Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  114
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 5 vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a shame that Arty hasn't come on like we would have hoped and his shoulder surgeries would have slowed down his preseason plus Clarke copping that knock to his knee after making so much progress with his running over the summer.
    Hopefully in the coming weeks they will put some pressure on the MC for their inclusion.
    I see Arty & VDM as competing for the same spot.
    West & Clarke for the same spot, although I suspect if Weightman misses Clarke gets that spot too.

I echo above sentiments about defenders. We were arguably one-defender too many against Geelong and we've taken out a mid-forward utility to add another one.
    To me, Williams or Dale has to push up higher and Williams has the better form-line at doing that
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Reading various articles and comments on X etc it reminds me that so many of our fans live in the moment.
    For years the MC has copped a number of sprays, and I've done it myself, but the moment we go into teams selections largely based on displayed form then many aren't equipped to cope with high profile names being dropped or not being automatic selections.
    All of a sudden the likes of Macrae, Lobb, Harmes and Daniel are seen as either victims or players that should be looking for other sides.

We've almost got a full list of players and the MC is picking players on form not just reputation and a couple of players have to now earn their way back on. It's actually a good problem to have and it will sort itself out over the next few weeks.
    I see it less as a sudden move towards selection integrity and more as a shift in team balance, structure and priorities.

We've relied so heavily on clearance dominance and playing the territory game for pretty much Bevo's entire tenure. Obviously it worked wonders early days but since it's fallen short too often. This is the first time we're seeing a team that moves the ball well and scores from turnover. Add to that our pressure is back where it needs to be.

No doubt some of the shifts in personnel and roles have played a part here - we're playing with one less half-forward who rotates into the midfield. Macrae and Smith shared these duties last year, and Daniel was in these rotations as well at various points, now Sanders is getting the nod, and the extra forward is Vandermeer, told to apply relentless pressure from behind. Last year we began playing dedicated wingers who were told to push hard both ways and threaten the scoreboard. Baker and Gallagher might be the answers, they are each going at a goal a game. Some of Gallagher's offensive running has been magnificent, and Baker the same on the defensive side.

The shift in priorities has been towards favouring pace and youth. Johannisen, Bramble, Duryea, Baker, Gallagher, Vandermeer are all prioritised for their pace. Sanders, Gallagher and Darcy because they've got a lot of footy ahead of them. Not to say that any of these guys haven't performed, they have, but we're willing to cope with less output, versus those competing with them for a spot, because they bring valuable attributes to the side now and into the future.

So the exclusion of Macrae and Daniel is easy to understand in this context, and I don't see it as being a result of a decline in either's abilities. Rather their abilities would still enable them to be top contributors if we hadn't changed our DNA, but we have, and it's reaping rewards. In that sense they are victims of change.

The coaching so far this year gets a big tick from me, but I still think they need to be a bit more explorative in how best to use these guys. In the best case scenario I think we see a 2015 type of year, with personnel in a constant state of flux as we find the right mix, but a great game plan bubbling away beneath the surface that sets us in good stead for a crack at the flag in 2025.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I think Macrae will be the sub again. I don?t see how the last two weeks have earned him a starting spot. It seems in the modern game the half forwards have evolved more into midfielders, specifically link players and pressure appliers across the whole field, rather than true forwards. Which probably suits our personal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I see it less as a sudden move towards selection integrity and more as a shift in team balance, structure and priorities.

We've relied so heavily on clearance dominance and playing the territory game for pretty much Bevo's entire tenure. Obviously it worked wonders early days but since it's fallen short too often. This is the first time we're seeing a team that moves the ball well and scores from turnover. Add to that our pressure is back where it needs to be.

No doubt some of the shifts in personnel and roles have played a part here - we're playing with one less half-forward who rotates into the midfield. Macrae and Smith shared these duties last year, and Daniel was in these rotations as well at various points, now Sanders is getting the nod, and the extra forward is Vandermeer, told to apply relentless pressure from behind. Last year we began playing dedicated wingers who were told to push hard both ways and threaten the scoreboard. Baker and Gallagher might be the answers, they are each going at a goal a game. Some of Gallagher's offensive running has been magnificent, and Baker the same on the defensive side.

The shift in priorities has been towards favouring pace and youth. Johannisen, Bramble, Duryea, Baker, Gallagher, Vandermeer are all prioritised for their pace. Sanders, Gallagher and Darcy because they've got a lot of footy ahead of them. Not to say that any of these guys haven't performed, they have, but we're willing to cope with less output, versus those competing with them for a spot, because they bring valuable attributes to the side now and into the future.

So the exclusion of Macrae and Daniel is easy to understand in this context, and I don't see it as being a result of a decline in either's abilities. Rather their abilities would still enable them to be top contributors if we hadn't changed our DNA, but we have, and it's reaping rewards. In that sense they are victims of change.

The coaching so far this year gets a big tick from me, but I still think they need to be a bit more explorative in how best to use these guys. In the best case scenario I think we see a 2015 type of year, with personnel in a constant state of flux as we find the right mix, but a great game plan bubbling away beneath the surface that sets us in good stead for a crack at the flag in 2025.
    Good post. Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I think Macrae will be the sub again. I don?t see how the last two weeks have earned him a starting spot. It seems in the modern game the half forwards have evolved more into midfielders, specifically link players and pressure appliers across the whole field, rather than true forwards. Which probably suits our personal.
    He's never going to earn that spot as a sub though. He needs to play a full match either at AFL or VFL level. Since he's been picked I'd guess AFL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    With Daniel out I think Macrae starts as part of the midfield rotation. About 75% of the selected side are defenders so surely one of them will be the sub.

7. Likes ReLoad, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    With Daniel out I think Macrae starts as part of the midfield rotation. About 75% of the selected side are defenders so surely one of them will be the sub.
    Yep I see it that way too.
    JJ or Bramble? Similar types, both quick which seems to be the way many coaches pick their sub
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post

This one goes through the big sticks. Thankyou for this analysis, you've articulated perfectly how something that we used to be good at which worked well no longer holds water. Finally adapting and scoring from turnover-which is where we getting smashed by other sides. It hasn't all clicked in to place yet. Unlearning habits is much harder than learning new ones. Once the reward for effort chemicals kick in there'll be a big enough shift in confidence and persisting with new styles then trust comes naturally.
    It does feel to me like a 2015 vibe but wiser. Playing the long game without announcing it. I think guys like Charlie Clarke & Bedendo with his pace if his form improves will get a crack at it. If you add Freijah, O'Driscoll and Croft emerging and likely being ready to play next year the team will be fizzing. If Artie can find form, plus Spicer with his speed mid year. Busslinger too, taking time showed some wheels and sass last VFL game.

10. Likes angelopetraglia, azabob, GVGjr, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep I see it that way too.
    JJ or Bramble? Similar types, both quick which seems to be the way many coaches pick their sub
    You're right. Was JJ good last week? I don't remember off the top of my head. Bramble has been consistent.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Bailey Dale is a wildcard sub, might even come on & play wing/half forward? He's been a bit off for a while so maybe he gets his mojo back as an impact player. Always a lottery with Bevo and it wouldn't be his weirdest ever choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it'll be Dale or Bramble to be sub however, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Sanders might get the vest as he was in the 22 last week, but on the bench for tonight's game but i hope he's not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    I think it'll be Dale or Bramble to be sub however, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Sanders might get the vest as he was in the 22 last week, but on the bench for tonight's game but i hope he's not.
    I think that is a big chance. Sanders that is. They have been carefully managing his minutes. He has been playing 50-60% of game time, so I can definitley see coming of multiple six day breaks that he is the sub.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I think that is a big chance. Sanders that is. They have been carefully managing his minutes. He has been playing 50-60% of game time, so I can definitley see coming of multiple six day breaks that he is the sub.
    I was going to suggest that but there are just too many defenders in the team for that IMO and Sanders is one of the few others attending the center (though it would align with Macrae back in the 22)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Dale should be sub
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.