Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round Two

I blame global warming. It's Ballarat ffs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I blame global warming. It's Ballarat ffs!
    Mate, it was a beautiful day
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'd bet the overcast morning played it's role in catching people underprepared for the sunny afternoon
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was. No argument from me.

But it's the soapbox so I have to piss and moan about something !

So really, I'm angry at myself for forgetting my hat.

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd bet the overcast morning played it's role in catching people underprepared for the sunny afternoon
    I think you are right. I never take a bag, but took my backpack with a jumper, hat and water just in case. I should have worn a short sleeve shirt.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    My rant today is the axis of evil that fills the speakers of my TV set up. I'm referring to the hideous commentary of Gary Lyon, Jonathon Brown and Nathan Buckley. MY GOD I HATE IT.

They are on KAYO all the time. They have completely destroyed On The Couch with their blokey around the bbq with a few beers style. Their humour is not funny. I can't understand anything Brown says. Lyon has to comment on everything and often interrupts the caller. Buckley isn't too bad but tries to come across as a good bloke too much. Perhaps I should tell him this as he lives near me and I see him at the shops a lot!
    As tired as the Fox Footy coverage has become (and it is very stale), there is nothing that makes the game as unwatchable as what those ch 7 pricks have done to footy broadcasting.

Fox Footy urgently needs a reboot of talent and method and also a significant trimming of their list - they have way too many people doing special comments. The likes of Johnno, Ben Dixon, Nicky Dal and Cameron Mooney are just not very good performers and add little insights of note. Loinchop and Buckley aren't perfect but know their stuff, as does Jason Dunstall. Derm does as well but cannot shut up - less is more, Derm. Kingy and Montagna try and provide genuine tactical insights - I will never bag them for that. Brown is the token special comments meathead, and Howie is the token Triple M inspired caller - piss him off. Just load up Huddo with more games. The Pipe is annoying as buggery but he can be a good play-by-play caller when he wants to focuses just on that and not his shitty one-liners.

As rubbish as all the above can be, it is nothing on the ineptness, and the sheer lack of respect that ch 7 show their viewers on a daily basis. They are bastards, the lot of them.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dermott should only be allowed to call games between two teams he rates. His condescending uncle gimmick of praising shit players for executing basic skills is infuriating and the closest I get to change the channel heat with a commentator.

Also where was the race caller guy this week?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

King annoys me . They just throw stats at him every week and tell him make something of it that relates to the result of a game.
    You can spin doctor anything to make suit your agenda.
    They dissect like a mortician and sometimes the day goes your way and sometimes it doesn’t , bounce of the ball etc but he will somehow turn it into the game plan was wrong . Even a 1 point loss but if it ended up the other way he will say it was a great game plan .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    King annoys me . They just throw stats at him every week and tell him make something of it that relates to the result of a game.
    You can spin doctor anything to make suit your agenda.
    They dissect like a mortician and sometimes the day goes your way and sometimes it doesn’t , bounce of the ball etc but he will somehow turn it into the game plan was wrong . Even a 1 point loss but if it ended up the other way he will say it was a great game plan .
    Would you rather over-analysis, or would you prefer Hame waxing lyrical for 2 minutes in-game about how Tom Stewart's 2nd cousin twice removed used to own a Jim's Mowing Franchise and trimmed the hedges on one of Matty Scarlett's investment properties on the Bellarine Peninsula, which happened to be next door to a holiday home once owned by Billy Brownless which he once rented out to Austin McCrabb for a long weekend back in 1996?

12. Likes EasternWest, The Doctor, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Would you rather over-analysis, or would you prefer Hame waxing lyrical for 2 minutes in-game about how Tom Stewart's 2nd cousin twice removed used to own a Jim's Mowing Franchise and trimmed the hedges on one of Matty Scarlett's investment properties on the Bellarine Peninsula, which happened to be next door to a holiday home once owned by Billy Brownless which he once rented out to Austin McCrabb for a long weekend back in 1996?
    That’s Macavaneys apprentice right there.
    Couldn’t stand Bruce for that reason, just call the game Bruce !
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That’s Macavaneys apprentice right there.
    Couldn’t stand Bruce for that reason, just call the game Bruce !
    Maybe it was Loinchop who trimmed Billy's hedges? Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

Anyway fark ch 7

Post Thanks / Like

The way in which Channel 7 handles replays annoys me. Particularly after a goal. They minimise the live play to a small box in the bottom right corner of the screen, and keep the replay... or crowd shots... or umpires scratching their bum... on the main screen.
    And then, almost every time, they get their timing wrong about when to flip images when the game restarts. Accordingly, too often we miss the first couple of seconds of live play.
    Why don't they follow the Fox example?

16. Likes hujsh, Sedat, EasternWest, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have 50,000 members - Mars "Stadium" holds about 10,000. Every time we play there 40,000 members are denied the chance to watch the team live.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    We have 50,000 members - Mars "Stadium" holds about 10,000. Every time we play there 40,000 members are denied the chance to watch the team live.
    Not a fan of the Ballarat venture or do you think it dilutes the membership value?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    We're not getting 50000 to Marvel against most teams. As long as its the 3 games a year, against either Gold Coast, Freo, West Coast, Brisbane, GSW, Sydney, Adelaide or Port I'm okay with it.
    I think it's a good connection, and one, given the relative proximity to Melbourne has the additional benefit of fostering membership growth that has a reasonable chance of being enduring if handled well.