Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

The Essendon Edge (pre-game thoughts).

First, the game vs the Bombers may or may not have started...I've been meaning to post this all week.

There has been a lot of joking in the media over the past few weeks about the 'Essendon Edge' and some of the things Brad Scott has been trying to implement.

I understand the mirth given the Papley audio and the score vs PA last week...but good on him for trying to make a change and providing a way for the players to:

1/. Understand what is being asked of them. It's a pretty clear 'model' he is going for and if they stuff it up (as they potentially have to this point) it gives them more examples of what it ISN'T - a powerful visual.
    2/. Gets others to hold the players to account for something that isn't kick-mark-handball related.

I've posted about this before but - and I think this was back in the Malthouse era and I was just a young fella - I watched one of the Sunday footy shows and the headline was "Dogs have TRUE GRIT - What about the Rest??"...the panelists then went on to talk about how relentless the side had been in a crucial game when 'rivals' across the league had fallen away when the flames were turned up. That headline has stuck with me for a lifetime.

Whether you think it is funny or whatever, the Bombers aspiring to play relentless footy with - as they say - an edge to it, is something I really wish we aspired too...I'm not sure how tonight will go but I am worried that Essendon are trying to stand for something and with every week that goes by will be getting closer to understands what it means.

And right now, I hope this post ages VERY BADLY!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Essendon Edge (pre-game thoughts).

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    First, the game vs the Bombers may or may not have started...I've been meaning to post this all week.

There has been a lot of joking in the media over the past few weeks about the 'Essendon Edge' and some of the things Brad Scott has been trying to implement.

I understand the mirth given the Papley audio and the score vs PA last week...but good on him for trying to make a change and providing a way for the players to:

1/. Understand what is being asked of them. It's a pretty clear 'model' he is going for and if they stuff it up (as they potentially have to this point) it gives them more examples of what it ISN'T - a powerful visual.
    2/. Gets others to hold the players to account for something that isn't kick-mark-handball related.

I've posted about this before but - and I think this was back in the Malthouse era and I was just a young fella - I watched one of the Sunday footy shows and the headline was "Dogs have TRUE GRIT - What about the Rest??"...the panelists then went on to talk about how relentless the side had been in a crucial game when 'rivals' across the league had fallen away when the flames were turned up. That headline has stuck with me for a lifetime.

Whether you think it is funny or whatever, the Bombers aspiring to play relentless footy with - as they say - an edge to it, is something I really wish we aspired too...I'm not sure how tonight will go but I am worried that Essendon are trying to stand for something and with every week that goes by will be getting closer to understands what it means.

And right now, I hope this post ages VERY BADLY!
    Staying very fresh, fresh as a daisy this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect you for making this post. Like a true coward I only talked my shit in real life.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

There was some typical Brad Scott, Norf like fake tough guy efforts which get the eyes rolling and affirm the vitriol and ridicule of the edge, but they were certainly hungry and combative. We don’t have that.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    There was some typical Brad Scott, Norf like fake tough guy efforts which get the eyes rolling and affirm the vitriol and ridicule of the edge, but they were certainly hungry and combative. We don’t have that.
    Take away the Port game and they have been hard and tough for most of this season. Sydney only got away from them late - that was an underrated performance against a red hot opponent on their home ground.

I watched Zach Merrett closely last night - he is an incredible player and leader. He is total red-line effort in everything he does, especially defending and pressuring when they don't have the ball (something none of our mids honestly can say they do all the time). They planned brilliant for Libba and Bont with the likes Caldwell and Durham - these 2 have smashed them for years and they flat-out refused to be beaten by that again, and challenged us to find another way to win. We obviously failed that test last night.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Take away the Port game and they have been hard and tough for most of this season. Sydney only got away from them late - that was an underrated performance against a red hot opponent on their home ground.

I watched Zach Merrett closely last night - he is an incredible player and leader. He is total red-line effort in everything he does, especially defending and pressuring when they don't have the ball (something none of our mids honestly can say they do all the time). They planned brilliant for Libba and Bont with the likes Caldwell and Durham - these 2 have smashed them for years and they flat-out refused to be beaten by that again, and challenged us to find another way to win. We obviously failed that test last night.
    I tipped them against Port because I thought they were ready for a show of who they want to be going forward. Turns out I was a week early.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Agree and it makes me sick to my stomach.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Brad Scott pointed that out in his presser. They have been consistently super competitive in the middle throughout the season except for two quarters against Port. The media savaged them, which probably meant they even brought a bigger edge to their game last night. They beat us up around the ball and played the game on their terms. Slow, contested and congested.