Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dementia, CTE symptoms, early Parkinson?s, depression: Former Bulldog Nigel Kellett living a concussion nightma

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mid 50's Josie.
    A former boss of mines best friends wife is late 40's and she's been diagnosed as medium level of dementia.
    Yeah-typo - I knew Nigel was younger than me playing with Johnno etc. There?s a sweet woman at my 95 yo mum?s aged care who looks to be in her maybe late 40s maybe 50s. Said she was a primary schoolteacher, charming person. I thought she was visitor and my Mum explained she has early dementia. She met my Mum one day and forgot about meeting her the next. Bloody awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dementia, CTE symptoms, early Parkinson?s, depression: Former Bulldog Nigel Kellett living a concussion nightma

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Because helmets do bugger all to prevent your brain rattling around in your head. They might prevent a fractured skull but that's about it. American football and their almost motorbike helmets are a case in point.

In fact there is a school of thought that helmets could actually make things worse as players incorrectly assume they offer protection and are even more reckless in approaching contests.
    To back up Axe Man here?s a good, recent article:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-experts-warn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Because helmets do bugger all to prevent your brain rattling around in your head. They might prevent a fractured skull but that's about it. American football and their almost motorbike helmets are a case in point.

In fact there is a school of thought that helmets could actually make things worse as players incorrectly assume they offer protection and are even more reckless in approaching contests.
    True. When our youngest started tackle rugby we looked into it. The stop cauliflower ears and possibly head wounds etc, bu that is about it

Post Thanks / Like

wow that was a tough read, feel incredibly bad for Nigel

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL and the public needs to tread carefully here, but not as much as the media does. That was a terrible read and I hate what is happening to Nigel and those around him who are impacted.

I recently lost my father to Alzheimer's disease, or more specifically (or generally), the difficulties and complications that occur when stricken by it and other ailments take hold.

He was 78, and it was a pretty text book progression from diagnosis, to "sundowner" symptoms, madness, anger, the lot. It was horrible.

But it can always be worse. My best mate's ex-partner, mother of his three kids never played sport and was struck with early onset dementia four or five years ago (time flies when you're having fun, right) and she didn't experience any head trauma over the journey. Another friend's father suffered from it and died rapidly in his sixties (after the court cases for fraud and jail).

These sorts of articles aren't helpful in the current climate and I question the motivation, not of Nigel and his partner, but the author.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks GVGjr, Sedat, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The AFL and the public needs to tread carefully here, but not as much as the media does. That was a terrible read and I hate what is happening to Nigel and those around him who are impacted.

I recently lost my father to Alzheimer's disease, or more specifically (or generally), the difficulties and complications that occur when stricken by it and other ailments take hold.

He was 78, and it was a pretty text book progression from diagnosis, to "sundowner" symptoms, madness, anger, the lot. It was horrible.

But it can always be worse. My best mate's ex-partner, mother of his three kids never played sport and was struck with early onset dementia four or five years ago (time flies when you're having fun, right) and she didn't experience any head trauma over the journey. Another friend's father suffered from it and died rapidly in his sixties (after the court cases for fraud and jail).

These sorts of articles aren't helpful in the current climate and I question the motivation, not of Nigel and his partner, but the author.
    Good points. Hoping there?s a lot more research & statistical analysis so we can make more informed decisions & judgements of causes & effects etc.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your dad Jee.

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    So sorry to hear about your dad Jee.
    Thanks mate. Sad, but OK.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Jee and my deepest condolences.
    I do some volunteering at an aged care facility and I know its a challenging time for the next of kin and family of Dementia sufferers. You wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL says it has no obligation on payout to Nigel Kellett as former Bulldog battles concussion effects

The response from AFL legal representatives relating to the promise of a payout for 'significantly brain-damaged' former Bulldog Nigel Kellett has been labelled 'condescending' by his lawyer.

Compensation for brain-damaged Nigel Kellett is in jeopardy after the AFL this week said an agreement was never made for a million-dollar pay out to the former Western Bulldogs player.

Secret emails from AFL lawyers ? one dated November 2022 and the second dated April 2024 ? appear to be at odds over a proposed payment to Kellett.

Kellett?s lawyers are ?incredibly frustrated? as they seek compensation that they believe was promised to him. The AFL now says a promise was not made and that it did not have ?any obligation? to pay Kellett a lump payment.

Kellett, 54, has frontotemporal dementia, CTE symptoms, depression and early Parkinson?s disease, which neurological experts say he has likely acquired from repeated collisions during a 10-year career with the Bulldogs.

Kellett?s lawyer John Edgar said: ?I?m incandescent ?. I?m so frustrated. The AFL is not honouring the obligation communicated by Peter Gordon.?

Gordon?s email of November 2022, said Kellett would be eligible for compensation under a new hardship scheme that was expected to be available in early 2023.

8 November 2022 - Letter to Nigel Kellett from AFL
    8 November 2022
    Private and Confidential
    Dear Nigel and Sue
    Financial assistance scheme for former AFL players
    As you both know, Gordon Legal acts for the AFL. We have been authorised to inform you as follows: (IN PART)
    ● Nigel ? you undeniably have an extremely serious injury and you are also in financial need. The AFL is prepared to presume in your favour that playing AFL football made a contribution to your brain injury. The AFL does not require to receive any further medical evidence or proof.
    ● ? under the scheme as we propose it, you will be eligible for significant capital provision. While we cannot nominate a precise number for this capital sum ? you would likely be entitled to a total amount in excess of (redacted) but less than (redacted).
    ● We certainly hope the new arrangements will be bedded down in the first half of next year (2023), and in the interim, that the urgent provision of (redacted) per month ? is of some assistance
    Yours faithfully
    Peter Gordon, Senior Partner, Gordon Legal

?The provisional assessment we have made is that under the scheme as we propose it,

you will be eligible for significant capital provision. While we cannot nominate a precise

number for this capital sum for you now, under the model we are working towards, you

would likely be entitled to a total amount in excess of (redacted) but less than (redacted),?? the email said.

Gordon also said the AFL would start paying a monthly allowance to Kellett ? which it did.

But an email this week from lawyer Andrew Grech, who also represents the AFL, said an ?enforceable agreement? was never made, which required the AFL to ?make any payment to Nigel whether a lump sum or otherwise?.

29 April 2024 - AFL's 'moral backflip'
    29 April 2024
    Private and Confidential
    Dear Colleagues
    Your Client ? Nigel Kellett
    ● You have incorrectly asserted that the Gordon Legal letter of 8 November 2022 forms the basis of an enforceable agreement that the AFL will pay Nigel a lump sum of (redacted) or more. This is simply not correct.
    ● There is no agreement that the AFL will make any payment to Nigel, whether a lump sum or otherwise ? there is no legal basis for you, or Nigel, or Mr (Peter) Jess to claim that the AFL has any obligation to pay Nigel a lump sum or any other amount.
    ● We would like to move on in a constructive way with seeking to assist Nigel but it is pointless and a waste of everybody?s time and resources to ? press a hopeless claim.
    Please confirm with us that you and your client make no claim that there has ever been any agreement or offer to pay Nigel a (redacted) lump sum in addition to the benefits the AFL is already providing ? is volunteered and is not the subject of an agreement or legal obligation.
    Yours faithfully
    Andrew Grech, Partner, Gordon Legal

Grech said the monthly payments to Kellett were ?volunteered? by the AFL and were not ?subject of an agreement or legal obligation?.

?We would like to move on in a constructive way with seeking to assist Nigel but it is pointless and a waste of everybody?s time and resources to do so while you and your client continue to press a hopeless claim,?? Grech said in the email.

?Please confirm with us that you and your client make no claim that there has ever been any agreement or offer to pay Nigel a (redacted) lump sum in addition to the benefits the AFL is already providing.??

Edgar described Grech?s email as ?absolutely, self-evidently condescending?.

Kellett, who has made several attempts at suicide, and his partner Sue Rudolph were ?dumbfounded? by what they believe was a moral backflip by the AFL.

?The response is hurtful and again flies in the face of any integrity the AFL and their lawyers have,? Rudolph said.

?On one hand, they?ve told us a capital sum has been provided for him in the letter of November 2022, then they made us jump through all sorts of hoops ? and we have.

?Then, after we did that, they?ve said ?actually, there?s no claim available that Nige is entitled to and that we never actually said there was?. How does that test their integrity and morals???

Kellett and Rudolph, who do not work, cannot afford to take legal action against the AFL.

Edgar said Kellett and Rudolph had asked for half of the lump sum to pay off their mortgage and make urgent repairs to their home. He said an NDIS report had been sent to the AFL.

He also said he had explored the setting up of a trust, which Gordon said ?would be in their best interests? in his November 2022 email.

?It?s incredibly frustrating,?? Edgar said.

?Peter Gordon?s email ? let?s assume he had authority to say it, didn?t say subject to terms and conditions as long as your arm.

?It?s a continuing source of ongoing frustration that we can?t get confirmation as to a likely date that Nigel would be satisfied to receive a payment.

?If they just write to us and say ?there?s been a mistake here, we?re getting the funds/trustees organised, we?ll have it done by the 31st of whatever month? ?. I think I can sell it to Nigel, but I can?t sell him nothing.?

Kellett?s long-time manager Peter Jess said: ?This is not about where we draw legal lines, this is simply about looking after the health and welfare of a significantly brain-damaged player.

?It is beyond comprehension from any compassionate and humanitarian view that the promises wouldn?t be met.?

Kellett?s father, Doug, said he had contacted AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon, but was yet to get a return phone call.

14. Thanks bornadog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We just said we'd send you some money. We didn't expect we'd have to actually pay. We love money and kind of just assumed you'd forget.

Signed
    Your Mate
    Dills

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post