Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round Four (Gather Round)

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fair enough.

I just had a closer look, frame 1 is what they used to say it was in control and hadn't crossed the line.

Frame 2, you can clearly see the ball has spun from the previous frame and that his hand isn't completely on it so there's enough doubt for me that you can't definitively over rule.

It might have been a mark. Considering the goal umpire called a point, and the evidence is suspect i think its a mistake.

I'd like to see clarification on exactly at what point a ball is controlled if it's something that's going to be reviewed with this below par video review technology. Is it as simple as if the ball is in the players hands and they end up controlling it that counts? Does the control need to be complete before the ball crosses the line? If the ball is spinning is it still 'controlled'. Feels like there's a lot of grey area here once you start deviating from the umpire and going frame by frame instead

2. Likes Grantysghost, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd like to see clarification on exactly at what point a ball is controlled if it's something that's going to be reviewed with this below par video review technology. Is it as simple as if the ball is in the players hands and they end up controlling it that counts? Does the control need to be complete before the ball crosses the line? If the ball is spinning is it still 'controlled'. Feels like there's a lot of grey area here once you start deviating from the umpire and going frame by frame instead
    Pretty simple, if it is not 100% definitive the umpire's call has to stand. No way was it 100% conclusively controlled before the whole of the ball crossed the line - ARC made an error and it needs to be formally acknowledged, but in true AFEL makey uppey fashion that will not be happening.

We were already punished by not being able to run it out quickly from the restart.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ball was still spinning WD over the line wasn't it?
    Both Stengle and Cameron were laughing their heads off after he kicked the goal, both knew he was very lucky.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If we're talking footy robbery this weekend, Fremantle have a stronger argument than we do.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Both Stengle and Cameron were laughing their heads off after he kicked the goal, both knew he was very lucky.
    Cameron kicked a goal last year when he was so far out he needed a ground pass to get back to his position.
    Ironic considering their home ground has no wing on one side of it
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If we're talking footy robbery this weekend, Fremantle have a stronger argument than we do.
    They sure do, but you never give a sucker an even break and Treacey fluffed 2 simple chest marks to retain possession on the wing with under 4 minutes left when they were a goal and a half in front. Should never have lost from there and Longmuir knows it.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

After it's 2nd year of games in SA what's everyone's thoughts if Gather Round is a success or not?
    I'd prefer a better 2nd venue was made available because that one at Norwood Oval is a genuine compromise but I'm warming to the concept as being a good one for football.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    After it's 2nd year of games in SA what's everyone's thoughts if Gather Round is a success or not?
    I'd prefer a better 2nd venue was made available because that one at Norwood Oval is a genuine compromise but I'm warming to the concept as being a good one for football.
    The home teams must play each other, otherwise they end up with an extra home game each
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes hujsh, Happy Days, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm yet to go, but I think it's a great as long as they keep it about the fans, not the corporates. It's in school holidays which is perfect for kids and families, plus South Australia is pretty accessible to most states, especially Victoria.

As for as equity goes for the competition, it would be fairest for Adelaide to play Port Adelaide, as this is an extra round which is not meant to disadvantage anyone. However as far as maximising crowds goes, you want home games for each of Adelaide and Port Adelaide. But given the AFL never really has equity at its heart, as long as we don't play one of those teams I selfishly don't mind who else does.

The concept of the "Expansion Cup" between GWS and Gold Coast being played each year in a cow paddock in the Adelaide Hills is one I quite like, so I hope they continue that each year.

For South Australia, it's a definite win and I'd be interested if economically it's more attractive to them than hosting an AFL Grand Final. I suspect it is.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The home teams must play each other, otherwise they end up with an extra home game each
    Mind blowing that this is allowed and never even seems to get raised. Having a showdown as the headline game is such an obvious slam dunk anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you play a non Southern Australian side that weekend, that should be the only time that season(apart from finals) you play them, once at a neutral venue is fair enough. The sides that play Adelaide and Port, them must play again at the their venue(ie be it Victoria, WA, NSW, QLD).

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t believe they didn’t play both Adelaide games on the Sunday. It makes sense to make them wait and still be hungry for previous games . We all know a lot of supporters aren’t interested in the rest of the games if their side loses.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong. I hate them to a visceral level.

I think I'll skip watching our games v Geelong in the future. My heart (and dog) will thank me for it.

But just to be clear, I ****ing hate everything about that over entitled, long haired, smug shitstain of a club.
    W00F!

19. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Geelong. I hate them to a visceral level.

I think I'll skip watching our games v Geelong in the future. My heart (and dog) will thank me for it.

But just to be clear, I ****ing hate everything about that over entitled, long haired, smug shitstain of a club.
    ****en Dempsey's ****en face.

It's not even his fault, but his face is Geelong.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was almost ready to move on from this, but seeing as it's the soapbox thread...

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    From my viewing I'm happy he had control of it. Again, I acknowledge that I'm an outlier on this one.
    Depends on your definition of controlled I suppose. The ball had literally only just made contact with his hands. How many marks would be paid if simply touching both hands is the criteria?

What happens after the line is irrelevant - it's out of play. So I think we have to look at it in the same way that we would look at a defender making a spoil at the moment the ball crosses the line. Imagine there is a defender's fist exactly a ball's width behind the line. Is there any chance at all that it gets paid a mark when it's spoiled a split second after making contact with Stengle's hands? Why is the goal line different?

In fact there were several non-marks within the game (Dale on the wing was one, Geelong had a couple) that were spoiled after being in the hands for somewhere between 10-20x longer than Stengle's attempt, and play on was called.

But of course the far easier argument to make is: if everyone's debating whether it was controlled in time or not, then that is not definitive, and therefore not able to be overturned.

The arrogance from the ARC (and the AFL) is what irritates me so much here. They've called for a review themselves for the first time ever, and then overturned the decision on footage that (to me) suggests a clear behind.

On the call Richo saw how bad the decision was but then Jason 'Vanilla' Bennet starts banging on about how all of the ball must be across all of the line. DUH no one is disputing that he made contact with the ball before it crossed the line!
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

23. Likes bornadog, hujsh, GVGjr, jeemak, Sedat, EasternWest liked this post