Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  83
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open Season on Aaron Naughton??

Every other team would love to have him. Naughts is ours. He?ll have some weeks better than others like all players. I think he?ll improve in his new roaming forward role and become more consistent. I love his ability to compete at ground level, his repeat efforts and the support he offers to his teammates during and in between play, as well as his marking prowess.

As GvGjr wisely said, the negative Nellie?s in the media can get stuffed.

2. Likes bulldogfan, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Critics will crit.

Naughton is a magnificent player.

Would love to see him in the centre circle sometimes when Bont. rests forward.

That tap the rucks sometimes manage to Bont, that is too high for the average mid to shark, and then we are away is a thing of beauty. Could easily see that working with Naughton who is also very good a the ground ball contest.

4. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm confused here. A week after playing a completely selfless game and sacrificing goals for the team this year by changing his role, and working hard on his tank to play high up the ground, he has to grow up a bit?

I really don't understand.
    It's slightly beside the point but I hadn't the slightest idea OTC critiqued Naughton this week until it was pointed out here but having now caught it their queries around his immature forward craft hold plenty of water, particularly given he's a - and arguably the - focal point of our attack. Brown's a monotone gronk but if there's one thing I'd defer to him on it's the art of key forward-ing.

Regardless, frustration with Naughts isn't based on the past week, or month, or fickle media whims, it's observable, pattern-forming traits in his game over the past two seasons that're showing few signs of maturing to the extent it feels like he's the same player he was 2 or 3 seasons ago operating with roughly the same bag of tricks.

He's a beast who can fly, rip balls out of the air and kick it a mile, occasionally even on target. That's great. It's also predictable and easy to defend by well organised opponents. He's allowed fewer and fewer contests on terms that suit him so unless his game evolves are we content paying a bloke something approaching seven figures to be the designated selfless guy to drag his opponent away from the action?

Yes it's more nuanced than that and we're plainly embracing change this season so it's tremendous #33 has bought in with a seemingly modified role to date. Hopefully it's an entree to some deeper reflection among Naughts and the coaches about how to grow his game, maximise his contributions and find collective success in the process.

The bar's unapologetically high and after the past two seasons it needs to be.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton up the ground means he doesn't fly over packs in the goal square and spoil his own team mates seems ok by me.

Naughton up the ground opens up our forward line as well. I hate seeing the forward line constantly congested and the ball goes up the other end to the opps open forward line. There other factors to allow the opposition to congest their d50 obviously but it feels this year with Naughton pushing up the field more that our f50 has been more open than in the past. It's about finding the perfect balance atm.

Chris Scott gets praised for pushing Cameron to the wing because they won by 4 points. Would Bevo get the praise for Naughton playing higher up the ground if had of pinched it?
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

link to the On The Couch segment.

I agree he's got some positioning to improve in his new role, as there were times he was too close (why have a contested marking beast 15m from a boundary throw in?) but I agree with Buckley that Naughton is there as part of a plan.

Only being targeted 10 times inside 50 is because he's not stationed inside 50 as much. We have identified that Marra and Lobb/Darcy are better suited to this role.

I've been pleased with his new role and start to the season.

8. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think Naughtons been ok this season.

10. Likes angelopetraglia, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I actually think Naughtons been ok this season.
    I think that's my point mate...why now???

Every time I turned the TV on this week he's been under attack - but what's he actually been doing wrong? vs Geelong I thought he was a bit better than OK and everyone has decided to have a go.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Every time I turned the TV on this week he's been under attack - but what's he actually been doing wrong? vs Geelong I thought he was a bit better than OK and everyone has decided to have a go.
    Because he didn't trouble the scoreboard, that's what people judge him on and don't see the big picture and his role of playing further up the ground, 16 or so disposals and a half a dozen marks stats wise is a very decent game for his position, compared to round 1 where he kicked a goal but only 1 mark and 6 disposals for the game where he was soundly beaten.

Some people and media have to realize that playing a true CHF position, he's probably not going to impact the scoreboard as much but will help provide opportunities for our other forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Because thoughtful considered and accurate criticism actually requires watching the games.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes hujsh, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get under Bevo's skin, since he's batted away criticism of his handling of Daniel and Macrae and has largely been proved correct in how he's handled them to this point in the season.
    Last edited by jeemak; 10-04-2024 at 03:54 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I agree he's got some positioning to improve in his new role, as there were times he was too close (why have a contested marking beast 15m from a boundary throw in?) but I agree with Buckley that Naughton is there as part of a plan.

Only being targeted 10 times inside 50 is because he's not stationed inside 50 as much. We have identified that Marra and Lobb/Darcy are better suited to this role.

I've been pleased with his new role and start to the season.
    Buckley the only one that made sense. The only thing I agree on with Brown is the last minute where Naughton could have positioned himself better to take a big mark in the F50
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I get everyone is talking about the OTC thing, but Footy Classified via Matthew Lloyd had a crack as well.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I get everyone is talking about the OTC thing, but Footy Classified via Matthew Lloyd had a crack as well.
    I can accept that the Naughton too the back line is a discussion point among those in the media but I think they're underestimating that there has been a slight role change for Naughton this year which will result in less goals than he normally kicks for us.
    He's been playing reasonably well but the media hasn't picked up on it.
    I think there are a few in the media who are are trying to ramp up pressure on Bevo and this is one easy option to achieve that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can accept that the Naughton too the back line is a discussion point among those in the media but I think they're underestimating that there has been a slight role change for Naughton this year which will result in less goals than he normally kicks for us.
    He's been playing reasonably well but the media hasn't picked up on it.
    I think there are a few in the media who are are trying to ramp up pressure on Bevo and this is one easy option to achieve that.
    When they talk about him not being targetted inside 50, they are so close to figuring it out. But then they ramble about why we're not targeting our power forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't watch either show, but saw the comments about on the couch so thought I'd hunt for it.