Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned from Rd 4 vs Geelong 2024

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    1 - We are far fitter than 12 months back.
    2 - Geelong are better than I thought
    3 - Liam Jones is critical to the teams success, I sort of knew that but tonight's effort confirmed it.
    What do we put this down to? New fitness coach?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    What do we put this down to? New fitness coach?
    New fitness coach is a positive
    Training at the Whitten Oval over the summer is far better for the list than 12 months back
    Fewer injuries is a factor as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes angelopetraglia, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/ Hack kicks out of the clearance will be the death of me.

2/ We still have too players who get lost in (defensive) transition and our defenders can?t deal with clean ball.

3/ We have several players on long term contracts who are/ look cooked. I guess contracts aren?t worth as much these days, but we are going to have to pay most of their wages if we move them on and lots of money being spent for little return.
    Last edited by Mantis; 07-04-2024 at 07:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

1. A flattering scoreline earnt through individual brilliance which masks being beaten by all the old problems with our team system. Tonight was the test for me on whether we?ve addressed the issues and we failed.

2. Our players outplayed them, their coaching system out coached us

3. The score review/Stengel goal would be labelled ?the difference? if it happened to the pies or tigers - doubt we?ll hear much at all about it this week

Post Thanks / Like

1. I already knew Libba was a beast, but that was something else. Just incredible.
    2. The AFL fantasy system undervalues Intercept marks. Neither Buku nor Jones topped 50 points yet they were absolutely immense.
    3. Bring that effort and endeavour next week and we flatten Essendon.

Bonus Geelong edition: Gryan Miers doesn't waste a kick and his gut running is Bailey Smith level.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Bonus Geelong edition: Gryan Miers doesn't waste a kick and his gut running is Bailey Smith level.

He really was outstanding. His ability to find a target and hit them on the chest. I noticed as the game went on his efficiency by foot deteriorated - but he just opens up the game so much

Post Thanks / Like

1. The gap in footy iq between us and the best teams hasn't closed. Dumb decisions cost us constantly.

2. The father son gods really are smiling on us. Has Bont produced an heir yet?

3. Geelong play a low energy dependable brand, same as Melbourne. They all buy in they all play their role and they invariably have success.
    If the Cats had the output from their stars we had I think they would have won comfortably.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. 8 point game which will come back to bite us later in the season. If you think the real difference was only a few points you're kidding yourselves. It was a Geelong game for most of the night. They were effortless moving the ball forward while we scrapped and fought. Our endeavour was good but our skills were actually pretty terrible.

2. Naughton has been running around like a headless chook since 2022.

3. We leaked at least 5 goals because we could not / did not secure the ball in a contest. Duryea and Williams are the only two players who consistently do this well most of our players just panic, Libba being the exception. Concerning that our best medium defender is 33 in a few weeks. Duryea has been outstanding.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    1. A flattering scoreline earnt through individual brilliance which masks being beaten by all the old problems with our team system. Tonight was the test for me on whether we?ve addressed the issues and we failed.

2. Our players outplayed them, their coaching system out coached us

3. The score review/Stengel goal would be labelled ?the difference? if it happened to the pies or tigers - doubt we?ll hear much at all about it this week
    Agree with your first 2 points but not the 3rd - Collingwood still haven't shut up about Wayne Harmes 45 years ago and Anthony Rocca in 2002, nor Richmond about Tom Lynch review against Brisbane a couple of years ago.

It was sobering to once again see us get absolute maximum output from our top end players but still always look off the pace last night against a methodical, professional, much more even outfit. I do think we are closing the gap against the very best though, and have made strides in changing our game plan both when we have the ball and when we don't - we lose that game by 5+ goals in 2022-2023. We are still prone to hack kicking it out of a stoppage - our clearance numbers are skewed because they are generally dirty clearances that the best teams structure up behind the ball to intercept, whereas the opposition get very clean and dangerous looks from their clearances against us (no better example that 2021 GF, but insert about a dozen games since then).

We are definitely growing our intercept marking game - there is a shift. But we are still behind the likes of Geelong and Melbourne who have a very well-established and robust defensive intercept game.

I suspect we are itching to get the likes of JOD and Freijah into the senior team as soon as they are bashing the door down. Ditto Arty and Clarke in the front half.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Re the goal review. It was wrong (couldn't tell for sure).
    Williams also shoved Blicavs in the back for our last goal so there's no point worrying about umpires. It evens out.

15. Likes hujsh, mighty_west liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. It is possible for Tom Stewart to not be best on ground.
    2. See 1
    3. See 2

17. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    He really was outstanding. His ability to find a target and hit them on the chest. I noticed as the game went on his efficiency by foot deteriorated - but he just opens up the game so much
    Agree. If Cats make a play for Bailey we should trump it and offer Miers a contract. Our forwards would love that kindd of delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Re the goal review. It was wrong (couldn't tell for sure).
    Williams also shoved Blicavs in the back for our last goal so there's no point worrying about umpires. It evens out.
    True but I'm happy to get away with the Williams push because Hawkins has made a career out of doing that in gets praise for being too big and strong. That stat will never even out
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I'd like to see Bailey Dale on the wing. Has he size and pace to play the role. Needs to be removed from the back line as he is becoming a liability. Just seems to have his lost run and his confidence in his disposal.
    I'm surprised we haven't tried this already. He has been treading water across half back for a while. He does seem to have all the attributes to be a good wingman skill wise but does he have the tank? It would be a similar role as how he plays off half back but with more connection with our forwards. I like it
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Darcy is ready to improve our side.
    Rhylee West is ready to improve our side.
    Harvey Gallagher is ready to improve our side.