Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Totally incapacitated: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    I wonder how this is being received at the club and among past and present players:

    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...13-p5fc70.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

  2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    61,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    The Doctors will be pissed off with him, that is for sure.

    I remember the two times Picken was knocked out and both times were pure accidents when he hit the pack, and an accidental hit to his head whilst everyone was going for the ball.

    This from The Age last Year

    Picken?s lawyers claimed he returned several irregular cognitive test results during his career but was not alerted to the fact.
    Picken also reportedly suffers from photophobia, or an aversion to bright light.

    In documents filed with the Supreme Court of Victoria on Wednesday, Picken claims the club and doctors breached its duty of care to him.

    Principal lawyer at National Compensation Lawyers, Michael Tanner told The Age Picken was unaware of the extent of his head injuries.

    ?From Liam?s perspective, he was never made aware of his failings of any cognitive assessment he ever underwent. Further to that, he did not necessarily understand the full extent of his injuries or his symptoms,? Tanner said.

    ?What he did was voice his concerns about his symptoms. The medical advice given to him at the time was (he was) still fit to play.?
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    15,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Doctors will be pissed off with him, that is for sure.

    I remember the two times Picken was knocked out and both times were pure accidents when he hit the pack, and an accidental hit to his head whilst everyone was going for the ball.

    This from The Age last Year
    They are inherent risks when playing a contact sport. I'm not sure how far this goes tbh. I feel terrible for Liam that it's had such an affect on his life.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    9,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    I hope at least the doctors PI insurance will cover any damages or we might as well shut the doors between this and the other lawsuit.

  6. Likes Grantysghost, Bullies liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They are inherent risks when playing a contact sport. I'm not sure how far this goes tbh. I feel terrible for Liam that it's had such an affect on his life.
    It's not really about the incidents, more so the governance and communication surrounding their consequences, and exposure to more of them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

  8. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    8,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They are inherent risks when playing a contact sport. I'm not sure how far this goes tbh. I feel terrible for Liam that it's had such an affect on his life.
    True and I doubt he's arguing about that point, it looks like what he's saying is Dr's were aware of the outcomes of his tests indicating cognitive decline, but withheld this from him and when Liam voiced concerns they told him he was fit to play. Sounds like potential governance and duty of care breaches if true.

  10. Likes Mofra liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    15,359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    True and I doubt he's arguing about that point, it looks like what he's saying is Dr's were aware of the outcomes of his tests indicating cognitive decline, but withheld this from him and when Liam voiced concerns they told him he was fit to play. Sounds like potential governance and duty of care breaches if true.
    Yeah true yhf. Not sure the club can absorb another massive payout.
    He's really gunning for the club over the afl which is interesting; imagine the can of worms.

  12. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Totally incapacitated: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Loved Picko as a player.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    True and I doubt he's arguing about that point, it looks like what he's saying is Dr's were aware of the outcomes of his tests indicating cognitive decline, but withheld this from him and when Liam voiced concerns they told him he was fit to play. Sounds like potential governance and duty of care breaches if true.
    Don't really know the full details, but like the abuse case applying 2024 standards and protocol's to events that happened 5 to 10 years before is dangerous. Are you telling me that if Picken had been KO'd in the Prelim (like Ward) he would have not played in the GF unless protocol's prevented him? Players don't want to hear that there is something wrong. They would want to have some proof that the results were not communicated.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ?Totally incapacitated?: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Don't really know the full details, but like the abuse case applying 2024 standards and protocol's to events that happened 5 to 10 years before is dangerous. Are you telling me that if Picken had been KO'd in the Prelim (like Ward) he would have not played in the GF unless protocol's prevented him? Players don't want to hear that there is something wrong. They would want to have some proof that the results were not communicated.
    I don't think that's the allegation at all. It's the relevant medical information was not disclosed to him so he could make an informed decision

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Totally incapacitated: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    I find it fascinating that Peter Gordon has effectively shifted sides. He spent his whole career fighting for the little guy in class actions like this. Now he is on the side of the Big Bad Wolf. I imagine he has battled internally with this and I'd love to know how he has managed this himself. I reckon this would have been pretty tough.

    As for picko, I'm taking him at face value and it breaks my heart to hear the challenges he is facing.I hope that the club is able to put aside the legal side acknowledging that this is a part of the rapidly changed landscape of the last decade and are still accepting of him at the club and treating him like the courageous legend that he is. He without compromise spilt plenty of blood for our jumper.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Totally incapacitated: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    I find it fascinating that Peter Gordon has effectively shifted sides. He spent his whole career fighting for the little guy in class actions like this. Now he is on the side of the Big Bad Wolf. I imagine he has battled internally with this and I'd love to know how he has managed this himself. I reckon this would have been pretty tough.

    As for picko, I'm taking him at face value and it breaks my heart to hear the challenges he is facing.I hope that the club is able to put aside the legal side acknowledging that this is a part of the rapidly changed landscape of the last decade and are still accepting of him at the club and treating him like the courageous legend that he is. He without compromise spilt plenty of blood for our jumper.
    Well put Glove38

  18. Thanks Glove38 thanked for this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Totally incapacitated: Liam Picken seeks separate trial to AFL concussion class action

    It?s just sad all round, especially for Liam and his young family. Picko was my fave player, along with Libba. I just hope medical science can help him attain a reasonably quality of life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •