Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  75
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 4 vs Geelong (Gather Round)

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Baker may end up sub this week, Poulter out.

In: Richards, JOD

Out: Baker to sub, Duryea

Harsh on Duryea, but Richards must come in.
    So you'd move Williams back to wing? Baker was great last week and still provided good run and ball use this week. Williams had his best game in 3 years in his preferred position. The obvious solution to me is to drop a defender or move someone up the field and the primary candidates are Dale and Buku.

I know you will give me some stats from this week but the stats don't change what I've seen the last few weeks (and most of last year) which is that Dale's ball use has been pretty poor. He can still hit the safe options but whenever he tries something a bit more difficult or risky nowdays it just doesn't come off. He doesn't intercept, he's not a great defender.

Buku had some bad moments with ball in hand this week. If we want a dedicated 3rd tall interceptor he'd be the guy though. Maybe Williams and Richards can kind of cover that role though.

Williams Jones Bramble
    JJ JOD Richards

That's probably our key back 6 on form right now (with the exception of JOD which is assumed and we need another key tall)

2. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Richards is any certainty to come in.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think Richards is any certainty to come in.
    Bevo said in his presser that Ed would be right to go, but maybe a throw away line?
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jacko was always going to take a while to get up to the level, he's had almost six weeks away from it.

If he gets dropped after that then it's completely ****ed.
    Bevo pretty much said in his presser that Macrae will get an extended run back, but his lack of pace/ acceleration in the centre square was really noticeable given how often he was left flat footed as his opponent broke free.

I'm at a point that unless Treloar or Libba are out of the team only one of Sanders or Macrae plays and would prefer someone with pace (Garcia) plays as the bit part mid role.

7. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, Bullies, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Bevo pretty much said in his presser that Macrae will get an extended run back, but his lack of pace/ acceleration in the centre square was really noticeable given how often he was left flat footed as his opponent broke free.

I'm at a point that unless Treloar or Libba are out of the team only one of Sanders or Macrae plays and would prefer someone with pace (Garcia) plays as the bit part mid role.
    His loss of all pace is probably the biggest thing that forces Macrae out of the center set up, our centre square set up is already a bit too one paced and he can't really run or sit on an opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    His loss of all pace is probably the biggest thing that forces Macrae out of the center set up, our centre square set up is already a bit too one paced and he can't really run or sit on an opponent.
    Watching him on the weekend, I'm actually worried about his medium to long term future as an AFL footballer. It's not his fault - the 2024 game has moved away from the elite aerobic mids who can run at the same pace all day (especially if you are not elite by foot, which Jack isn't), and favours those inside/outside mids with burst speed from stoppage. I hope I'm proven wrong - nothing would make me happier.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From memory West once succeed and once failed.

Either West or VDM would be ok options. I think it is foolish to push either Khamis or Richards forward.
    I would still go with West, unless Harmes comes into the team. VDM does have the right temperament for the role but his forte is covering the ground at pace. We might not want to give up the guy who gut-runs to cutoff the cheap 45 out of their defence.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Watching him on the weekend, I'm actually worried about his medium to long term future as an AFL footballer. It's not his fault - the 2024 game has moved away from the elite aerobic mids who can run at the same pace all day (especially if you are not elite by foot, which Jack isn't), and favours those inside/outside mids with burst speed from stoppage. I hope I'm proven wrong - nothing would make me happier.
    I think you can carry one in the CBA at all times - but for us, that's Libba.

He's probably morphing into Daniel Cross as we speak as Jack is still an elite ball winner and now he's back to fitness he covers the ground well. I'm actually more concerned about next year as Garcia is coming with a bullet and while smaller has pace and a dose of bastard, and is happy to sit at HHF and 'hit some bodies' as he puts it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes Testekill, azabob, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably best for his career to request a trade at the end of the year, he could be a great steadying influence in a younger midfield but it's hard to ignore that the game seems to be going past his style of football

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Macrae have a hip issue during the preseason? That may still be restricting his movement a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Bevo said in his presser that Ed would be right to go, but maybe a throw away line?
    He looked very shaky running off so looked like a bad one and we seem to be more and more cautious with concussion these days. I think for bad ones the consensus is you're not right after 12 days and I think performances post-concussion supports that.

If he's right he's right though I have no idea.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

There was one play where he gut ran forward and Kelly didn't go with him. Lead to the receive and hit up to Gallagher. He's not quick but he worked hard.

18. Likes Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It's probably best for his career to request a trade at the end of the year, he could be a great steadying influence in a younger midfield but it's hard to ignore that the game seems to be going past his style of football
    I support Jack, Bulldog for life.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

20. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed but there are atill opportunities to win it at the coal face. We're flicking it around again as well and he is a proven performer by hand. You dont need to be fast if you can win the ball and have good hands and he still has good hands. Inside mids with pace and good skills are hard to find. Most teams only have one and good teams have perhaps two. I think he still has something to offer but time will tell.

22. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    There was one play where he gut ran forward and Kelly didn't go with him. Lead to the receive and hit up to Gallagher. He's not quick but he worked hard.
    Yep, I really liked that passage of play. Especially his deft angled kick to VDM, which showed great composure to not revert to a "long bomb to Snake".

He's no 2 behind Libba in that coalface role, and as others have alluded we probably can't have 2 of these types. Similar to Laird and Crouch for Adelaide, who are very vanilla and pedestrian in the midfield this season.

I hope he can adapt and adjust and become an irreplaceable member of our 2024 team. Ditto Daniel, who has been great as a connector further up the ground the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Sedat; 03-04-2024 at 11:07 AM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"