Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
    Post Thanks / Like

My God, a LIST is NOT A TEAM.

Clearly we are in the media a lot lately with lots (and lots, and lots) of discussion about how we have either:

- An amazing list of players that is under-performing.
    - An amazing list of players that the CEO said pre-season should make the top 4.
    ... (then yesterday...)
    - An over-rated list of players with a high ceiling but a very low floor.

I guess I'm pretty frustrated - as I always am - when there is negative stuff about the Bulldogs in the media...it makes me not want to watch/listen. Honestly, I'm happiest when able to be an ostrich when it comes to supporting a footy team. BUT. Does no-one understand that a list isn't a team??

A great team is better than the sum of it's parts - and since I was a kid my Dad used to quote at me that a champion team will beat a team of champions every day. You can't line players up side by side and say one group should beat another - well - you SHOULDN'T be able to. I know the modern expectation is that because your team-sheet has some names that some journo with next to no idea (and yep, we all agree on that but then we listen to the other stuff they spout) said are 'A'-graders or 'B'-graders or list cloggers or whatever should either win or lose.

Footy isn't played that way.

Is the 'melding' of a group of players into a team down to the coach? Well...sorta. It's also down to the player leadership, the wives and girlfriends and families of the players, their ability to pay their mortgages, the health or otherwise of their parents and extended families...it's down to a lot of stuff. And this isn't about a no-dickheads policy or some kind of other simple-minded 'statement' used to define how new players are selected to come into the club. It's (sorta) I guess about the Esprit de Corps of the group to use a really naf phrase and you CANNOT FAKE IT.

A list is not a team. It isn't. And yep, some of this stuff is down to coaching and some of it isn't. And yep, Bevo DOES need to be held accountable but - as per today's article featuring Adam Treloar - so do the players. And the S+C team. And everyone else at the club. And us as supporters.

We're either in it or we're not. But writing the name Bontempelli on the team sheet and squiggling a "C" next to his name guarantees us absolutely nothing. And nor to the other names on that page despite what Kane Cornes and others of his ilk might be saying. What matters is that they wear the same jumper and that what is most important to each of them is what they can do on that playing field that will help make their team-mates job easier to perform...it might be by providing instructive voice from behind, laying a block, coming over the top to spoil or even kicking straight when having a shot on goal so that everyone gets to rest for another 20-seconds...

The list doesn't play so we need to shut-up about it. I don't support the 'list' or those who create it - and I honestly don't care whether Jamarra signs for 2 years or 10 and how much he gets paid. I care about the team that runs out on the weekend and the commitment they show to the contest - but more importantly, to one another.

Let's focus on that for a start.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My God, a LIST is NOT A TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    - An amazing list of players that the CEO said pre-season should make the top 4.
    Slight correction, he said that last year. This year the aim was top 8

The list doesn't play so we need to shut-up about it. I don't support the 'list' or those who create it - and I honestly don't care whether Jamarra signs for 2 years or 10 and how much he gets paid. I care about the team that runs out on the weekend and the commitment they show to the contest - but more importantly, to one another.

Couldn't agree more
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar interview was great, as was Egan interview on SEN this morning. We've circled up as a club and are staying calm and fully supporting our own, which is what good teams do.

The future will take care of itself one way or the other - until then, to hell with the irrelevant outside noise.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes bornadog, Can Bar, lemmon, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Treloar interview was great, as was Egan interview on SEN this morning. We've circled up as a club and are staying calm and fully supporting our own, which is what good teams do.

The future will take care of itself one way or the other - until then, to hell with the irrelevant outside noise.
    Spot on, we aren't where we would like to be in terms of wins and losses but it's a good response this week by one of the better players and a very calm GM of Footy Ops. The presser tomorrow will be an interesting one.
    I also appreciate that KWW has reached out too the members. Good move by the Prez.

Giving in to some radical and impatient media isn't something we are likely to do.

We are in such a strong position off the field and we are getting a lot of things right so we just need to see through this lean period on the field.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Can Bar, HOSE B ROMERO, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick 43, a PSD pick, a DFA, and 4 former rookies = a Premiership defensive unit
    So yeah, a 'list' definitely isn't necessarily a contender.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Pick 43, a PSD pick, a DFA, and 4 former rookies = a Premiership defensive unit
    So yeah, a 'list' definitely isn't necessarily a contender.
    I'm probably over-reacting with my post but I'm so sick of the debate about our 'LIST'. The 'LIST' doesn't play.

It's cool to talk about 'next man up' and all that sort of stuff, but these are people with different skills, capabilities and - ultimately - goals....just saying the list has potential in the way Cornes and co keep spouting is driving me insane. Assess the group as it is - don't talk about this supposed potential.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The flip side and counter argument is North.

Shit list, shit team.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly we are in the media a lot lately with lots (and lots, and lots) of discussion about how we have either:

- An amazing list of players that is under-performing.
    ... (then yesterday...)
    - An over-rated list of players with a high ceiling but a very low floor.

I guess I'm pretty frustrated - as I always am - when there is negative stuff about the Bulldogs in the media...it makes me not want to watch/listen. Honestly, I'm happiest when able to be an ostrich when it comes to supporting a footy team. BUT. Does no-one understand that a list isn't a team??

A great team is better than the sum of it's parts - and since I was a kid my Dad used to quote at me that a champion team will beat a team of champions every day. You can't line players up side by side and say one group should beat another - well - you SHOULDN'T be able to. I know the modern expectation is that because your team-sheet has some names that some journo with next to no idea (and yep, we all agree on that but then we listen to the other stuff they spout) said are 'A'-graders or 'B'-graders or list cloggers or whatever should either win or lose.

Footy isn't played that way.

Is the 'melding' of a group of players into a team down to the coach? Well...sorta. It's also down to the player leadership, the wives and girlfriends and families of the players, their ability to pay their mortgages, the health or otherwise of their parents and extended families...it's down to a lot of stuff. And this isn't about a no-dickheads policy or some kind of other simple-minded 'statement' used to define how new players are selected to come into the club. It's (sorta) I guess about the Esprit de Corps of the group to use a really naf phrase and you CANNOT FAKE IT.

A list is not a team. It isn't. And yep, some of this stuff is down to coaching and some of it isn't. And yep, Bevo DOES need to be held accountable but - as per today's article featuring Adam Treloar - so do the players. And the S+C team. And everyone else at the club. And us as supporters.

We're either in it or we're not. But writing the name Bontempelli on the team sheet and squiggling a "C" next to his name guarantees us absolutely nothing. And nor to the other names on that page despite what Kane Cornes and others of his ilk might be saying. What matters is that they wear the same jumper and that what is most important to each of them is what they can do on that playing field that will help make their team-mates job easier to perform...it might be by providing instructive voice from behind, laying a block, coming over the top to spoil or even kicking straight when having a shot on goal so that everyone gets to rest for another 20-seconds...

Brilliant. Wish I could like this post many times in bold and caps!