Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  114
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 5 vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Very close game against a very good side, so little reason to make significant change. At minimum, I?d be swapping Macrae and Daniel around, and give it another week before considering whether Garcia replaces VDM, though I think we?d miss the defensive aspect of his game which often goes underrated.

The one player I?m worried about right now is Dale. He was elite a couple years ago, and now just seems an absolute passenger. I don?t know if he?s genuinely out of form, or being asked to perform a role he isn?t suited to, but his impact is minimal these days, and he rarely puts his pace to good use.
    Dale and Williams should swap positions. See how Dales goes on a wing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Virgin-Dog, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Very close game against a very good side, so little reason to make significant change. At minimum, I?d be swapping Macrae and Daniel around, and give it another week before considering whether Garcia replaces VDM, though I think we?d miss the defensive aspect of his game which often goes underrated.

The one player I?m worried about right now is Dale. He was elite a couple years ago, and now just seems an absolute passenger. I don?t know if he?s genuinely out of form, or being asked to perform a role he isn?t suited to, but his impact is minimal these days, and he rarely puts his pace to good use.
    I don?t think Geelong is that good. They know how to win but they missed finals last year and have not been tested by quality opponents this season. They are professional, put players where their talent can be used and have a great game plan.

Talking Geelong up hides significant problems we still have to fix.

last night the dogs had the majority of the better players. But they had to work twice as hard to get a goal. And nearly won.

They should have won by 5 goals based on talent. And I am afraid that will continue.

4. Likes G-Mo77, Bulldog Joe, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meenies View Post
    Nothing to lose playing Garcia and Clarke/Artie to replace Daniel and Macrae
    I have never understood the continual calls for Artie. He flashes in and out of play, IMHO but could never be relied upon for consistent contributions.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

6. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I have never understood the continual calls for Artie. He flashes in and out of play, IMHO but could never be relied upon for consistent contributions.
    Right at the moment Artie needs some good consistent footy in the vfl. His confidence isn?t there and I wouldn?t be bringing him in to the afl team.
    Once he has built up his confidence and then plays good footy in the vfl for 3/4 games then I?d bring him and not before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I'm so over VDM and his role as a pressure forward. His skill level when he eventually gets the ball is ordinary to say the least. If you want a pressure forward who can tackle get someone from Melbourne Storm.
    would you be surprised to know VDM disposal efficiency was 79%? I was, he had 2 turnovers for the game. For comparison sake Flea went at 56% turning it over 4 times.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd back in the same 23. I get wanting changes but I think the differences are pretty marginal either way. I thought the effort was there and the last few picked were better than we've had in losses for awhile. I'd try to improve our ability in close ones by trying to build confidence here. No VFL form to go by too. Only reason I'd make a change is if one of the last picked thing isn't as cherry ripe as a Garcia type just to add extra run/energy.

Macrae to start, Daniel to sub.

11. Likes Mofra, mjp, Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I'd back in the same 23. I get wanting changes but I think the differences are pretty marginal either way. I thought the effort was there and the last few picked were better than we've had in losses for awhile. I'd try to improve our ability in close ones by trying to build confidence here. No VFL form to go by too. Only reason I'd make a change is if one of the last picked thing isn't as cherry ripe as a Garcia type just to add extra run/energy.

I am with you Rocco. Maybe think about where Williams and Dale play but that is just moving the chess pieces. Agree on Macrae and Daniel.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am with you Rocco. Maybe think about where Williams and Dale play but that is just moving the chess pieces. Agree on Macrae and Daniel.
    If Doc's form continues, I'd like to see Dale elsewhere but I've wanted that for a while. Maybe I am wrong and we just can't get the same value. I'd like JOD in and we would need to move or drop someone from the backline. If we didn't do it last week, we shouldn't do it this week as Essendon will go a fair bit smaller than Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

I think that's really harsh.

Garcia & Lobb have had 2 consecutive outstanding games at VFL level, and it isn't their fault no game was played on the weekend.

Whilst Darcy has contributed up forward, he is getting man-handled in the ruck and I have grave fears of how he will perform against 2 mature rucks this week.

We need an injection of speed in the middle to counter act the same-same pace of Treloar, Libba & Macrae.. the midfield mix needs to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On Saturday night you were pretty adamant Lobb should play ahead of Darcy. One could argue Essendon's rucks are more physical and mature than Geelong's.

Are you sticking with Darcy?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think that's really harsh.

Garcia & Lobb have had 2 consecutive outstanding games at VFL level, and it isn't their fault no game was played on the weekend.

Whilst Darcy has contributed up forward, he is getting man-handled in the ruck and I have grave fears of how he will perform against 2 mature rucks this week.

We need an injection of speed in the middle to counter act the same-same pace of Treloar, Libba & Macrae.. the midfield mix needs to change.
    Yeah sorry mate, I was unclear.

I am very happy with the VFL form of guys near the 23, just that we literally didn't have a VFL game on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On Saturday night you were pretty adamant Lobb should play ahead of Darcy. One could argue Essendon's rucks are more physical and mature than Geelong's.

Here's my spine for Friday

F - Marra
    F - Darcy
    M - English
    D - Naughton
    D - Jones

Bench - Lobb.

Simples.

18. Likes Critter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Not trying to answer on behalf of BAD but I was concerned with Darcy playing against more mature rucks. His ability to use his go-go gadget arms has filled me with a lot more confidence there.

FWIW, I really hope Essendon go with the two rucks again.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd bring Garcia in, in place of Jacko. Maybe Garcia goes sub but maybe Daniel does.

Bevo's presser was refreshing and honest, doubling down on the "we can't keep doing the same thing" line. If we want to reward VFL form, and we want to inject a different look into our mids, Garcia should come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Here's my spine for Friday

F - Marra
    F - Darcy
    M - English
    D - Naughton
    D - Jones

Bench - Lobb.

Simples.
    If you line up with this spine, you are putting our best possible spine on the field. That would be a first... but a bloody good idea!