Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  63
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 3 vs West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Outs: Coffield (inj) Richards (concussion) VDM (hopeless)

Ins:

Keath would have to be close to a recall. He's in good form at Footscray. He replaces Coffield. This would then enable Buku to play more as an interceptor. Williams can help in the back half as well.

Macrae, because he is a very good footballer

Garcia, has been outstanding at Footscray. His form should be rewarded.

This thing about VDM in the forward line has got to end. I'm sorry but he is probably the most ineffective small forward Ive ever seen in our jumper for the amount of opportunity he has been given. He just has no forward craft or instincts for goal. He is far better suited as a small defender or could possibly tried as a midfield tagger.

I think the calls for JOD's inclusion are a bit premature. He has had a lot of disruption recently. Think he needs a couple of weeks at Footscray to run into some form first.
    I like the ins, but can Garcia play forward? Seems like his best form at Footscray comes through the middle, he gets shoehorned onto a forward flank at AFL level and struggles. I like Riley, but think if he makes it, he makes it as a mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree Countrydog, if he trains well this week he should play. Keath is a good option as well but JOD should be ahead of him
    Why?

In what way is he more suitable than Keath at the moment?

He has had limited competitive football (against other teams), significant injuries and the two concussions bothers me.

I read that Keath is fully fit and has consistently been playing well.

This is a must win game to put our season back on track. Anyone coming into the team must have justified their inclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

who ever in for whoever. But Macca has got to get a run... Been elite for a decade. had a bad year playing out of position. Give the man a crack as inside mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why?

He has had limited competitive football (against other teams), significant injuries and the two concussions bothers me.

This is a must win game to put our season back on track. Anyone coming into the team must have justified their inclusion.
    He's quicker, more agile and versatile and before a couple of injuries he was also in far better form. If he trains well this week he should be good enough. I quite like Keath but I feel that JOD was performing better. I won't be upset or surprised if Keath gets the nod.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Why?

One word ... mobility. In the (limited) time I have seen of Keath this year, he has struggled to stay with the forward. Neither Cripps, Waterman or Darling are stay-at-home forwards. All three get on their bike early. Keith doesn't have the mobility to do this.
    WOOF Member 422

7. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Why?

I'm sure they haven't forgotten. And I've never seen an approach under Bevo that is essentially discouraging IE: "You'd better not lose this week, like you did last year". He more of an optimistic guy. "We have the chance to go 2-1 and get our season rolling. Play with the fight, skill and commitment you did last weekend and we will beat these guys".
    You may be right, that loss wasn't that important - it was just against a team that was barely competitive all year ridden with injuries, at their lowest ebb, it was on our home ground and it cost us a place in the finals, wasn't a bad loss at all was it, not worth remembering, history is unimportant, nothing to see here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    You may be right, that loss wasn't that important - it was just against a team that was barely competitive all year ridden with injuries, at their lowest ebb, it was on our home ground and it cost us a place in the finals, wasn't a bad loss at all was it, not worth remembering, history is unimportant, nothing to see here.
    But was it a surprise? We had been getting progressively worse for some time. Strange selection calls (blunders?).

And it is still raw for some of us.

And this season? Are those failings beneath the surface?

I would rate Baker?s performance as top 5 yesterday. But he was the sub and might not have taken the field.
    The week before CD was the sub and when he came on his talent was immediately obvious. He did more in30 minutes than others did in 80.

I like Gallagher but he has had 20 possessions in two weeks- less allowing for clangers.
    Poulter had a shocker yesterday (cost 2 goals) and provided nothing for us. Yet Macrae can?t get a game.

Are we selecting our best team? I don?t think so.

Yesterday was a good win. Some players were very good. But we should be winning repeatedly. We were promised top four success 12 months ago. Are the selectors (ignoring talent and experience) and game plan (long bombs) guaranteeing it?

10. Likes DOG GOD, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the idea of bringing O'Donnell in straight away. Don't think he's earned that level of trust. Pre season form is just that, and the last two weeks count for much more in my view.

Out: Vandermeer, Richards, Coffield, Poulter, Gallagher
    In: Garcia, Cleary, Harmes, Baker, Macrae

Vandermeer put in a much better performance against the Suns, but still a level below the standard, and he's got his kneecap worries. I'd be throwing Garcia into the role after bashing the door down in the VFL.

Almost certainly we'll bring in Duryea to cover Richards, which wouldn't be the worst thing. Personally I'd just really like to see Cleary get a decent run at it at AFL level. It would fit with Bevo's evolution mantra, and he'd be adding creativity beyond what Duryea can bring.

I reckon Williams looked right at home when thrust into the backline and he's very much a like for like with Coffield, so I'd make that switch and allow Harmes to come back in and assume Williams' wing.

Poulter I'd demote to the sub role, with Baker getting a start after the best game of his career.

Macrae comes in for Gallagher. I like Gags and think he's got a future. Good for him to get a taste of the highest level. But Macrae will double or triple Gags' output, especially at stoppage clearances - which is one facet of the game where the Eagles bettered the Giants on the weekend.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I don't like the idea of bringing O'Donnell in straight away. Don't think he's earned that level of trust. Pre season form is just that, and the last two weeks count for much more in my view.

Out: Vandermeer, Richards, Coffield, Poulter, Gallagher
    In: Garcia, Cleary, Harmes, Baker, Macrae

Vandermeer put in a much better performance against the Suns, but still a level below the standard, and he's got his kneecap worries. I'd be throwing Garcia into the role after bashing the door down in the VFL.

Almost certainly we'll bring in Duryea to cover Richards, which wouldn't be the worst thing. Personally I'd just really like to see Cleary get a decent run at it at AFL level. It would fit with Bevo's evolution mantra, and he'd be adding creativity beyond what Duryea can bring.

I reckon Williams looked right at home when thrust into the backline and he's very much a like for like with Coffield, so I'd make that switch and allow Harmes to come back in and assume Williams' wing.

Poulter I'd demote to the sub role, with Baker getting a start after the best game of his career.

Macrae comes in for Gallagher. I like Gags and think he's got a future. Good for him to get a taste of the highest level. But Macrae will double or triple Gags' output, especially at stoppage clearances - which is one facet of the game where the Eagles bettered the Giants on the weekend.
    VDM was very good. Not a high possession role. His pressure and intent is very good. I wouldn?t replace him with Garcia.
    Garcia and Macrae in for gags and poulter. Keath & Doc for Richards & Coffield.
    Baker probably deserves to be in to the 22 and maybe Garcia Sub.
    JOD & Harmes back through VFL.
    Let?s pick the team based on form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PR0408 View Post
    VDM was very good. Not a high possession role. His pressure and intent is very good. I wouldn?t replace him with Garcia.
    Garcia and Macrae in for gags and poulter. Keath & Doc for Richards & Coffield.
    Baker probably deserves to be in to the 22 and maybe Garcia Sub.
    JOD & Harmes back through VFL.
    Let?s pick the team based on form.
    You would drop Gags? I thought he played well on Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It?s a tough call I agree. He hasn?t done anything wrong, however just looks a step behind and a little unsure at times. He could go back and play some good vfl footy and build his confidence and belief.
    Also not a bad idea if he plays against eagles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gallagher got 10 possessions in each game, did some nice things in each. (In the vfl finals last year he got similar figures). Some of them were clangers. Was his good output enough? Was West treated so leniently?

He is still developing so the question is: where should he do it?

Wherever he plays Macrae will get twice as much of the footy and his experience means the team will benefit significantly more.

Developing players need exposure to the afl standard. He has had that. I suggest that we collapsed last season because we followed similar ideas to what are being raised now.

Post Thanks / Like

Outs: Coffield, Richards, Vandermeer
    In: Duryea (surely plays if both Ed and Coff are out). Eagles don't have talls, no need to go big.
    Macrae
    Harmes

Baker in 22. Poulter sub.

Backs being; Doc, Jones, Buku, JJ, Dale, Bramble - Bailey Williams or Caleb Daniel as the 7th.

Post Thanks / Like

No way anyone could take Bevo seriously if he bought JOD straight back in after no pre-season games/fitness when all we've been hearing out of the club is ''only the fittest get picked'' - I'd suspect JOD will need to see at least 2 VFL games before being considered.

For me its pretty simple, considering WCE forward line, I'd move B. Williams back, Baker to Williams wing, and bring in Duryea to cover Richards.

Getting Macca' in is a bit harder, but if I had to pick it would be VDM out, I don't envy our selection committee this week.

Sub is up for picking, but I'd seriously consider Garcia.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see Macrae getting a game this week unless VDM is out injured and even then I’m not so sure.

Bevo backed the boys in when they shit the bed, surely he has to back them in when they execute the plan?
    More of an In Bruges guy?