Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  75
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 4 vs Geelong (Gather Round)

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    Didn't Macrae have a hip issue during the preseason? That may still be restricting his movement a bit.
    He had a femur stress thing and a hamstring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think you can carry one in the CBA at all times - but for us, that's Libba.

He's probably morphing into Daniel Cross as we speak as Jack is still an elite ball winner and now he's back to fitness he covers the ground well. I'm actually more concerned about next year as Garcia is coming with a bullet and while smaller has pace and a dose of bastard, and is happy to sit at HHF and 'hit some bodies' as he puts it.
    Hopefully we start giving Garcia some game time. He has something we lack out of the middle and that is pace. Eagles are apparently into him big time to return home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, I really liked that passage of play. Especially his deft angled kick to Gags, which showed great composure to not revert to a "long bomb to Snake".

He's no 2 behind Libba in that coalface role, and as others have alluded we probably can't have 2 of these types. Similar to Laird and Crouch for Adelaide, who are very vanilla and pedestrian in the midfield this season.

I hope he can adapt and adjust and become an irreplaceable member of our 2024 team. Ditto Daniel, who has been great as a connector further up the ground the last 2 weeks.
    Yeah I'm hoping he can adapt and find a role. The trend has been that teams are sweating on turn overs to score so we really need him at his defensive best. He's a smart player and smart players find a way to contribute.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So you'd move Williams back to wing? Baker was great last week and still provided good run and ball use this week. Williams had his best game in 3 years in his preferred position. The obvious solution to me is to drop a defender or move someone up the field and the primary candidates are Dale and Buku.

I know you will give me some stats from this week but the stats don't change what I've seen the last few weeks (and most of last year) which is that Dale's ball use has been pretty poor. He can still hit the safe options but whenever he tries something a bit more difficult or risky nowdays it just doesn't come off. He doesn't intercept, he's not a great defender.

Buku had some bad moments with ball in hand this week. If we want a dedicated 3rd tall interceptor he'd be the guy though. Maybe Williams and Richards can kind of cover that role though.

Williams Jones Bramble
    JJ JOD Richards

That's probably our key back 6 on form right now (with the exception of JOD which is assumed and we need another key tall)
    Agree on Dale. Shockingly out of form - personally I?d drop Poulter and move Dale to sub.

Can?t say I noticed any poor ball use from Khamis though? He went at 90% DE, and only had two turnovers for the game. His ability to intercept, and more importantly get us into an attacking position is massive for our defence, considering we lacked this component over the last few years. No way would I be dropping Khamis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Agree on Dale. Shockingly out of form - personally I?d drop Poulter and move Dale to sub.

Can?t say I noticed any poor ball use from Khamis though? He went at 90% DE, and only had two turnovers for the game. His ability to intercept, and more importantly get us into an attacking position is massive for our defence, considering we lacked this component over the last few years. No way would I be dropping Khamis
    I remember a couple of bad ones early in the match. Someone I won't nark on said they'd 'seen enough of him' in the gameday thread. I'm not inclined to drop him either he's just an awkward one to fit sometimes so as long as the MC have a role for him.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Lobb was best on last year against Geelong, and has dominated the VFL in his two week absence, so he has to play. Darcy would naturally be on the chopping block, but I'd hope that Jamarra's name also gets raised after two poor performances in a row.

Down back is a massive headache. Gallagher and Baker have found their feet on the wings and Williams has found his at half back. Bramble and Johannisen have been consistent performers over the first few rounds. Duryea turned back the clock against the Weagles, with Bevo calling him 'quite outstanding' in the post match. Khamis has battled well down there and this was probably his best game. Yet Richards and one of O'Donnell or Keath have to come back in - what to do? Multiple players are going to be very unlucky.
    Bolded bit. HERESY

Post Thanks / Like

In: Richards, JOD
    Out: Weightman (inj), Poulter, Macrae

Macrae becomes the sub.

Probably taking in one extra defender in (maybe 2), but those in the team are performing well so it's a tough one... if playing the devil's advocate, you probably say Duryea out as he was last in.

Post Thanks / Like

Great position to be in, Ed if fit, which if Bevo is to be believed is right to go is a no brainer most likely Poulter misses out.
    Other than that does JOD come in to take on one of the bigger Pussy forwards with possibly Jones to take the deepest and strongest forward Hawkins, JOD to take the more athletic and pushing higher up the ground Cameron leaving Buku to take the third tall Henry.
    The mids need to win first touch regularly and not allow front of stoppage exits from Centre bounce as the greatest danger is their potent forward mix.
    At this stage I'm going with, Ins Richards and O'Donnell, Outs Poulter and Jacko as much as that hurts to say. Only other option is Doc but his direction of the defensive set up is grossly under rated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Great position to be in, Ed if fit, which if Bevo is to be believed is right to go is a no brainer most likely Poulter misses out.
    Other than that does JOD come in to take on one of the bigger Pussy forwards with possibly Jones to take the deepest and strongest forward Hawkins, JOD to take the more athletic and pushing higher up the ground Cameron leaving Buku to take the third tall Henry.
    The mids need to win first touch regularly and not allow front of stoppage exits from Centre bounce as the greatest danger is their potent forward mix.
    At this stage I'm going with, Ins Richards and O'Donnell, Outs Poulter and Jacko as much as that hurts to say. Only other option is Doc but his direction of the defensive set up is grossly under rated.
    who is your sub?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A very stiff Oskar Baker

13. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    A very stiff Oskar Baker
    That's going to mean 9 defenders in your starting 22 if you are bringing in JOD and Ed. Who are you moving out of defence and where given we generally only rotate 7 defenders through the back 6?

Post Thanks / Like

- JOD for Poulter due to get extra height down back
    - Ed for Doc. Doc was really good vs Eagles but we are covered for small defenders with Ed back. Doc looked at least a backup we can trust when called upon
    - I'd go Gags as sub
    - this is the first of three consecutive 6 day breaks. I'd have Darcy over Lobb atm but don't think we'd lose much if Sam could do with a break.

16. Likes lemmon, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this week is going to be very difficult for the MC, in a good way, and an existential crisis for a lot of WOOF posters.
    Form or reputation, pace or experience, match ups or system?
    I?m assuming Richards and Weightman are fit.
    So, Richards is in and Poulter is out. This possibly means Williams gets some wing time. Which I am fine with. The same applies to all the mid-size defenders except, perhaps, Duryea. Which means Baker and Gallagher may also find themselves at HB occasionally.
    Now for the hard bit. Do we need O?Donnell?s size for Cameron? My feeling is yes, but who comes out? And has O?Donnell really demonstrated he can get the job done? So, I?m going to leave him out. If height down back becomes absolutely necessary, then Darcy gets first crack at it. If Cameron is rampant then Naughton may have to be given a turn. I am 100% in the keep Naughton forward camp, but he is a break glass option. Same as Buku forward or even in the ruck as a Hail Mary last resort.
    I think the Sub will be Macrae or Doc. I?ll nominate Doc as it means Williams can stay back and he will probably be needed to cover Henry.

p.s. I think criticising selection post game should only be permitted if the poster has first put their opinion forth in this chat
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I think this week is going to be very difficult for the MC, in a good way, and an existential crisis for a lot of WOOF posters.
    Form or reputation, pace or experience, match ups or system?
    I?m assuming Richards and Weightman are fit.
    So, Richards is in and Poulter is out. This possibly means Williams gets some wing time. Which I am fine with. The same applies to all the mid-size defenders except, perhaps, Duryea. Which means Baker and Gallagher may also find themselves at HB occasionally.
    Now for the hard bit. Do we need O?Donnell?s size for Cameron? My feeling is yes, but who comes out? And has O?Donnell really demonstrated he can get the job done? So, I?m going to leave him out. If height down back becomes absolutely necessary, then Darcy gets first crack at it. If Cameron is rampant then Naughton may have to be given a turn. I am 100% in the keep Naughton forward camp, but he is a break glass option. Same as Buku forward or even in the ruck as a Hail Mary last resort.
    I think the Sub will be Macrae or Doc. I?ll nominate Doc as it means Williams can stay back and he will probably be needed to cover Henry.

p.s. I think criticising selection post game should only be permitted if the poster has first put their opinion forth in this chat
    The biggest question is can Buku run with Cameron. Thinking about selection this week, I have slightly changed my mind JOD needs match time, and that should be in the VFL, however, there is a bye this week.

I tend to now think, Poulter out, Richards in and Duryea sub.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Out Duyrea, Darcy, Poulter
    In Richards, Lobb
    sub: Garcia