Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  54
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned from Rd3 vs West Coast 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    3. English is the best ruckman that will ever lose a hit out count to Bailey Williams that will ever play AFL. Weapon freak gun at footy, pay the man.
    This is so on point and I agree completely. He is the best ruckman who is actually a terrible ruckman.

His work in that handball chain was immense, the way he scooped the ball off the ground in motion was special. Unique talent around the ground.

Personally, I disagree we should pay him what he?ll ask though. Come finals - winning the hit outs and having a presence in those contests is just too important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    This is so on point and I agree completely. He is the best ruckman who is actually a terrible ruckman.

His work in that handball chain was immense, the way he scooped the ball off the ground in motion was special. Unique talent around the ground.
    We learned nothing from English yesterday. He is absolutely amazing, and without peer in the competition for a ruckman, with his gut-running and ability to get involved in damaging scoring chains. He runs so hard both ways to help out in D50 and also provide significant match-up headaches in F50. And yet he continues to struggle with his timing and ability to hold his ground against his direct opponent at ruck stoppages. He is a conundrum whose positive attributes clearly outweigh his negatives. When the stakes are highest later in the season, I hope the negatives becomes a lot less negative (and even positive) so it doesn't hurt us again at the worst possible time.

The most significant thing I learnt watching the game live yesterday was that we have a much better turnover game this year. In the past, whenever we lost clearances and broke even for I50 you could pencil in an L with certainty. I know the oppo were terrible but scoring is so much easier from turnover than from continual bash and crash stoppage/clearance dominance. Clearly we've done a lot of work on this over summer which wasn't evident in R1.

Also the even spread of contributions was great to see - I couldn't tell you who our worst player was (outside of the sub Poulter). We simply cannot be Bont/Libba or bust ever again.
    Last edited by Sedat; 01-04-2024 at 04:53 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes GVGjr, Uninformed, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was no smoke machine. The whole weather is smoky across Melbourne
    I was being tongue in cheek. Controlled burns will be happening for the next 3 months so we may experience it again.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. West Coast are worse than I thought which makes last year's loss to them even more puzzling.

2. Williams back in defence is a no brainer. He was spooked for a while after the GF loss but looks at home in the d50. The problem is when Richards comes back. Does Doc (who was solid) miss and Williams move back (or is it forward) to the wing?

3. Vandermeer didn't suck. On the contrary he was quite good. Vanders work rate has never really been questioned, his disposal and maybe decision making has been his downfall. Yesterday he was excellent in all facets. His new bar has been set.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was no smoke machine. The whole weather is smoky across Melbourne
    Yes, there was a smoke machine in the race as they came out. There was footage and it was pretty thick! The haze around the ground was from burn-offs though. No breeze to take it away, which I suppose is the reason they chose that day to burn off, to prevent fires from getting out of hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    Yes, there was a smoke machine in the race as they came out. There was footage and it was pretty thick! The haze around the ground was from burn-offs though. No breeze to take it away, which I suppose is the reason they chose that day to burn off, to prevent fires from getting out of hand.
    ok thanks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    2. Williams back in defence is a no brainer. He was spooked for a while after the GF loss but looks at home in the d50. The problem is when Richards comes back. Does Doc (who was solid) miss and Williams move back (or is it forward) to the wing?
    With Williams back, is it time to play Ed in a more central role - midfield or wing? He’s a heck of a player - he could become our (better bloke) version of Dangerfield.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    With Williams back, is it time to play Ed in a more central role - midfield or wing? He’s a heck of a player - he could become our (better bloke) version of Dangerfield.
    Ed is an elite HB... in every other position he's been tried he's been BOG average to poor.

Leave him where we know he is really good and an asset to our team.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Ed is an elite HB... in every other position he's been tried he's been BOG average to poor.

Yes we can't move Ed from HB.

Dale I'd consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Yep, running half backs with good foot skills and who make good decisions and who can also intercept are worth absolute gold in the 2024 version of the game. And we've got one of the best ones in Ed.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, running half backs with good foot skills and who make good decisions and who can also intercept are worth absolute gold in the 2024 version of the game. And we've got one of the best ones in Ed.
    It's not like he wasn't given an extended trial in other positions but it wasn't overly successful and he does seem to flourish as as a defender for us across half back. I'd be in no rush to move him but we could give him the occasional run in the middle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Whatever we learnt about ourselves this week, is irrelevant to what we will learn next week against Geelong. The two games, and the quality of the opposition, will be chalk and cheese.
    2. Ditto.
    3. Ditto.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Two cheap as chip options (Baker and Bramble) not only solved two problem areas (outside mid and small defender) but also have added much needed speed and running capability to our style of play. Speed moving forward has been sadly lacking for us for a while and you only need to look at other games to see that is the game style for the short term future. Great work from our list management team.
    2. Using stats in order to rate a players performance is foolish. Naughtons game was far better than what his numbers indicate with some team oriented knock on's and blocks helping others into clear space to execute.
    3. Hugely beneficial having the game put away reasonably early allowing some calculated resting of Bont forward and Libba benched while at the same time giving pups Gallagher and Sanders some valuable time in the middle. Also allowed Jacko to slot back in to where he does his best work and allowed Treloar to get his hands on plenty.

20. Likes GVGjr, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Williams looked right at home going back holding down Ed's spot, i really wanted Dale trained over the pre season on a wing as he has all the tools to play that position well, so i'd swap those two with Ed back this week, that allows Dale to run the ball into forward 50 more often pin pointing a team mate as his skills are still sublime but it's his decision making letting him down at times plus he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, let him run free plus has that Eagleton effect of slotting through goals from a distance on the run, it's a win/win as far as i'm concerned.

2. Our energy and mental edge are back as far as attitude and efforts go which wasn't there in round 1, compare this game to the last round in 2023 and chalk & cheese, on paper WC still had quality players on the ground, McGovern and Barrass two quality key defenders so Naughts and JUH were not going to have it easy, Yeo and Kelly two quality mids who cut us the shreds last year, plus Reid will have a break out game at some stage, Duggen, Cripps, Petruccelle, Darling all good players.

3. The Ranga express continue to impress, Bramble is becoming an inspired trade selection whilst Baker is doing everything to become a permanent fixture whilst Ed is already a star down back, especially Bramble and Baker using their express speed to take the game on will do wonders for our game style and give the opposition headaches to try and get back to defend, to also then have the quality talls to kick to, when things do click, watch out!

22. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    1. Two cheap as chip options (Baker and Bramble) not only solved two problem areas (outside mid and small defender) but also have added much needed speed and running capability to our style of play. Speed moving forward has been sadly lacking for us for a while and you only need to look at other games to see that is the game style for the short term future. Great work from our list management team.
    2. Using stats in order to rate a players performance is foolish. Naughtons game was far better than what his numbers indicate with some team oriented knock on's and blocks helping others into clear space to execute.
    3. Hugely beneficial having the game put away reasonably early allowing some calculated resting of Bont forward and Libba benched while at the same time giving pups Gallagher and Sanders some valuable time in the middle. Also allowed Jacko to slot back in to where he does his best work and allowed Treloar to get his hands on plenty.
    Like this post. I had Naughty as 2nd best after Treloar.

We definitely are looking quicker & like the way we are changing angles and playing on a bit more. Will be interesting to see how we go against top notch teams (round 1 against Dees hopefully an odd blip).