Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you have a non-negotiable for this week (R#2)??

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. I want to see the ball moved faster from defence to forwards as we have been practicing in the preseason. JJ didn't bounce the ball once last week, Dale and Ed were statues as well, although ED did try and move the ball quickly on occasions.

2. I want to see the forwards moving more with leads, and the ball coming into the forward line hitting a chest, not a pack.
    I don't mind what you're saying but I would love to know how you would measure this stuff.

We need a tangible metric here that the group can be given feedback on throughout the day...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I have such low expectations haha. I only set targets because I don’t want MJP to use coach voice on me.

could you set some sort of second effort target? That might be a way to recapture some of the ‘wall of Biggs’ mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We averaged 65.4 tackles a game last season (3rd in league) so we should be getting over 60 most weeks. Not sure about efficiency.
    Carlton had 69 and won.
    Sydney had 72 and won.
    Essendon had 61 and won.
    GWS had 45 and won.
    Geelong had 53 and won.
    Adelaide had 72 and LOST.
    Port had 44 and won.
    Freo had 67 and won.

Last year we came 9th averaging 65 per game and as supporters were unhappy with results all year.

Is it really tackles we are after?

I don't mind it - I just want to understand what changes if we lay 60?

4. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah tackles don't paint the full picture. It depends on a number of other stats like possession and oppo tackles as well as weather and the score. High scoring, free flowing games will have low tackle counts. If we smash a team by 10 goals we could have low tackle counts.

I'm not sure there is a metric we can measure this stuff on. I need to have a look at how pressure acts are actually measured.

6. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I have such low expectations haha. I only set targets because I don’t want MJP to use coach voice on me.

could you set some sort of second effort target? That might be a way to recapture some of the ‘wall of Biggs’ mentality.
    Cleveland (NBA) have been doing this thing where if they get 3x defensive stops in a row they call it a 'suffocate' and when they started doing this they went on a tear. I guess what I'm trying to get to is we need to think up a bit of a metric around what we think will help...and it needs to be SIMPLE (aka measurable) and it needs to be ONE THING you can hang your hat on.

Make it tackles by all means but I want to know how that changes anything...

8. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Pressure rating" of "above average" across all four quarters.

Against Melbourne the rating was the lowest by a Bulldogs team for a number of years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Cleveland (NBA) have been doing this thing where if they get 3x defensive stops in a row they call it a 'suffocate' and when they started doing this they went on a tear. I guess what I'm trying to get to is we need to think up a bit of a metric around what we think will help...and it needs to be SIMPLE (aka measurable) and it needs to be ONE THING you can hang your hat on.

Make it tackles by all means but I want to know how that changes anything...
    Some kind of measure of the amount of defensive force you are applying to a team?

Post Thanks / Like

-Time oppo have to get rid of ball
    -Number of oppo link-up plays - ie how many oppo players touched the ball before we did and how many of these were there.
    -Ground ball gets

Just spitballing.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton had 69 and won.
    Sydney had 72 and won.
    Essendon had 61 and won.
    GWS had 45 and won.
    Geelong had 53 and won.
    Adelaide had 72 and LOST.
    Port had 44 and won.
    Freo had 67 and won.

Last year we came 9th averaging 65 per game and as supporters were unhappy with results all year.

Is it really tackles we are after?

I don't mind it - I just want to understand what changes if we lay 60?
    I think for me as a bit of a numpty observer the tackles are a visible sign of what the team specifically lacks right now - a desire to “take the game on”. Acknowledging your point that tackles don’t mean games are won, there are a few things that make it feel like a sort of ersatz moneyball stat in the particular case of the 2024 bulldogs:

- it fits with the bit bevo was doing in the preseason about the fourth phase/playing when we don’t have the ball
    - it’s 100% in our players’ control to chase and lay tackles. Setting an alternative target like disposal efficiency for eg is too situational

I think having it average per player per quarter means we don’t just bank all the tackles in q1 so it becomes a metric for the four quarter effort.

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff :

Pressure Act (Implied): Reducing an opponent’s decision making time without physical contact ‘via corralling, closing space or chasing from behind’.

Pressure Act (Corralling): The lowest form of pressure a player can apply, where they are simply occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward, or have a run at them, but not quickly enough to record ‘closing’ pressure.

Pressure Act (Closing): A higher degree of pressure than corralling, where the pressure player is on the verge of making contact with the ball carrier (either from in front or the side) as he disposals of the ball. The key point of difference between this and corralling is that there will be imminent contact and the pressure player is forcing the ball carrier to dispose of it immediately.

Pressure Act (Chasing): Where a player applies pressure from behind an opponent by chasing. They must be gaining ground or applying pressure significant enough to hurry the ball carrier to dispose of the ball. If the chasing player is on the verge of making physical contact from behind, then closing pressure will be imminent.

Pressure Act (Physical): Applying direct physical contact to a player in the act of disposing of the ball or effecting a tackle that prevents an effective disposal from the ball carrier.

Pressure Chances: The number of opportunities a team had to apply pressure i.e. opposition disposals, including tackles that prevent an opposition disposal.

Pressure Factor: Pressure points per pressure chance. Measure only at the team level.

Pressure Points: Weighed sum of pressure acts. Physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing acts are 1.5 points and corralling are 1.2. Pressure Points Per Minute: Pressure points per minute of time on ground.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players to find a happy medium between "chip the ball around aimlessly" and "bomb it".

Post Thanks / Like

High Number of Tackle attempts please, whether he releases or not. I can never work out how they count them? And Please no kicks going inside Forward fifty kicked higher than 3 metres off the ground. High balls wanna make me SPEW UP..

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind what you're saying but I would love to know how you would measure this stuff.

We need a tangible metric here that the group can be given feedback on throughout the day...
    Metres gained we were one of the lowest with 5719 (16th) - need to be up around 6500 plus
    Rebound 50s, 14th with 35 - should be 45 plus
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We had 13 marks inside 50 last week, that would have put us around top 5-6 in the league last season (we averaged 12, 9th in the league). I'm not sure it was one of our more pressing issues.
    We were 7th. I want more and converted to goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Metres gained we were one of the lowest with 5719 (16th) - need to be up around 6500 plus
    Rebound 50s, 14th with 35 - should be 45 plus
    Isn't a low Rebound 50 count good? Or can't it be good?

If the oppo have low i50 numbers, then your rebound 50 numbers are - by extension - gonna be low.