Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If there was relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Everything would need to be restructured. The OP was more a hypothetical about clubs if relegation existed. But to one of your points, watching the two strongest stand alone state teams fighting for promotion should be one hell of a game. Until the umpires make a shit call and cost a club a multimillion dollar pay day by costing them promotion.
    Well, I know we'd be up for the game...not sure anyone would care to watch which is really why (together with the advent of Thursday night footy) why the Foxtel Cup died...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything would need to be restructured. The OP was more a hypothetical about clubs if relegation existed. But to one of your points, watching the two strongest stand alone state teams fighting for promotion should be one hell of a game. Until the umpires make a shit call and cost a club a multimillion dollar pay day by costing them promotion.
    Imagine if Collingwood finished bottom 2 and their 100K members had to go watch the VFL

But as a thing on it's own, i think that would be a great idea for a "State League Championship Of Australia" type of award/trophy type of set up for the 3 main State league sides to play out for, whether it being the 3 Premiership sides or the three that topped the ladder at the end of the home and away, but the 3 games would be as of right now....Footscray v East Perth game 1, Glenelg v Footscray game 2 and East Perth v Glenelg game 3, bring that on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Imagine if Collingwood finished bottom 2 and their 100K members had to go watch the VFL

But as a thing on it's own, i think that would be a great idea for a "State League Championship Of Australia" type of award/trophy type of set up for the 3 main State league sides to play out for, whether it being the 3 Premiership sides or the three that topped the ladder at the end of the home and away, but the 3 games would be as of right now....Footscray v East Perth game 1, Glenelg v Footscray game 2 and East Perth v Glenelg game 3, bring that on!
    With no disrespect to Footscray, given they have access to full-time AFL players they should be excluded from this...

Post Thanks / Like

That was the Foxtel Cup wasn’t it?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    With no disrespect to Footscray, given they have access to full-time AFL players they should be excluded from this...
    Well i suggested the highest ranked stand alone club (as of right now Werribee) being promoted as you can't have two Bulldogs or Hawks, Demons etc in the AFL, so you're probably right there, might be a slight advantage.

But when we became the AFL, everything changed for the good and not so good, can't really have a true state of origin anymore, it's just "too hard" and it's a shame the old night series kind of dwindled away as once upon a time it was an exciting pre-season comp, i mean heck, even Weg drew us up a poster for '63!

PXL_20240611_034223014.jpg

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was the Foxtel Cup wasn’t it?
    Yeah i kind of only vaguely remember it, not sure why it only ran for a few seasons? Although it did include quite a few teams rather than just the three highest ranked sides from Vic, WA and SA.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the idea of an FA Cup Style knockout comp open to every senior footy club in Australia (except the AFL-aligned clubs) would be a winner. Top of each state then play off against the other states. A bit like March Madness College basketball.

That'd be better than promotion and relegation.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i kind of only vaguely remember it, not sure why it only ran for a few seasons? Although it did include quite a few teams rather than just the three highest ranked sides from Vic, WA and SA.
    Only top 3 or 4 from WA were in, I remember that much.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to make promotion/relegation work is with a fully professional two tier competition.

Try working a draft and trading into a two tiered competition, to can it difficult either be an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda feel like this was bait for us to say Coach Bad
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there is a push to bring back the reserves comp which is how the way the vfl has gone anyway.
    I think it should go fully back to clubs having its own under 19s but under 19s is only for players in your metro area and is state based.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I believe there is a push to bring back the reserves comp which is how the way the vfl has gone anyway.
    I think it should go fully back to clubs having its own under 19s but under 19s is only for players in your metro area and is state based.
    And those players in your u19's are zoned to you or able to be drafted by anyone??

Seems weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    And those players in your u19's are zoned to you or able to be drafted by anyone??

Seems weird.
    Draft by anyone , the reason I say state based and only in the metro areas you live in is because they are still young and going to school, also not paid to play under 19s its not fully professional so they need to still live with family.
    If you are drafted well a decent wage and proffesional assistants covers the rest.
    If you live in the country you play local, unless you move to metro . Recruiters are out there you get seen.
    Old school I know but it’s now turned into a private school sport.
    You still have under 19s state carnival where the best compete against each other.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Draft by anyone , the reason I say state based and only in the metro areas you live in is because they are still young and going to school, also not paid to play under 19s its not fully professional so they need to still live with family.
    If you are drafted well a decent wage and proffesional assistants covers the rest.
    If you live in the country you play local, unless you move to metro . Recruiters are out there you get seen.
    Old school I know but it’s now turned into a private school sport.
    You still have under 19s state carnival where the best compete against each other.
    So, we would fund, staff and run/direct resources into a football team/squad and derive no actual benefit?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So, we would fund, staff and run/direct resources into a football team/squad and derive no actual benefit?
    ...that's kind of my take as well...sounds like the academies argument on speed...

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post