Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned from Rd 4 vs Geelong 2024

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I cannot wait for the game where westy puts a show on for all 4 quarters. It?s coming - he is so smart.

Loved the note about his brother Levi looking like a good player for his age. The idea of 2 west boys mirroring the Daicos boys is an exciting prospect - albeit it entirely speculative at this stage
    Isn't the young Darcy boy also dominating in the Juniors? Did he not win the B & F and still have a year to go in his age group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I kinda maybe sorta think that Naughton is a better back than forward. Kinda. Well at least against a top 6 team. When we are being flat track bulies he should play forward but against decent opposition he needs to go back.
    You could not play both he and Buku down back. Neither can play on an opponent as they don't have the defensive skills.

Marra also gets the number 1 defender.

Post Thanks / Like

Which point are you arguing? Doesn?t read the Stengle mark
    My bad, I misread your post
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

This is lunacy! We have no one else on our list that can play as a tall forward.
    I agree that, played as a deep forward, Naughton's by far the best tall. He looks to be playing more between the arcs than as a deep forward. Perhaps if he turns 'round to face the goals and starts closer to the defensive arc it'd be much the same. The multiple goalscorers are Weightman, Bont, Darcy, even Baker, implementation of the 3 talls strategy has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Isn't the young Darcy boy also dominating in the Juniors? Did he not win the B & F and still have a year to go in his age group.
    Got to be careful not to get excited. 2 Darcy and 2 west boys all in good form would be very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to be careful not to get excited. 2 Darcy and 2 west boys all in good form would be very nice.
    Lachie Hunter played 100 with us, great footy genes with McVie lineage haha.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone wondering why Naughton shouldn't be a key defender only needs to look how he uses the ball by foot in open play while playing up the ground.

It isn't great and slows us down. And I don't know whether his ego is in check enough to hand it off rather than kicking it to the extent he should.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Anyone wondering why Naughton shouldn't be a key defender only needs to look how he uses the ball by foot in open play while playing up the ground.

It isn't great and slows us down. And I don't know whether his ego is in check enough to hand it off rather than kicking it to the extent he should.
    Jones isn?t great either. Khamis as well. We had Gardner playing there not long ago that?s worse than all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Jones isn?t great either. Khamis as well. We had Gardner playing there not long ago that?s worse than all of them.
    On Saturday night we left Jones hung out to dry a few times when the risk of a kick to the pocket should have been taken to give a better user a chance to find someone or change the angle*.

*Jones marking centrally and having to find a wide outlet left him too much ground to kick into, and too much margin for error. Getting that slow ball wide opens up the shorts/ laterals or means a narrow kick down the line is more likely to be rushed for a reset.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Darcy will be a very good player (haven't seen much of him before)

2. West is now a very good player

3. There is something consistently very wrong with our centre clearances.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    1. Darcy will be a very good player (haven't seen much of him before)

2. West is now a very good player

3. There is something consistently very wrong with our centre clearances.
    All of our main three players in the centre are see-ball get-ball players. No matter what. No sensitivity to how it might get behind them and out the front.

Second of the ridiculous 2021 game that didn't happen centre bounce shitshow extravaganza was Libba still chasing it forward when a clear front outlet for the opposition was happening. He does it all the time, they all do something similar every time and a lot of the time they win the ball. It's just that when the opposition wins the ball they have better options around them - or at least more committed ones.

It's just how we are, and while we all know we've got a pace problem with all of our potential/ active centre bounce players, none of them have a strong defensive side to their games. Haven't had for ages, and I'm not sure if it's by design or a product of our recruiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

It's just how we are, and while we all know we've got a pace problem with all of our potential/ active centre bounce players, none of them have a strong defensive side to their games. Haven't had for ages, and I'm not sure if it's by design or a product of our recruiting.
    If it is a recruitment issue it would be hard for those recruits to push out Bontempelli, Liberatore and Treloar - who is our point of difference pace wise and he fell into our lap and we felt obligated to take him.

Maybe they see Sanders and Gallagher as those players.

Makes you wonder why we chased James Harmes in the end.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To trigger Happy Days
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    To trigger Happy Days
    And don’t we love it so.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    If it is a recruitment issue it would be hard for those recruits to push out Bontempelli, Liberatore and Treloar - who is our point of difference pace wise and he fell into our lap and we felt obligated to take him.

Maybe they see Sanders and Gallagher as those players.

By recruiting I didn't necessarily mean recruitment as planned, more so as executed. We rolled a dice on taking Treloar and possibly thought Smith mightn't have had a shit year or two of interruptions after smashing a finals series in 2021 - and then doing a knee.

Honestly, Smith having his hiccups and then doing a knee has been a massive spanner in the works and all the Riley Sanders, Harmes or Gallaghers or anyone else being brought in wasn't going to fix up that disruption.

Smith should be taking the game by the scruff at this point based on his start with us and his early development thereafter.