• Move Naughton back

10 35.71%
  • Wait another 4 rounds then decide

6 21.43%
  • Make a move end of year and he trains as a backman

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL great urges Dogs to switch Naughton back as current mix ?can?t win finals?

link

The Western Bulldogs are ?wasting? Aaron Naughton?s talent in the forward line, according to dual premiership Kangaroo David King, who implored Luke Beveridge to switch the star key position player into defence.

The Dogs were convincingly defeated in a 45-point loss to Melbourne to open their season, with Aaron Naughton booting only one goal from six disposals and one mark.

Originally drafted as a defender, Naughton has flourished as a forward, kicking 44, 51 and 47 goals respectively over the last three seasons.

However speaking on Fox Footy?s The First Crack, King believes the Dogs more urgently need Naughton down back, particularly given Sam Darcy can come into the senior side to fill the key forward void.

?I don?t know if I know a greater waste of talent in the forward half ? that?s a marquee player in our competition ? that should be playing centre half back,? King said on the program.

?I?ve said this for two or three years, I think he?s All-Australian caliber. They lack an intercept marker down back. Liam Jones is a fantastic intercept player, but he had to go to (Bayley) Fritsch, so he?s the next layer back.

?They need a Naughton down there. They?ve got Darcy in the twos, he can play that (forward) role, so why not utilise all the magnets and weaponry you?ve got and spread them evenly across the field.?

King highlighted how the Dogs against Melbourne only kicked to Naughton twice instead 50, saying ?he had to outmark five guys.?

Also pointing to Beveridge?s side?s inability to get intercepts in the defensive half ? and use it to counter punch ? King thinks the Dogs ?have to look at? moving Naughton back for the betterment of the team.

?Again only 59 intercepts (against Melbourne) ? and they were bottom four in the competition last year,? King said of the Dogs.

?If you can?t win the ball back in the game in 2024, you can?t win. You can?t win big finals and you won?t be there in September in any meaningful way.

?So they?ve got a decision to make ? do they stay stubborn with this all charge forward mentality they?ve got at the moment? Or do they accept what everyone else can see??

Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagana concurred, arguing the emergence of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who kicked 2.3 against the Demons, as the focal up forward gives Beveridge more flexibility to tinker with his mix.

?To support that argument, Jamarra is now their No. 1 man (up forward). He is growing and we spoke about it last year ? he was on the verge,? Montagna said on The First Crack.

?I thought he was very, very good (against Melbourne). I think they can build around Jamarra and make him the No. 1 man.?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL great urges Dogs to switch Naughton back as current mix ?can?t win finals?

Over the past few years, King has said plays forward, then changes his mind and says move backline.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL great urges Dogs to switch Naughton back as current mix ?can?t win finals?

You could mount an argument for him to go back and be right, and you could also mount an argument for him to stay forward and also be right.

Talking about individuals doesn't really interest me - I'm personally more interested in how the entire team is defending the entire ground when we don't have the ball, and what structures/tactics we have in place to win it back from the opposition? Do we have elite kickers to be able to work around the press, like Sydney have done the last 2 weeks against top 4 opposition?

Having a strong clearance/stoppage game is not enough - even Carlton have acknowledged this. Next month of footy will be very interesting.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I truly understand those who want to keep him as a forward due to his success there in the last few years, but a part of me dreams of him playing CHB.

I can imagine Bevo telling him to back himself to mark every time, and him using his aerial marking ability, strength and agility to be involved at ground level also. He's fantastic at ground level pressure. I honestly see him as a Darcy Moore type who would rarely get beaten in a marking contest.

Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed though. Bevo has been too stubborn to at least consider it when required the last few years, and now Naughton truly believes he's a rockstar key forward only. I could see us asking him to move back really rubbing him the wrong way, and that's a decision we'll now have to live with for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Talking about individuals doesn't really interest me...
    ...I'm sort of with you. But the people do influence the plan and the plan influences the people.

Hit up option covered? Well - going short to a 1-v-1 is dumb...don't do that - kick it in.
    Big pack in the goal-square (or wherever the 'long' option is)...kicking it to a group of players is also dumb. Show some composure and find a hit-up.

I'm a lot more relaxed about everything today.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes Sedat, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a no brainer, the side would look more balanced.
    It's moot. Will never happen.

Lever would be a 50 goal a year forward.

Lobb and his recruitment over a KPD is the issue.

8. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It won't happen anytime soon. The reality is he hasn't played or trained as a defender for a LONG time.

I get the argument that he made the change to being a forward late, so why not the other way around.

As bad as he was yesterday, our problems are far deeper than where we play Naughton. IF we get a change of coach, it would certainly be an interesting discussion for the future.
    W00F!

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It won't happen anytime soon. The reality is he hasn't played or trained as a defender for a LONG time.

I get the argument that he made the change to being a forward late, so why not the other way around.

As bad as he was yesterday, our problems are far deeper than where we play Naughton. IF we get a change of coach, it would certainly be an interesting discussion for the future.
    Easton Wood changed to the forward line seamlessly.

Yes agree we can't just chuck him back and expect a Jake Lever.

He's a forward for Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Easton Wood changed to the forward line seamlessly.

Yes agree we can't just chuck him back and expect a Jake Lever.

He's a forward for Bevo.
    Forward is much harder to play than down back. No way Lever kicks 50.

Naughton has kicked 44, 51 and 47 goals in past few years. Until we replace that, then we keep him there. If JUH kicks 50 plus this year, then maybe Naughton trains at CHB next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm a lot more relaxed about everything today.
    How come?

Are you relaxed because you are confident moving forward we are going to improve?

Or you have accepted we are what we are and the season will be an up and down one?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How come?

Are you relaxed because you are confident moving forward we are going to improve?

Or you have accepted we are what we are and the season will be an up and down one?
    He's probably not into panicking over stuff he can't control.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What if Naughton signed on the dotted line on the proviso the club would play him forward?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What if Naughton signed on the dotted line on the proviso the club would play him forward?
    And that wouldn’t surprise me at all.
    For me Naughton is a rockstar fwd who is a flat track bully against shit opposition, and hardly gets a touch against the BEST defenders. Sometimes I think he worries more about his head band than his game.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

17. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Forward is much harder to play than down back. No way Lever kicks 50.

Naughton has kicked 44, 51 and 47 goals in past few years. Until we replace that, then we keep him there. If JUH kicks 50 plus this year, then maybe Naughton trains at CHB next year.
    He might kick 70. Point was, they put their best tall intercept players in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Then we are dickheads.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post