Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  234
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Hey have a bit of sympathy for Cox, Essendon couldnt develop bread into toast.
    Haven’t seen a champion come out of that club in 20 years
    This is my sentiments as well.
    Not only are they playing Cox in a position his never played, but Essendon cannot develop white on rice. Cox is a pure winger, not a defender, throwing him on Finlayson last week was just nuts.

Im glad that we're at least identified our problem areas (Wings, defense) and we're looking to trade in to fix them. I wouldn't be opposed to us targeting another small pressure forward as well.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Double

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Do you start with question marks on purpose? Is this a cultural thing?

Anyway,
    https://www.afl.com.au/news/1075799/...ealed-for-2023

Lobb is on barely above average. Rucks are hard to come by and ones that can actually play are even harder to find (hence why BTC is still on the St.Kilda list). I don't know what kind of salary Sweet has (I'm just going by discussions held here previously with regards to English's salary) but do you think a decent backup like him (arguably still worse than Lobb) is on a lot less? Given he was recruited to another team do you think he's on 400k? 300? 200?

What I'm saying is

1. You're wrong about him being on 'big coin'
    2. He's very good depth in a position where we have no depth
    3. We'd get more benefit from removing the larger salaries of Macrae or Daniel who are looking fringe best 22 at best and play in positions where we do have depth.

Also Macrae has played 1.25 games of AFL this year. He's more VFL player than AFL as of this moment if we want to try and be picky about him 'currently playing firsts'.

Lastly who is Goldsmith? Do you mean Goldstein? Because I doubt he's on super low pay either and doubt he'd have moved to be a VFL player.
    Sorry I?m not going through all that rubbish. So someone above the average and playing vfl is not on big coin. Yeah right.
    My point was we are stuck with him because of the cost and his age unless we give him up for little.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey have a bit of sympathy for Cox, Essendon couldnt develop bread into toast.
    Haven?t seen a champion come out of that club in 20 years
    Agreed but highly doubt Essendon are giving up a top 10 pick cheaply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Sorry I?m not going through all that rubbish. So someone above the average and playing vfl is not on big coin. Yeah right.
    My point was we are stuck with him because of the cost and his age unless we give him up for little.
    I think you should probably go through it, agree it's not rubbish, and apologise for calling it so.

Cut out the first two steps if you like. Maybe nail the third.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I’d offer Lobb an extension. But his last year spread over two years and a smidge more. Maybe he wants another club, maybe he wants another year at least. We flatten his salary again.

He’s great depth, and in form is best 23. Also, if he wants to trade out while he’s under contract and while we have an extension on the table then Sam Power has shown he will only trade in these circumstances for a good result.

Macrae I think with his years and salary is the obvious one to go if there’s interest. We won’t get much, but I guess hypothetically is Smith goes too there’s picks and cash to target players from other clubs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Personally, I’d offer Lobb an extension. But his last year spread over two years and a smidge more. Maybe he wants another club, maybe he wants another year at least. We flatten his salary again.

He’s great depth, and in form is best 23. Also, if he wants to trade out while he’s under contract and while we have an extension on the table then Sam Power has shown he will only trade in these circumstances for a good result.

Macrae I think with his years and salary is the obvious one to go if there’s interest. We won’t get much, but I guess hypothetically is Smith goes too there’s picks and cash to target players from other clubs.
    Read somewhere Macrae has 2 years after this one left on his contract

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run a contracts thread but we don’t do it here anymore. So I checked footywire and fox footy and it says 2027. 3 more years after this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes EasternWest, Happy Days, azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here, Lobb is a good player to have on the list and there aren't any signs that he is slowing down. If he is happy to stay and take his chances on being selected then extending his contract and flattening it out a bit makes sense.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JLM, love your passion and your contributions here, but unless I'm missing some pretext here, I don't see anything in hujsh's exchange that should warrant such a hostile and dismissive response?

Difference of opinion and articulating your point of view are all supported here, but I don't understand the anger, when hujsh has simply provided an argument to support his view. If you disagree, then this is the space to argue against the points he's made. Isn't that part of the fun of being on a forum is the opportunity to safely argue and get perspective from others?

I don't know man, there doesn't seem much fun to be had at blasting others who seem to be simply engaging with you in conversation in good faith.

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes chef, GVGjr, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Cox is apparently quite tall and mobile from what I can gather (forgive me, nobody in the media has ever stated him as such), so I reckon he may have a bit of development in him at 22.
    He may even be athletic
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run a contracts thread but we don’t do it here anymore. So I checked footywire and fox footy and it says 2027. 3 more years after this.
    I'm not sure everyone is in on the joke BT. Check the contract thread JLM - all the current contract lengths (to the best of my knowledge) can be found in the OP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not sure everyone is in on the joke BT. Check the contract thread JLM - all the current contract lengths (to the best of my knowledge) can be found in the OP.
    Joke? What joke?

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of player is Cox and have we got other players that are the same ?
    Seems Essendon can’t decide what he is.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of player is Cox and have we got other players that are the same ?
    Seems Essendon can’t decide what he is.
    For those that want tall, lean and younger players then Cox fits that bill but the jury is out on where he might fit into a senior side
    I'm not sure if we would be interested in him or not.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"