Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using our resources.

I reckon Bont has been a bit off all year, his season is more 2022 than 21/23 he just hasn't had that sheen to his game as Bevo would call it.

Where do you think we are at MJP? I think the whole industry has no idea where we are at I just wonder whether or not the club does?Did you notice improved running power? I must say there was multiple reports of increased running preseason it just hasn't shone out in games just yet.

It feels like a refresh it just a question if the club and Bevo are on the same page.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It?s clear I know nothing about footy as last night wasn?t a night where I thought we showed much at all to be excited by, let alone showing LOTS.
    31 clearances by Serong (17) Fyfe (7) Brayshaw (7) and just what were our tactics to stop this ?

Post Thanks / Like

MJP do you think Buku and JOD were deliberately dragged back deep by their opponents and this effected how they played
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    MJP do you think Buku and JOD were deliberately dragged back deep by their opponents and this effected how they played
    Yes - Of course they were...and 100%.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yes - Of course they were...and 100%.
    What can you do to counter a move like that? I presume as a defender not much unless you are good enough to still defend
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we would have done better playing Keath instead of JOD. Less dash, but maybe more reliable deep defence?

Like you, I thought there were lots of positives. I particularly like the evidence of Garcia's speed and evasive ability and clean ground ball gets.

(I think Bont. is, at a minimum, carrying an ankle problem and probably more.) Would like to see Garcia spend some time in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we would have done better playing Keath instead of JOD. Less dash, but maybe more reliable deep defence?

Like you, I thought there were lots of positives. I particularly like the evidence of Garcia's speed and evasive ability and clean ground ball gets.

(I think Bont. is, at a minimum, carrying an ankle problem and probably more.) Would like to see Garcia spend some time in the middle.

Freo are a decent side with Fyfe firing for the first time in a long time and the Darcy/Jackson combo. Serong is a gun.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be giving Keath a burst of six games with JOD and Jones next to him, and encouraging him to peel off and play the intercept game.

We brought him across after a year in the role at Adelaide and I think he could still offer us something. What I've seen of Khamis is fine, and there's something to work with but I fear his confidence is going to be cooked after that and a month or so at the lower level will do him good.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to invesr games into Garcia
    There qas one passage od play at halfback in the last quarter where he received a terruble handleball amomgst 3 Freo players. Somehow evade them , turned around , kept poessession and kick in onto the wing.

I am a bit perplexed with what to do wirh Khamis ??? Do we develop him in vfl to be better 1:1 as the 2nd best defender? His lack of footy IQ showed on sat night. His still RAW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What can you do to counter a move like that? I presume as a defender not much unless you are good enough to still defend
    Drop an extra back

Post Thanks / Like

Try and attract Dale Morris back to club or another top ex back man to coach Buku and JOD. Maybe Jones is imparting some of his knowledge but we need to fast track Buku and JOD (& Buss if he is staying with us).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Watching, Freo got back in massive numbers...the Saints were a bit off last week (they're way better than they showed).

It's easy to say 'just kick through the zone' but they were really teasing the kicker on any attempt to change the lane and it would not have been easy...to be fair, we did the same and they also had trouble scoring.

Again - to me if we just have Jones deep at all times and kick straight in q3, we win. Even that mark Buku 'nearly' took in q4...that just 'felt' like a 'KILL' moment (as in, kill this, get it out of there). And I get that taking the mark is the 'ultimate' kill (and he 'nearly' took it) but as soon as it hit the deck it was a goal and that was a BIG MOMENT.

Again - on feel - he and JOD just aren't up to the moments we are trying to get them to play YET. Draper (Freo) is also not up to those moments...he was subbed out with a hamstring. I know this meant Luke Ryan had to fight out of his weight division but I would have actually preferred to see Richards trying to fight out of his weight class vs - say - Treacy - and Garcia in the mids than Buku and JOD in the last line. BUT - how are they going to learn if they never do it?

On the other hand, if Liber plays do Fyfe and Serong kill us at the stop like that??
    We're full of almost opportunities they've been happening for 6 years. We never execute in clutch moments, we never seem to come from behind and take the game and we never seem ro win the close ones or 'hang tough'.

It's the sum of our parts and an accumulative affect over years.

I'd be fine if it was just one game, or 6 games or one season but it's not.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Try and attract Dale Morris back to club or another top ex back man to coach Buku and JOD. Maybe Jones is imparting some of his knowledge but we need to fast track Buku and JOD (& Buss if he is staying with us).
    I think he moved up north for family reasons Josie so the Lions job was a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd be giving Keath a burst of six games with JOD and Jones next to him, and encouraging him to peel off and play the intercept game.

We brought him across after a year in the role at Adelaide and I think he could still offer us something. What I've seen of Khamis is fine, and there's something to work with but I fear his confidence is going to be cooked after that and a month or so at the lower level will do him good.
    He looked good in the VFL game i saw live (willy). I wanted him in after that.
    Buku - he's improving no doubt, but might be time for a spell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I'd rather we go with Buss... Keath is 32, Buss is 20.

We need to look forward, not back.. if Jones gets injured then we play Keath but otherwise we need to fast-track the new breed as quickly as we can.

18. Likes lemmon, MrMahatma liked this post