Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autopsy - Bulldogs Vs Suns Round 2 @ Mars Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The intercept marking was a real feature of the afternoon with Jones 9, Dale, 9, Williams 7, Buku 6 and on top of that Baker on a wing with 9 marks.

This is the sort of Bulldog team we need to see. I also loved JJ actually taking a run a few times - he was a statute against the Dees.

The big ugly for me was once more just banging the ball into the F50 and expecting Naughton, JUH and Darcy to take the big mark. Lucky for us Weightman pounced on the ground balls.

Need JUH and Naughton to create more leads, rather than standing next to their opponents.
    Fully agree and there is no evidence that it will change soon.

When the small forwards make space they are usually ignored. When Gallagher honoured Baker?s move leading to his second goal I was surprised. Let?s see more of it.

2. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Fully agree and there is no evidence that it will change soon.

When the small forwards make space they are usually ignored. When Gallagher honoured Baker?s move leading to his second goal I was surprised. Let?s see more of it.
    I think it's part of our game style. We seem to keen to get it in quick and long, have those big forwards create a contest, our small forwards tackle and harrass and we create repeat forward 50 stoppages. It looked a lot more like a 'Bulldogs game' than in round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What did we all think of Sam Collins? game? Would you call it a near complete defensive performance or more of a complete defensive performance?
    Whether he was on Naughton or JUH he towelled them up imo.

5. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind the odd bomb into our tall fwds, but what I?m sick of seeing is no bulldog players facing the impending spoil. They are all flying for the mark, or nowhere to be seen. When our talls dont take the mark, the opposition defenders run it out too easily. We should have our half fwds set up a wall facing the flying pack, so if the ball comes to ground from a punch, they are facing the ball (have the ball punched towards them), in turn, running towards goal. I just don?t see this enough.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    One thing that struck me was the time given to Matt Rowell to dispose of the ball when tackled. I know he's a bull whose shtick is to barge his was through packs and tackles, but my understanding of the game is that, when you're tackled, you must attempt to legally dispose of the ball. Not go harder and longer until you can find a way out.
    Thought the same in some of the highlights I?ve seen. Standard different rules for certain players. Smells like an AFL directive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The intercept marking was a real feature of the afternoon with Jones 9, Dale, 9, Williams 7, Buku 6 and on top of that Baker on a wing with 9 marks.

This is the sort of Bulldog team we need to see. I also loved JJ actually taking a run a few times - he was a statute against the Dees.

The big ugly for me was once more just banging the ball into the F50 and expecting Naughton, JUH and Darcy to take the big mark. Lucky for us Weightman pounced on the ground balls.

Need JUH and Naughton to create more leads, rather than standing next to their opponents.
    Yeah I agree with all that. Weightman made that forward line look good and so did our teams general domination and scoring from players that didn?t start play in the forward line. Seriously what are they coaching there two, Jamarra I will give some leniency as he seemed genuinely puffed (but started getting shots on goal when he played in the right positions) but Naughton thinks he can be Carey every week, tries to play from behind and take the great heroic mark too often. If he?s been put into a poor position due to a quick turnover play defensive and just spoil it, make sure the mark is not made. But otherwise play in front and use your body, short ball is always marked by the man in front and good kicks into the forward line are much more possible if the forwards are presenting, rather than having to require a 60 metre pass to get it into the forwards hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What did we all think of Sam Collins? game? Would you call it a near complete defensive performance or more of a complete defensive performance?
    I thought he was excellent but geez he gets away with a lot. I lost count of the amount of blocks he put on with no eyes for the ball. the free kick against Marra for in the back was the worst of the lot. It should have been a shepherding free for Marra.

10. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2Koly View Post
    I thought he was excellent but geez he gets away with a lot. I lost count of the amount of blocks he put on with no eyes for the ball. the free kick against Marra for in the back was the worst of the lot. It should have been a shepherding free for Marra.
    Marra and Naughton didn't help themselves as well when playing on Collins by trying to mark on their chests. Collins will kill it all the time playing like that.

12. Likes kickit2Koly liked this post