Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  28
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

Bevo's time was up last year. Now that (rightly or wrongly) we have backed him in with a revamped footy and fitness/conditioning dept, we have to see it through for at least the next 12-18 months. Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era because Caro, Cornes and Damo are demanding blood in April.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes ratsmac, SquirrelGrip, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back Rocket.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's time was up last year. Now that (rightly or wrongly) we have backed him in with a revamped footy and fitness/conditioning dept, we have to see it through for at least the next 12-18 months. Only a shit club would panic 5 weeks into the new era because Caro, Cornes and Damo are demanding blood in April.
    The powers that be that backed him in when his natural tenure obviously ended. Mostly it seems largely due to the cost of having to pay out a large amount of his contract and not having prepared themselves for the recruitment process. Its not just big AFL media ego's baying for blood. He has largely lost the players and they don't respond to him as they did prior in adversity. He has lost the faith of many members and supporters, even some of his most ardent loyalists. He has no excuses now. Perhaps Round 5 is too early-or not enough time to prove his new plans will work but I think 12-18 months leeway is way too generous. I think by half way, round 12 is ample in the 3 weeks of the mid year byes. Any longer without emphatic and unarguable improvement is a waste given an interim coach like Egan could step up and a proper collective breath of relief and fresh air inhaled. I imagine the feelers (they should be) are already out re: availability of candidates for an alternative head coach. Future contract signings are probably also likely to be effected if he hangs around too long if things are futile. Morale sinks, supporters tune out, revenue, sponsorship & prime time games all drop and become less acquirable. My picks are Egan (success at high level with Melbourne & Geelong) or Steven King & Hansen. I'd prefer someone fresh who has a handle on how the game is transforming. Not a seasoned coach who like Bevo is unable to get out of his own tired blueprint. Someone like Adam Kingsley who has GWS humming like a mint Monaro GTS V8 253, coupe of course. I'm open to other candidates in the Kingsley vein.

6. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Again past records. ATM port look capable of playing in a gf and we don?t. I bet most port fans will settle for a prelim if they don?t make a gf. He?ll probably walk anyway.
    History is a better predictor of the future than most other things.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    System coach needed, someone who's done it for years. Dean Cox to the front of the list, love the way Sydney play, very exciting to watch.

If we could pry Josh Carr outta Port that would be hilarious.

I'd consider Hansen back considering his now down stints at a few different teams.

No one who's coached before, no to Bucks, Dew or any other old-head.
    Are you suggesting Bevo isn't a system based coach?

If so that's ridiculous.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ash Hanson, took Footscray to a flag and Carlton moved heaven and Earth to get him in (or put cash in a bag, one or the other)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ash Hanson, took Footscray to a flag and Carlton moved heaven and Earth to get him in (or put cash in a bag, one or the other)
    It must have been a big bag as it happened so late in the piece also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    History is a better predictor of the future than most other things.
    Essendon says hello.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Brett Montgomery has as good and well-rounded a CV as anyone, and should be top of mind for any future senior coaching gigs
    Monty wouldn't have even let this rot set in imo. We might not have the players we have but a Monty coached team would be a team of selfless footballers.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Are you suggesting Bevo isn't a system based coach?

If so that's ridiculous.
    I actually couldnt find a more system-based coach in the AFL. Maybe Ross the Boss but Ross also adapts on-field ad hoc.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind Ash Hansen getting a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    I wouldn't mind Ash Hansen getting a go.
    He has a good coaching background including looking after a VFL side. I do think we could find someone better though but I'd certainly want to interview him if Bevo was to depart.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we need to see it through longer than 5 weeks in an ideal world, but ultimately it depends on the morale of the group. McCartney was going to coach in 2015 until it was found that the group was fractured.

Not saying the same is occurring now, but if it is - or does - the plug needs to be pulled.

The club is in a pretty ugly position. Getting dragged through the mud on field and off field by a mix of opposition, media, and our own supporters can only go on so long before it genuinely impacts sponsorship opportunities and player recruitment. Every club goes through a period of needing a circuit breaker at less than ideal times, we just have to recognise when that is and wear the egg on our faces if it falls that way.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I agree we need to see it through longer than 5 weeks in an ideal world, but ultimately it depends on the morale of the group. McCartney was going to coach in 2015 until it was found that the group was fractured.

Not saying the same is occurring now, but if it is - or does - the plug needs to be pulled.

The club is in a pretty ugly position. Getting dragged through the mud on field and off field by a mix of opposition, media, and our own supporters can only go on so long before it genuinely impacts sponsorship opportunities and player recruitment. Every club goes through a period of needing a circuit breaker at less than ideal times, we just have to recognise when that is and wear the egg on our faces if it falls that way.
    I don't think the two situations can be compared. This feels a lot more like Rodney Eade in 2011 for me.

The club has moved everything around the edges purely so that Bevo can succeed and he's had a pre-season with this group. Ripping it up now and putting in Lade or an interim is either acknowledging that the year is done OR we think someone else could come in and salvage the season, which would mean finals.

We don't have a first-rounder in this draft, so there's no real point in putting the cue in the rack, and you'd be making a huge statement saying that an interim coach could get better results with this group than Beveridge could with a full pre-season learning his game plan and the club having made a whole host of changes purely so he could succeed.

Unless the players have said they're done with Bevo and we're on the cusp of mutiny, I just don't see how McCartney and Beveridge can be compared.