Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Head, Young Shoulders (aka Liam Jones could be a forward in 2024).

Once upon a time Liam Jones was drafted to the Dogs to be a forward.

The senior coach LOVED him - LOVED his talent anyway - and anointed him as 'The Chosen One'...the one who would lead us out of the key forward doldrums and to victory. But young Liam couldn't translate the occasional strong training performances (a SAFE environment) into much of anything on match day (an UN-SAFE environment).

Eventually, club and player grew tired of one another and off Liam chuffed to Carlton. Where he also was going to be a key forward...but that didn't work. So he was assigned to the VFL. Where, one day, he was moved back...and he took a couple of catches ('cos the pressure was off) and a new career was born...Liam the tall defender.

The story to this point has some good parts to it - redemption and all - but the Carlton Liam and the post-COVID Dogs Liam are very different players. In 2023, Liam was a tough, mean SOB who really took no prisoners. He would leave his man to impact on the contest, he would risk a goal to his opponent to help a team-mate...he was TRANSFORMED. The Carlton half-back version wasn't like that...he was a nice interceptor but that other stuff? Well, yeah, sorta maybe sometimes.

What's the point of all this rambling. You cannot put an old head on young shoulders. Some learn faster and others, but turning into a tough, reliable consistent player doesn't just happen. Life and playing experience brings it. Understanding that it must be team > self doesn't just happen...and sometimes players who have early success never do truly learn that lesson and find their careers over well before their time (insert examples here!!). In short, if Liam was to play forward now - he would be an absolute handful - he would cause chaos and make life miserable for defenders. He NOW KNOWS what it takes to play and compete from week to week.

How many of his team-mates understand this? I think Bont does. I hope post 21 GF that Liber does. Duryea certainly does...I suspect Harmes does (but that remains to be seen). Coffield's injury history means he probably does...Is there anyone else?

Who do you trust right now to deliver the level of contest that you have to just KNOW Jones will deliver time after time? Who has spent time in that 'un-safe environment' under pressure - real pressure - enough times to know what it takes to come through it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks azabob, Bulldog Joe, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Head, Young Shoulders (aka Liam Jones could be a forward in 2024).

As always MJP you bring up really good points.

Isn't this really the life lessons on a broader scale that become available, through experience, to everyone.

As with those life lessons experience is valuable, but only for those who are prepared to learn.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    As always MJP you bring up really good points.

Isn't this really the life lessons on a broader scale that become available, through experience, to everyone.

As with those life lessons experience is valuable, but only for those who are prepared to learn.
    Well - also only to those who get the opportunity to learn.

I guess I wanted to post it differently:

"Dreamers Pick KIDS"...but that seemed mean spirited and I think everyone is sick of hearing me say it.

Caleb Daniel needs to be in our team this weekend. And NOT as the sub.

5. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Caleb Daniel needs to be in our team this weekend. And NOT as the sub.
    Totally agree, he is so creative and doesn't waste a ball. I like him in the backline feeding the wingers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Adam Treloar is one who probably gets it after the Collingwood fiasco, though his game lends itself to lapses at times (particularly with his two-way running).

It will be interesting to see when Jack gets back into the side whether he does. A three time AA who should be playing on the ball, who needed to be leaner but stronger at the same time. I haven't seen his shape much this preseason, if he's to adapt he needs to move on top of the ground a bit better both ways. He also needs to get back to his understated yet uncompromising tough self.

Bailey Smith has an opportunity to develop a huge amount of resilience as a result of his past two years and this one coming. There was nobody bigger in Australia in September 2021 (maybe Dan Andrews!), and it's been a fair shit sandwich for him since.

Richards, Williams and Dale are space cadets at times. I can't get a read on them. Alex Keath I think would be one of those heads due to the different environments he's worked in, but his body is failing him.

Our forwards? Speaking of space cadets I can barely relate to them! They're all a bit nice, they all seem a bit comfortable to me - but I'm an old fart who just wants them to kick straighter.

Speaking of rambling, I don't even think I've captured the spirit of the thread with any of that!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Who do you trust right now to deliver the level of contest that you have to just KNOW Jones will deliver time after time? Who has spent time in that 'un-safe environment' under pressure - real pressure - enough times to know what it takes to come through it.
    This is the big issue here.
    We're considered 'talented' as a list but we really do have very few players you can trust to deliver.

I trust Naughton will compete in every phase of the game, but will he complete? It's a week to week proposition until he kicks a bag of 5.0 (ish)

Marra? Right now it's more hope than delivery. He looks ready to take the next step but he has to do it in-season.

Treloar is one, while his body holds up. He couldn't have done much more in a particular game in Perth.
    Libba? Yep for sure. Bont definitely, as long as it's not a set shot at goal.
    Right now in defence I trust Jones & Richards. Nobody else.

We have a lot to prove as a team this year, but many players have a fair bit to prove on an individual level too. Even some "stars"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes GVGjr, Prince Imperial, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of that one game that never happened, Roarke Smith was somebody who over time I trusted to play to the extent of his physical capabilities and talent.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Mofra, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Speaking of that one game that never happened, Roarke Smith was somebody who over time I trusted to play to the extent of his physical capabilities and talent.
    Ditto. You knew you were getting max effort each game. I hope Harmes becomes that dependable team-first role player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not at first...but as his career went along, he was so reliable. If he got his hands on a high ball, he marked it. If there was a fight for the ball near the boundary, he made sure the ball went OOB.

It's not rocket science. Take moments seriously and get the job done.