Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 6, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Andrew Embley

This week’s player focus is on 2006 Norm Smith Medalist and West Coast Eagles Premiership player Andrew Embley. Despite the exodus of Cousins and Judd, there are still many good players at the Eagles, however, this week I thought I would discuss Embley as he is very difficult to match up on. When playing the Eagles I’m sure opposition coaches have match ups for Wirrapanda, Fletcher, Kerr and co but when faced with Embley they are faced with somewhat of a dilemma. He is (IMO) for the Eagles what Ryan Griffen is striving to be for the Western Bulldogs, a tall, quick winger/midfielder who, while often plays outside the lines is very damaging with his use of space and ball carry. He is also a wonderful kick on the run and is strong in the air. He is almost a complete package really, although his consistency is a major disappointment to Eagles fans. While there is some debate whether he should have won the 2006 Norm Smith Medal, on that day he proved that when he is on song he can rip you apart, thus, this coming Saturday, he must be closely watched.

D.O.B: June 27 1981 (age 26)Recruited from: Swan Districts (WA)
    Height and Weight: 190cm/90kg
    Debubt: Round 1 March 28, 1999.
    Games: 143
    Goals: 151

Career Highlights

-Eagles Best Clubman Award 2005
    -Norm Smith Medal 2006
    -Premiership player 2006
    -Eagles Vice Captain 2004-present
    -International Rules Series 2004
    -Draft pick: No 57 1997 (Wikipedia)

In 2007 Embley averaged 20.5 disposals a match and during round 13 of that year he had 35 possessions and kicked 3 goals which serves to highlight just how damaging a player he can be. He is a versatile and dynamic tall wingman/midfielder who is one of the Eagles most valuable players. Early in his career, Embley struggled with discipline off the field and form on it, but a watershed season in 2003 saw him move from a fringe player to a key part of the Eagles lineup. In the seasons following, Embley has started the season well, only to succumb to injury later in the season and struggle to return to the side.

The 2005 season saw Embley out of the side hurt just as he was hitting his best form, and while he returned for the finals, and made a contribution, the Eagles would have hoped the dynamic utility can play out an entire season injury free.

Promisingly, Embley managed a personal best of 23 games for the season in 2006, culminating in winning the Norm Smith Medal for best on ground in the Grand Final victory; his form for most of the season was for the most part pretty good. Unfortunately in 2007 Embley's injury curse returned, only playing 13 of a possible 24 games and struggling to perform at his best when returning to the side. Embley has played 4 games this season (he missed the Sydney match with a virus) but last week he picked up 26 touches in the Eagles loss to Port Adelaide (Eagles flying high website).

While Embley’s space and time will be somewhat nullified by the smaller dimensions of the Phone Dome the real danger to whoever goes with him will be when he runs forward. I would personally like to see Shaggy go to him on a wing (he usually starts on a wing) but if that happens it will likely be a shoot out as neither player will play very tight. It would therefore be a matter of who can move forward and kick goals against the other. Still, I think Eade should back Shaggy in to use his common sense to run off Embley where possible and play defensive (as Shaggy should be able to do by now) when he needs to. Our midfielders will need to have a solid game for Shaggy to be able to play this way as Shaggy must have the confidence to run-off Embley when we have control of the prune. Hence, quick turnovers from skill errors are where Embley can hurt us. Shaggy will also be able to go with Embley in the air. For the life of me I cannot think of anyone else who can match his speed and strength in the air. Another option is to sacrifice Shaggy on Embley and just play Shaggy as a defensive wingman, but I don’t think Embley warrants that kind of respect at the moment. Embley is one of the barometers of the West Coast Eagles fortunes, he is what Mitch Hahn is to us, if he is on song and plays well, the Eagles play well. Considering Lynch is badly out of form, negating Embley’s influence on the game will go along way to ensuring that the Eagles struggle with their inside 50s and hence their ability to score goals
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 22-04-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 6, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Andrew Embley

An interesting choice and a great player focus there 1eyedog.

Could Wight be an option to go with him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This week’s player focus is on 1996 Norm Smith Medalist and West Coast Eagles Premiership player Andrew Embley.
    Must have been young

Definately a player who has had to step up without Cousins/Judd. A difficult matchup and while yes Hargrave sounds good i doubt he would have much influence over him. Maybe a Griff could pay him enough respect and hurt him as well? But that may mean he doesn't play in the square as much. Definitely Hill, if he could be trusted, would be a good match up but i doubt he would stick too closely to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Wight could def go with Embley but I personally think Wight will be wasted on Embley. With Glass on Minson, Staker potentially on Welsh and Lake on Lynch I reckon Seaby and Cox may well alternate forward and Wight should pick them up (I'm not sure who else could!). If Hunter starts forward Morry should get him. We'll see on Saturday though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Must have been young

Definately a player who has had to step up without Cousins/Judd. A difficult matchup and while yes Hargrave sounds good i doubt he would have much influence over him. Maybe a Griff could pay him enough respect and hurt him as well? But that may mean he doesn't play in the square as much. Definitely Hill, if he could be trusted, would be a good match up but i doubt he would stick too closely to him.
    Noted and changed, thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wight could def go with Embley but I personally think Wight will be wasted on Embley. With Glass on Minson, Staker potentially on Welsh and Lake on Lynch I reckon Seaby and Cox may well alternate forward and Wight should pick them up (I'm not sure who else could!). If Hunter starts forward Morry should get him. We'll see on Saturday though.
    Will be interesting to see how they play Hunter NB will they go down the old "stretch the Dogs' short defence" path?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Will be interesting to see how they play Hunter NB will they go down the old "stretch the Dogs' short defence" path?
    Agreed. Hunter is dangerous and he was in my top 3 players from the Eagles to review for this weekend (the other was Wirrapanda). He always plays well against us too. He is a concern forward and if he goes forward I hope Morris gets him. I reckon the Eagles can hurt us up forward with their height as they do not really need big men down back to hold our still undersized forward line. If Hunter plays down back he may even get the job on Welsh and obviously as stated Glass will go to Minson. I'm starting to get concerned about this game, although I do find some confidence in our back half holding St. Kilda's tall timber in Rd 3. Getting back to the player under review, as other WOOF members have suggested, I think Shaggy would really relish the chance to play the majority of the game up the ground a bit tracking Embley.

Post Thanks / Like

1eyedog, your spot on and a good player to pick as the focus.

Embley is very athletic and agree he is hard to match up on. It will depend where he plays but he has anormous ability. Thank god he is returning from injury and may not be fully match fit.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have Hargrave on Embley. Just think that he matches up well on him - mobile, pacey, height and can hurt the other way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I'd have Hargrave on Embley. Just think that he matches up well on him - mobile, pacey, height and can hurt the other way
    I think that is an excellent option. A real good test for Hargrave on a quality player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Round 6, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Andrew Embley

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think that is an excellent option. A real good test for Hargrave on a quality player.
    He often get's torn a new one on quality players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He often get's torn a new one on quality players
    More on quality KPP. Embley is more of a big athletic midfielder and he should match him well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agreed, like the idea. If not, perhaps Hill can run around with him for a bit, and have a day to really work on defensive efforts. Not sure we have too many others that can match him both for speed and in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Agreed, like the idea. If not, perhaps Hill can run around with him for a bit, and have a day to really work on defensive efforts. Not sure we have too many others that can match him both for speed and in the air.
    Did Hill ever play such a defensive role with the Bees?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Did Hill ever play such a defensive role with the Bees?
    Just caught this.

I highly doubt it, but I'm no authority on if he has or not. I think it would be a good challenge for him, he's quick and has good endurance so should be able to get to lots of contests. If he can lock the ball up, lay tackles and just generally create contests and work hard on his defensive side of his game that would be fantastic. We all know he can do the flashy stuff well, but I'm yet to see him do the hard defensive things. The work rate is there though, he has run pretty bloody hard over the first few weeks.