Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not even a question: Melbourne great declares Darcy more valuable than Reid

Link

Is West Coast?s newest superstar Harley Reid the most valuable player in the game?

A forgone conclusion in the eyes of many given Reid?s extraordinary 11 games to start his career, but Melbourne great David Schwarz says otherwise.

Schwarz believes young Bulldog Sam Darcy would be the player he would take before any other across the league, pointing to the 20-year-old?s remarkable attributes.

Darcy, standing at 208cms, has kicked 22 goals from 11 games in 2024 including another three on Friday night.

?You just can?t find 6-foot-10 blokes who can mark, kick and are good at ground level,? Schwarz told AFL Nation.

?But the best thing I saw (on Friday) night, he got into a lot of trouble early on, he?s reported and knows he?s going to miss a few weeks. He then stuffs up a few things, gets called onto the bench and Bevo (Luke Beveridge) speaks to him? for a young player, that is licence to drop your head and go into your shell.

?But he didn?t do that, he did the opposite. He said 'stuff you, I?m going to prove to you that my game isn?t finished'.

?He showed so much courage.?

As noted, Darcy is expected to miss multiple games for a first term collision with Brayden Maynard in the Bulldogs? three-goal win.

So too will Reid after a dangerous tackle in his side's loss to St Kilda, meaning both young superstars are out of the Rising Star race.

Reid has single-handedly turned the narrative for the Eagles in his first season west after being taken with the no.1 pick and has played several blistering games.

But Schwarz expects Darcy will prove to be a player more special given what he can do.

?Harley Reid is spoken about as head and tails in front of every other young kid in the game,? he continued.

?I know Darcy has been in (the competition) for three years, they were both eligible for the Rising Star (before the weekend)? would I take Harley Reid or Sam Darcy?

?If they were lined up today? I?m taking Darcy, and it?s not even a question of by how far. It?s a fair distance.

?Harley Reid is a generational player, I get that.

?But to find a ruckman who can play forward with all the skill in the air and on the ground, they are so hard to find.

?Every side has a bull midfielder. Has every side got a 6-foot-10 who can play ruck, forward and do everything around the ground? There?s probably one in the competition.?

With both Reid and Darcy ineligible for the Rising Star, St Kilda?s Darcy Wilson, Geelong?s Ollie Dempsey and North Melbourne?s George Wardlaw are among the next best chances for the award.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?it?s not even a question?: Melbourne great declares darcy more valuable than reid

I still think the forward/ruck role is the hardest to fill in the game.
    Getting a decent one is hard... getting an exceptional one is platinum. Better than gold.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes bornadog, Uninformed, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?it?s not even a question?: Melbourne great declares darcy more valuable than reid

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I still think the forward/ruck role is the hardest to fill in the game.
    Getting a decent one is hard... getting an exceptional one is platinum. Better than gold.
    Is that why Lobb went with a different hair colour this week? To show he is platinum (or according I think to Chef's wife Ash)!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes josie, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's not even a question: Melbourne great declares Darcy more valuable than Reid

I agree with Ox. Darcy is so rare. Sanders is say an 80 percent version of Reid.
    Name a kid that's 80 percent of Darcy, they don't exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's not even a question: Melbourne great declares Darcy more valuable than Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I agree with Ox. Darcy is so rare. Sanders is say an 80 percent version of Reid.
    Name a kid that's 80 percent of Darcy, they don't exist.
    Darc. Or, Arcy. Does it need to be in the same order?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else a bit uncomfortable with all this hype. I mean I love that he is already so good and he looks like being a superstar but just let him develop without all the hype. Then again maybe it is a good thing and we get lots of new supporters on board.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need the hype around our players when we get a superstar because even our stars (i.e. everyone a rung below Bont) are usually underrated.

Having Sam Darcy the heir apparent to Bont couldn't be better timed. Bring on the hype.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

13. Likes josie, bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy is an extremely promising young footballer. Also happens to be (very) tall, dark haired, handsome and well spoken (like his Dad, quelle surprise).

Agree he is a likely future captain. Marketability and popularity unlimited, a bit like another Darcy I can remember from 1995 TV series Pride and Prejudice. Played by Colin Firth (also rather noice).

I herewith formally anoint him Esquire Fitzwilliam Darcy. Or, as we love nicknames, Fitzy. Or just plain old Darcy.

Post Thanks / Like

People are starting to notice him and not just because he bumped Maynard.

He marks well. He kicks well. He moves well. He is starting to play like a guy who is 2 or 3 years beyond where he actually is.

16. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Darcy is an extremely promising young footballer. Also happens to be (very) tall, dark haired, handsome and well spoken (like his Dad, quelle surprise).

Agree he is a likely future captain. Marketability and popularity unlimited, a bit like another Darcy I can remember from 1995 TV series Pride and Prejudice. Played by Colin Firth (also rather noice).

I herewith formally anoint him Esquire Fitzwilliam Darcy. Or, as we love nicknames, Fitzy. Or just plain old Darcy.
    Do we now call him EFD
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Anyone else a bit uncomfortable with all this hype. I mean I love that he is already so good and he looks like being a superstar but just let him develop without all the hype. Then again maybe it is a good thing and we get lots of new supporters on board.
    Nope, he's that good. Hype away, lid's off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Nope, he's that good. Hype away, lid's off.
    What this guy said. He's something to get legit excited over, let's embrace it. Given his background and grounding I'm not too concerned about him going full Jake Stringer and believing the hype.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What this guy said. He's something to get legit excited over, let's embrace it. Given his background and grounding I'm not too concerned about him going full Jake Stringer and believing the hype.
    Just need to keep him away from the high schools
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

22. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm pretty confident that won't be an issue for Sam
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I did spot Sam out the front of Camberwell Grammar recently, hopefully just picking up his siblings.

25. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post