Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Legend dubs bulldogs youngster the next big thing

link

Leigh Matthews has labelled Western Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy as ?the next big thing?.

The 20-year-old produced arguably his best game at AFL level in Saturday?s narrow loss to Geelong, kicking three goals from 12 disposals to go with three marks and eight hit-outs.

Four-time premiership coach, player and all-round V/AFL legend Matthews loved what he saw from Darcy who he believes is well ahead in his development compared to other young key position players.

?Let?s talk about the next big thing which is Sam Darcy,? Matthew said on Channel 9?s Footy Furnace.

?Big is the operative word - 208cm.

?He kicked three goals, took three really strong overhead marks for a really young, really skinny player.

?He gets in after the ball at ground level, he still had 9 or 10 (12) disposals.

?Most blokes of his size are not much good until they?re probably 24 or 25.

?So I reckon he is the next big thing and that?s going to be very bad news, I suspect, for Rory Lobb. They?re not going to play both of them.?

Triple Geelong premiership player Jimmy Bartel was also full of praise for the son of All-Australian Bulldog Luke.

He highlighted the fact that Darcy, who was drafted with Pick 2 in 2021, is already so versatile in that he can play in multiple roles.

?He?s a proper three-position threat,? Bartel added.
    ?He can play forward, he can play in the ruck and he can we?ve seen him in different glimpses at centre half-back.

?His hands are so good and he?s a good finisher around goal.?

Darcy has now played 10 career games and is in the mix for a Rising Star nomination for Round 4.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes angelopetraglia, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Afl legend dubs bulldogs youngster the next big thing

He'll win the rising star.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Legend dubs bulldogs youngster the next big thing

Matthews is a tad late to the party but, yes, he very much could be the next big thing. However, I don't agree that he and Lobb can't be in the same team. In fact I think it might be beneficial for this to happen.

It's going to be 3 or 4 years before Darcy's body is big and tough enough to handle significant ruck time. A couple of years up forward would be beneficial in building experience and game craft while his body develops. For the next few years I think our forward structure should be based around Darcy at full forward and JUH at CHF.

Lobb and English should share the ruck load, with each resting in the forward pocket when not rucking. And Naughton should play at CHB, which would solve an on-going weakness in our backline that we refuse to address.

A spine of Darcy, JUH, Naughton and Jones is not too shabby.

6. Likes Uninformed, westbulldog liked this post