Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does everyone love JOD so much?

I saw his first game and that was enough for me to say get this guy on the list ASAP. One things for sure though he should not be playing in the seniors on Sunday we would be setting the kid to fail. If you?re not going to play Keath on Sunday then don?t have him on the list.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I get that it'd be "LOVELY" if it worked out.

What I'm confused about is why it seems so "obvious" that a player with maybe 10 (and 10x pretty average to mediocre) games under his belt is so consistently pushed forward as the option to play as a key back in what we all think SHOULD be a contending side.

I understand he has played a couple of good VFL games...I'm in Perth and haven't seen them. I understand he has taken a few intercept marks (which isn't defending btw). I understand that there isn't much else in the cupboard right now...

But like I said, being the "someone else" option (like when Homer DID become in charge of Sanitation in Springfield) doesn't mean he is a GOOD option.

To me, JOD should be competing for a spot with Buku vs being a kpd.
    Reckon he’s had at least two ‘good’ games - both against the WA teams at Marvel.

To be able to contribute like that this early in his career coming off no elite junior footy with his athletic traits? Yeah I’m pretty excited at what he could become
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Keath is on our list, and judged to be fit then he should be tested. Easy to say he's cooked, though I'd much rather find out at this point rather than later in the season if that's the case. We can build contingencies from here if it is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He looks like a player with composure and smarts for where he is in his career. Don?t think anyone thinks he?s the answer yet - but would prefer to see him get games over Keath and Gardiner.

But basically it?s because we don?t have anyone else

Post Thanks / Like

Clean ball handling, aware of the game around him, doesn't appear to be panicky...and he's a clean cut, neat, friendly bloke without ugly tattoos all over his arms and legs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to be a hater - just trying to understand what the big deal is about this player.

In terms of playing back, he's hardly done it...it feels a bit like the scenes in the Simpson's where Homer is elected the Sanitation Commissioner (or whatever it is) because he's "someone else"...We don't like Gardner and Keath and Buss isn't ready therefore the answer is "someone else"...

I don't dislike him and he might turn into a player one day...but he is seriously just a kid with potential. But he's always in the proposed ins, pre-season sides etc. I don't remember him tearing a VFL game apart the way Macrae did on the weekend and stamping "I AM AN AFL PLAYER" across his name in big red letters...I mean, he's played OK but...

Just trying to understand.
    I think on one level, it's just that the MC / Bevo picked him pretty quickly upon listing him, fast tracking him through the VFL, by-passing other more experienced options, ergo, if he's fit, he'll come into the 22.
    I actually like him as a more versatile option to replace Coffield, with the ability to give us a bit more marking strength and size while also largely replacing Coffield's ability to do whatever it is Coffield does. Long term I think he can be a player and yes, probably a 3rd tall, so I've got no real issue with giving him a run. But also wouldn't mind if Keath comes in to give us a taller profile especially with Ed out.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I think on one level, it's just that the MC / Bevo picked him pretty quickly upon listing him, fast tracking him through the VFL, by-passing other more experienced options, ergo, if he's fit, he'll come into the 22.
    I actually like him as a more versatile option to replace Coffield, with the ability to give us a bit more marking strength and size while also largely replacing Coffield's ability to do whatever it is Coffield does. Long term I think he can be a player and yes, probably a 3rd tall, so I've got no real issue with giving him a run. But also wouldn't mind if Keath comes in to give us a taller profile especially with Ed out.
    That's all fine...but isn't Cleary the 'obvious' replacement for Coffield?

I like JOD fine btw and am not trying to be the point of dissent. I'm just surprised at how on board everyone is. The venerable Sockeye used to have the 20-game rule and no doubt this is an example of it...probably the most extreme version of it I've seen though.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If Keath is on our list, and judged to be fit then he should be tested. Easy to say he's cooked, though I'd much rather find out at this point rather than later in the season if that's the case. We can build contingencies from here if it is.
    I think in the Keath v JOD debate, JOD wins points in that he provides more of a point of difference to Jones than Keath does.

Jones is our deepest defender and naturally takes the deepest key forward, it means the second key back has to be more mobile and willing to get up the ground with his man where necessary. I'm far more comfortable with JOD than Keath in that regard, because he has the pace to turn around and get back towards his own goal with his man. It's probably the biggest weakness in Keath's game, and it feels like if he plays, he needs to play as our deepest defender.

Geelong are a great example. Jones starts on Hawkins as the deepest forward, which leaves someone to follow Cameron around - I'd prefer JOD's athletic profile over Keath's.

I think if Gardiner were available, the conversation is more balanced because he does have more pace and agility to get up the ground with mobile forwards and follow them back to goal.

11. Likes Sedat, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think in the Keath v JOD debate, JOD wins points in that he provides more of a point of difference to Jones than Keath does. J..... I'm far more comfortable with JOD than Keath in that regard, because he has the pace to turn around and get back towards his own goal with his man. It's probably the biggest weakness in Keath's game, and it feels like if ...
    Yes, but Keath was the better cricketer.

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think JOD will absolutely be best 22 when fit. But do we really need him this week?

The eagles have Darling, Waterman and a resting ruck.

Gold Coast has King, Casboult, Walter and occasionally Lukosius. Coffield got injured 5 minutes in and was effectively covered by Williams, with Jones and Buku our taller (or at least higher jumping) interceptors.

I'd prefer to move Williams back, bring in one of our fit runners from VFL, and give JOD a week to find form at VFL level with a full expectation that he will be in for the following week when matchups require him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    You do realise JOD is 197cm, a full 6cm taller than Coffield and Buku, same height as Gardner and 1 cm shorter than Keath.

I think he will be KPD in the future, with Buku more your 3rd defender.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You do realise JOD is 197cm, a full 6cm taller than Coffield and Buku, same height as Gardner and 1 cm shorter than Keath.

I think he will be KPD in the future, with Buku more your 3rd defender.
    But what are his skinfolds like?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've been impressed with his approach to the way he trains and the way he listens to and acts on what the coaches tell him and the way he reacts with his team mates. He also engages the spectators in a very friendly and professional manner. On the weekend I talked to one of the player sponsors who's best friend sat with O'Donnell at the player sponsors night and he couldn't believe how well he engaged all of the sponsors on the table. This guy was very anti that JOD was given games early on but left the night thinking he will probably be in the clubs leadership group within 3 years.

In a pure footy sense and with some other factors these might be some of the reasons why he has a broad appeal with some of our supporters:
    - He's a good looking lad
    - As a taller defender he plays a role where we don't have a lot of depth and where we have a couple of older players
    - Getting games into him would make a lot of sense
    - He's tall, mobile and with decent kicking skills and over summer I believe he's demonstrated and ability to be a link player for us
    - Who doesn't love the story of the recruiting team running the ruler over him after JOD had a discussion with our former head of performance at a cricket session.

I think the reason why he resonates with a lot of supporters is fairly obvious.
    We will probably find out over the next 12 or 18 months if he is the next Lewis Young or Liam Jones.
    Agreed. I'd much rather get games and AFL pressure in to young promising players than have the older blokes who seem made of glass recently (despite being very good a few years ago & 'ideal height/build etc) and are one injury off retirement hobbling off then we're left with bringing on the young players without enough experience anyway. Apart from exceptions like Sanders there's nothing like real AFL game time intensity to prime a player for sustained AFL success. JOD is composed & poised on ground, especially in the back half. Duryea & Keath seem to be there more as mentor/coach roles atm. Why break glass when you can forge a new axe?

18. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think in the Keath v JOD debate, JOD wins points in that he provides more of a point of difference to Jones than Keath does.

Jones is our deepest defender and naturally takes the deepest key forward, it means the second key back has to be more mobile and willing to get up the ground with his man where necessary. I'm far more comfortable with JOD than Keath in that regard, because he has the pace to turn around and get back towards his own goal with his man. It's probably the biggest weakness in Keath's game, and it feels like if he plays, he needs to play as our deepest defender.

Geelong are a great example. Jones starts on Hawkins as the deepest forward, which leaves someone to follow Cameron around - I'd prefer JOD's athletic profile over Keath's.

I think if Gardiner were available, the conversation is more balanced because he does have more pace and agility to get up the ground with mobile forwards and follow them back to goal.
    Athleticism is one thing... but Keath has experience and nous.

I'm not sure I want either of them near Cameron but we'll need one of them, and I'm not sure why it HAS to be JOD if Keath is also fit. Neither are slam dunks for that role.

Post Thanks / Like

That's all fine...but isn't Cleary the 'obvious' replacement for Coffield?

I like JOD fine btw and am not trying to be the point of dissent. I'm just surprised at how on board everyone is. The venerable Sockeye used to have the 20-game rule and no doubt this is an example of it...probably the most extreme version of it I've seen though.
    I don’t disagree, but theres no indication that the MC would pick Cleary before JOD. They’ve tripped over themselves to get JOD in the team and seem to view Clizz as a last resort.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me