood at the moment.
    That being said this game was de ja vue (spl?) all over again. Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, May - did as they liked.

I think it looks very poor when Gawn is able to just take the ball out of the ruck whenever he chooses and just handball to advantage. He invariably assumed front position at throw ins as he it was his birthright.

Another area where we are badly deficent is in kicking the psychologically important goal. Not all goals have the same impact on team morale. Not all goals have "momentum value". Seize the moment? No, we let it slip through our fingers as if it were an eel soaked in olive oil.

Caleb Daniel should have been in the starting line up.

Libba was heroic.

We will win next week.
    Yep. Every time. English twice in the third quarter. Start of the last quarter. Chance to make something happen. Marra miss. Naughton miss. Marra, miss again.

Post Thanks / Like

I must give Jamarra some credit. He competed really well and tried to make things happen.

I was really disappointed that no one came to back up Harmes after that flog May roughed him up TWICE. A mini melee at least was called for
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I must give Jamarra some credit. He competed really well and tried to make things happen.

I was really disappointed that no one came to back up Harmes after that flog May roughed him up TWICE. A mini melee at least was called for
    Not surprising though.

This group is fragile, soft, and weak. Melbourne know it.
    W00F!

11. Likes DOG GOD, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did we allow them to chip and walk through us from deep in our own F50?

Why wasn't it addressed?

Is the message and game plan wrong, or are players not following instruction?

The fact we couldn't adapt all day to something so simple astounds me. Are we dumb, lazy, or both?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Why wasn't it addressed?

The fact we couldn't adapt all day to something so simple astounds me. Are we dumb, lazy, or both?
    Bevo mentioned this in the presser. It was the number one thing he identifeid where we failed. We allowed them to pierce us at will. They had 50+ uncontested marks more than the AFL average.

It was horrendous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I dunno if I wanna do another year of this. I like myself more when the footy isn?t the centre of my life. I wish I just went to the movies or something today.
    I feel the same. Not saying I can walk away but this same old gaslighting is not great for my state of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really concerned about our backend going into the game and wasn't confident considering what we have dished up the last two years so a loss wasn't totally unexpected but what is a massive concern though, is that you couldn't see anything that the club had hung their hat on during preseason come to fruition.

-The only 2 players that looked fitter were West and yep I'm going to say this Mcsteal. Now this is my biggest concern more than anything. The rhetoric about not having to go to Springvale to train, new facilities, new fitness coach, fitness group ever in Bevo's era to kick off the season etc etc etc It was non existent. A good example was Cody, not once during the game did we see his improved running ability impact the game, we barely saw him up the field at all.

-Naughty also played pretty deep for the most part and like in the GF we did nothing about moving him up the field to him to get into the game. A guy that signed a mega deal, in the leadership group it was a disappointing day indeed. When the Dees started the run on surely he can go back at times? He pushed up a lot higher in the preseason I was very surprised that his role felt very 2023 again.

-Bevo continuing to select players that will never be AFL players. Buku has always been a liability when the ball hits the ground, he runs around like a little leaguer he just lacks urgency for defence. Mcsteal and VDM aren't natural small forwards they never will be.

-We get too many similar performances from English for a player of his ability and contract demands$$$ I can't remember a player that has to be reminded to compete at half time as much as Tim does. He looked more dangerous forward and must be prepared to play there at times to benefit the team.

Ageing midfield, yep looked older again today. In fairness we recognised this hence selling the farm for Sanders and have been unlucky with Smith. I'm fine with Macca not playing today considering his issues but yeah I think we need to try something different in there. Gags is going to be an AFL player that I can assure you all but once we get JOD back I agree I wouldn't mind seeing ED going in there.

You could hear Lade on the Doco on Lobb saying to the players at quarter time at the WO simulation game let's not go to sleep like we normally do after a good quarter. I did find it interesting hearing it and yep we were poor in the second quarter in that game and this time it started a few minutes to go in the first. Another run on, I can hear Kane Cornes already and rightly so.

Ball movement looked great for 10 minutes when JJ had them in his pocket early but once again another significant factor of our demise last year came out to haunt us. Are we playing the modern game? Could any woofers see anything different ?

While I'm half glass empty, 44k for a beautiful day at the G? We nearly have 100k members between us that crowd was reflective of our performance.

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo mentioned this in the presser. It was the number one thing he identifeid where we failed. We allowed them to pierce us at will. They had 50+ uncontested marks more than the AFL average.

It was horrendous.
    This is where the journalism sucks.

Ask WHY it wasn't rectified. It was happening from the beginning.

If we can't adapt mid game to something that simple I'm at a loss to expecting anything from this group.
    W00F!

18. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was horrendous.
    Jack Billings had 15 uncontested marks, all on the wing. What did we do in game to combat this?

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the match. It was a warm day for the footy and looking forward to the cooler weather soon and daylight saving ending going back one hour.

Not a great day and plenty to learn from our first outing for 2024.

The match as one poster mentioned turned early in the 2nd quarter with that burst of goals once again which we know so well and seems to happen far too often against us

Need to make some changes going into the match against Gold Coast next week. We must put some work into Rowell in particular next week.

Hopefully Macrae comes back and Daniel starts that match. Need to fix that defence up as well. It was woeful. O'Donnell would have been good down there today.

Still need to take our chances when we go forward once again.

Thought Bramble, Marra and West were positives today. Bont and Libba did what they do but it can't be just them. I liked JJ game and Liam Jones intercepted very well down there.

Tough debuts for Sanders and Gallagher.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Why wasn't it addressed?

TBB we didn't man the mark again if felt like 2022 when we were sagging off all the time.