Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Who is the best available senior coach?

    This thread isn?t one to discuss whether we should (or when we should) make a move, more to get a sense of who is available (either currently an assistant at another club or in the media) and get some thoughts on who we?d like and why. I assume the below is current (copy and paste without fact checking).

    So? anyone that stands out from the pack and why?

    Josh Carr (Port Adelaide)

    The Port Adelaide premiership tagger and ex-Fremantle player has shot to prominence this year on the back of his return to the Power, but Carr has been building the resume of a potential senior coach for 13 years. After starting as an assistant with Port in 2011, he ticked what is seen as an important box by leading his own team as North Adelaide's SANFL coach, winning a premiership in 2018. Crossed to Fremantle when former teammate Justin Longmuir took charge ahead of the 2020 season and guided a young and talented midfield that flourished under him. Was headhunted by the Power as a senior assistant and is a frontrunner alongside McQualter for the Richmond vacancy.

    Troy Chaplin (Melbourne)

    As the AFL Coaches Association assistant coach of the year in 2022, Chaplin's work as Melbourne's backline coach has been noticed across the industry. The former Port Adelaide and Richmond defender is building a resume that stacks up among candidates and is keen ? and ready ? to be a senior coach when the right opportunity presents. Has sought further coaching knowledge through Stanford University and A-League club Melbourne City, while the Demons' smaller coaching group allows for training design and strategy to be shared responsibilities. Melbourne had the best defence in 2021 and 2022 with Chaplin in charge, while it ranks No.4 this season for points conceded. The 37-year-old Chaplin would be a first-time applicant this year if he pursued a senior coaching vacancy.

    Daniel Giansiracusa (Essendon)

    A leading contender for recent jobs, the Essendon midfield coach has built a strong coaching foundation to prepare himself for the role if he gets the opportunity. Over nine years, the respected assistant has coached each line, taken charge of Footscray in the VFL, and moved to Essendon to experience a different program. A Level Four graduate, he has continued travelling to develop as a coach, visiting Denmark and Finland last year to learn about their elite ice hockey programs and education methods. Was the AFL Coaches Association's assistant coach of the year in 2020.

    Jaymie Graham (Fremantle)

    Among the final candidates for the Collingwood vacancy won by Craig McRae, Graham experienced success as an assistant with West Coast before crossing to Fremantle at the end of 2021 to further his experience as a coach in a new environment. He is ready for the top job when the right opportunity presents, having started in development with St Kilda in 2012 before joining the Eagles, where he had stints leading the backline, forwards, and coaching WAFL affiliate East Perth. Is close to completing an education degree, which has complemented his coaching, and has played a key role in the emergence of young forwards Jye Amiss and Josh Treacy in his two seasons with the Dockers.

    Ash Hansen (Carlton)

    Among the leading assistants in the game, Hansen is ready to be a senior coach after a well-rounded, 12-year apprenticeship that started in development with the Western Bulldogs and included a VFL premiership with Footscray. Progressed to line coaching roles and is now Carlton's forwards and offence coach with responsibilities for training coordination and strategy. The 40-year-old, who completed the AFL's Level Four program, has not been rushed by vacancies and remains keen to pursue the right senior role for his strengths. The West Coast premiership forward is regarded as a strong communicator and manager with a strategic eye.

    Steven King (Gold Coast)

    King's addition to the Gold Coast panel represented a coup for the Suns when he crossed from the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2021. The former Geelong captain and St Kilda ruckman flew straight from Perth, where the Bulldogs had played in the 2021 Grand Final, to start his new role as senior assistant and midfield coach and made a strong impression as a result. An influential mentor to Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell, King has strong relationships with his players and is viewed as tactically astute, which has come to the fore during his short period as caretaker coach with several game-day moves. The 44-year-old's 13-year apprenticeship has included midfield and defensive roles. He was also Luke Beveridge's senior assistant at the Bulldogs.

    Andrew McQualter (Unsure?)

    As the Tigers' caretaker since Damien Hardwick's departure, McQualter's credentials have been on show for months, both on-field and in the glowing references provided by his players. The 37-year-old took over when the Tigers were 3-6 with one draw, and he has produced a 6-3 record since, putting the club back in the finals race. He is in pole position to win the job permanently but supports the Tigers going through a thorough process. Went deep in Carlton's search that eventually landed on Michael Voss and has been targeted by rivals as an assistant since. Held various line coaching roles through the Tigers' premiership era and has proved he is ready for the next step.

    Chris Newman (Hawthorn)

    The former Richmond captain is in his eighth season with Hawthorn after joining the club as a development coach ahead of the 2016 season. Viewed as a senior coach of the future who is ready for opportunities, Newman was VFL coach of the year in 2017 before leading Box Hill to the premiership in 2018. Appointed as backline coach in 2019, he was entrusted with the forward line this season, given it was a particular area of focus for the Hawks, with added responsibilities in ball movement. The 41-year-old has become a respected and trusted figure at Hawthorn, with strong relationships across all areas of the club.

    Hayden Skipworth (Collingwood)

    Another assistant who been very deliberate in building the strengths required to be a senior coach, Skipworth is now ready for the role after declining previous opportunities to go through application processes. Over close to a decade at Essendon, the 40-year-old was developed specifically to prepare himself for senior coaching, taking charge of the AFL program when John Worsfold was away and helping build Essendon's standalone VFL team, which he coached for four years. Has experience on every line, moving to Collingwood in 2020 as the head of academy before effectively turning his attention to re-shaping the Magpies' ball movement in 2022 and stoppage performances in 2023, improving both areas. A long and diverse apprenticeship has included leadership courses at Harvard and Columbia Universities, and development opportunities with NBA and English Premier League clubs.

    Nathan Buckley (media)

    Stepped down in 2021 during the season and is currently in the media. 55% W/L in season and 41% in finals.

    Brendan Lade (internal)

    Senior assistant who has now been with us since 2023 pre-season after stints at both Richmond and St Kilda.

    Matty Egan (internal)

    Had 3 games as senior coach of Essendon a long time ago and has 15 years coaching experience overall, more recently worked at Melbourne in various development roles (and then at Geelong?) and is currently GM of football.


    Info lifted from https://www.afl.com.au/news/992630/n...nior-coach/amp

  2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    15,935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Looking at that let's stick with Bevo

  4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip, Uninformed, kickit2Koly liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Looking at that let's stick with Bevo
    The best available coach is actually difficult for fans to know.

    I do know that sticking with what you have can only maintain what you currently get.

    We need to get something different if we want an opportunity to improve our result.

    It is possible that a change by Bevo may provide it, but much more likely to be achieved by a change of Bevo.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

  6. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor, Topdog liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    There's a lot of Bulldogs flavour there in terms of guys that have worked under Bevo. You imagine we'd have a pretty good handle on them already.

    Ashley Hansen always seemed to be a strong communicator and well-respected internally.

  8. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Scorlibo liked this post
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    I like Skipworth's resume.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

  10. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes lemmon liked this post
  11. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    9,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Looking at that let's stick with Bevo
    People say that but Bevo had no experience when he came and was supposed to have a role at the Saints when we selected him for the job.

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The best available coach is actually difficult for fans to know.

    I do know that sticking with what you have can only maintain what you currently get.

    We need to get something different if we want an opportunity to improve our result.

    It is possible that a change by Bevo may provide it, but much more likely to be achieved by a change of Bevo.

    A premiership, grand final and regular finals contention.

    Richmond losing their premiership coach hasn't resulted in improvement.

    Hawthorn getting rid of their premiership coach didn't help them.

    Nor did Collingwood going for Buckley and dumping theirs the year he got them to the grand final (Malthouse)

    None of those listed look like a better option than what we have. Would not take any of them.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    40,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    People say that but Bevo had no experience when he came and was supposed to have a role at the Saints when we selected him for the job.
    From memory Bevo was going to be the director of coaching at the Saints before landing the Dogs job.

    I don't mind the list of available coaches including two we already have at the Kennel.
    I remain strong on keeping Bevo until the end of the season but we probably should be casting an eye over available candidates.
    Even some of the assistants that have been at the Dogs before in King, Hansen and Giansiracusa are worthy of being considered.
    I wouldn't discount Cameron as being a potential candidate.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    9,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From memory Bevo was going to be the director of coaching at the Saints before landing the Dogs job.

    I don't mind the list of available coaches including two we already have at the Kennel.
    I remain strong on keeping Bevo until the end of the season but we probably should be casting an eye over available candidates.
    Even some of the assistants that have been at the Dogs before in King, Hansen and Giansiracusa are worthy of being considered.
    I wouldn't discount Cameron as being a potential candidate.
    Is that role what Egan is doing now with us? We did have to ask the Saints for permission as well I believe.

    I'm also happy to take on an ex assistant.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    40,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Is that role what Egan is doing now with us? We did have to ask the Saints for permission as well I believe.

    I'm also happy to take on an ex assistant.
    Egan's the GM of football. He's got a lot of experience.

    Re Bevo, the Saints and no other club would never stand in the way of a senior coaching appointment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    A premiership, grand final and regular finals contention.

    Richmond losing their premiership coach hasn't resulted in improvement.

    Hawthorn getting rid of their premiership coach didn't help them.

    Nor did Collingwood going for Buckley and dumping theirs the year he got them to the grand final (Malthouse)

    None of those listed look like a better option than what we have. Would not take any of them.
    I think they are poor comparisons.
    With Richmond and Hawthorn it could be easily argued they held on too long to their premiership coach. They were both going backwards, recruiting for the now, and the new coach has his hands tied.
    Buckley made a prelim in his first year and lost a close grand final 5 years later. Malthouse was toxic.
    You almost that about Clarkson too. Hardwick resigned.
    3 examples of multiple premiership coaches not like Beveridge atm.

  17. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
  18. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2023
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    I like Carr, Freos midfield and now’s Ports have thrived under him.

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    I think they are poor comparisons.
    With Richmond and Hawthorn it could be easily argued they held on too long to their premiership coach. They were both going backwards, recruiting for the now, and the new coach has his hands tied.
    Buckley made a prelim in his first year and lost a close grand final 5 years later. Malthouse was toxic.
    You almost that about Clarkson too. Hardwick resigned.
    3 examples of multiple premiership coaches not like Beveridge atm.
    There are various perceptions around those coaches. But I think the broad theme is fair. Who has dumped a premiership coach and then done better, ever?

    Another example would be Mathews. Won the pies their first flag in a long time. After a few average years they dumped him. Buckley to Collingwood, Mathews to the Lions. How did that work out.

    I will be very interested in how the Eagles go, having decided to stick with their premiership coach despite a couple of horrible years. They look to be improving to me, with no help from the AFL.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    There are various perceptions around those coaches. But I think the broad theme is fair. Who has dumped a premiership coach and then done better, ever?

    Another example would be Mathews. Won the pies their first flag in a long time. After a few average years they dumped him. Buckley to Collingwood, Mathews to the Lions. How did that work out.

    I will be very interested in how the Eagles go, having decided to stick with their premiership coach despite a couple of horrible years. They look to be improving to me, with no help from the AFL.
    Geelong has prospered after the change from Thompson to Scott. Premiership first year and then sustained success for a long, long period after that.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is the best available senior coach?

    West coast went from Worsfold to Simpson.
    Carlton Parkin to Walls
    Hawthorn Kennedy to Parkin to Jeans to Joyce and back Jeans.

  22. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •