Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2x Matchup Questions for Melbourne (Maybe 3!).

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    1/. Who takes Fritsch and why?

2/. Who takes Pickett.

3/. Do we tag Petracca and if yes, with WHO??
    I'll go with an unconventional and say it should be Dale but it will probably be Coffield.
    The reason why is that Dale has the pace to go with him and while we would lose some of his run and drive I'd nearly be prepared to cop that given it is Fritsch. Coffield could be a good option but Richards would be my next choice. He's strong and quick enough to match up on Fritsch

JJ has to be the one to to Pickett. It might be Bramble in our planning but I'd prefer JJ.
    The concern is potentially losing a 2nd play maker.

Harmes could get a few 5 minute bursts on Petracca but we won't tag a lot.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll go with an unconventional and say it should be Dale but it will probably be Coffield.
    The reason why is that Dale has the pace to go with him and while we would lose some of his run and drive I'd nearly be prepared to cop that given it is Fritsch. Coffield could be a good option but Richards would be my next choice. He's strong and quick enough to match up on Fritsch

JJ has to be the one to to Pickett. It might be Bramble in our planning but I'd prefer JJ.
    The concern is potentially losing a 2nd play maker.

Harmes could get a few 5 minute bursts on Petracca but we won't tag a lot.
    Like Ed or Dale on Fritsch. His main weapon is his pace. Think Ed is better equipped to stop his marking ability though.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards on Fritsch. Bramble on Pickett. Harmes on Petracca if he starts to run away with the match.

Their best key forward is JVR, but he?s not much bigger than Khamis and I suspect Khamis might be able to manage him while Jones sits on Brown. Obviously can change over if needed.

5. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fritsch is good overhead and has a decent leap. I don't think Dale or Richards could go with him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd go Richards on Fritsch. Dale doesn't have the defensive game or nous, and we need somebody to play him tight. I think Ed has the best balance of attack vs defend.

JJ for Pickett but I think it'll be Bramble as we won't want to sacrifice two playmakers in Richards and JJ.

Khamis to JVR, Jones to Brown.
    W00F!

8. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Fritsch is good overhead and has a decent leap. I don't think Dale or Richards could go with him.
    Ed is pretty good overhead. Maybe need JOD for both pace and marking? I think Coffield might be a bit slow for Fritz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Ed is pretty good overhead. Maybe need JOD for both pace and marking? I think Coffield might be a bit slow for Fritz.
    JOD not playing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Bevo has never looked to tag but if Petracca gets going maybe Harmes gets an assignment.
    I disagree. There's a certain game in 2016 where Libba went the hardest of tags after halftime on JP Kennedy and that was a big reason we won that game.

I suspect we got Harmes for a role - although in this instance, I suspect Salem get sent to defence as their prime rebounder and Harmes plays HF and goes to him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/. Who takes Fritsch and why?

2/. Who takes Pickett.

3/. Do we tag Petracca and if yes, with WHO??
    1. Dale. Fritsch is going to be dangerous anyway, use Dale as much as possible and make that match-up Melbourne's problem (seize the initiative as US marines would say). I don't think Coff has the pace for Fritsch and after 2 years out of the game it's a huge ask. Dale has the reach to go with him and the agility.

2. Bramble. I have faith in nobody to cover Pickett but we want to free up Richards and JJ may well be the sub. At least Bramble can run with him and the guy is playing for his career so we know he'll be desperate.

1. No - I suspect with their forward woes Trac spends time forward, and on form over pre-season and Round 0 Viney is their best mid anyway.

On a side note - Clarry won a heap of the ball last week and hacked it forward to nobody all game. Last year we didn't have much intercept capability, this round we should have Coff & Buks taking 2-4 intercept marks each. It should be a massive increase on last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm struggling to comprehend our defensive match ups/roles.

I don't think we have any single player that can match Fritsch or Pickett, or anyone that can effectively tag Petracca.

We will rely on our overall defensive setups/zones, and midfield slowing down forward entries.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned, but I'm sure Melbourne fans are having similar discussions about Bont and our forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I don't think we have any single player that can match Fritsch or Pickett, or anyone that can effectively tag Petracca.

We will rely on our overall defensive setups/zones, and midfield slowing down forward entries.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned, but I'm sure Melbourne fans are having similar discussions about Bont and our forwards.
    Pickett and Fritsch in the expanses of the G are massive worries.
    I can see why Bramble is in.

Is this our biggest game in recent history considering the off season.

We get hammered, woweeeee it's going to come hard and fast.

Nothing in our pre-season makes me think we can beat Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Their fans on their forums actually think our backline looks awful. Haven?t even seen discussion from them about midfield match ups, just crying about the selection of Brown and McDonald, then saying hopefully their poor inclusion is cancelled out by our poor backline.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not selection, that's our entire list.

Aside from Bailey Smith who can't play, our two best taggers (Libba & Harmes) are in the side

Post Thanks / Like

And in round 1 that would be a good time to send a message to everyone in Footy that there's something a bit different about this 2024 Bulldogs team. Hard edged and hard to beat.
    1000%

We need to make a statement and stand our ground all game. Watching sydney last night was watching a team that have come to play this season. I want to see the same intensity and fitness over 4 quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

I?d like Richards to Pickett, just as hard and tough. I think Buku to Frish*t, leave Coffield to play the loose intercepting role. I think he has better footy smarts of where to be when.