Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griffin-emerging as a mid at last

Ok. Tonight wasn't that awesome. But one Ryan Griffin has been doing very well as a midfielder. After his first match in quite a while he has had 21, 25 and 23 possies in the 3 matches playing as a midfielder doing his little(for lack of a better adjective) shimmies. Could we be seeing the next part of our future starting midfield of Cross Cooney and Griffin?

MikeSheahan Guest

Re: Griffin-emerging as a mid at last

Even though their style is different, but I can see Ryan playing as an exact replica of Chad Cornes. Would not be surprised at all if Rocket agrees. Ryan's time on the big stage has arrived. Will be a superstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSheahan View Post
    Even though their style is different, but I can see Ryan playing as an exact replica of Chad Cornes. Would not be surprised at all if Rocket agrees. Ryan's time on the big stage has arrived. Will be a superstar.
    Poor analogy, totally different players.

Agree that Griffen will become a very good player.

MikeSheahan Guest

Poor analogy? No, I said, "even though their style is different"....Let me put it this way, I can see Ryan playing a similar role, as a tall mobile midfielder, that can be used to pinch hit where necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor analogy? No, I said, "even though their style is different"....Let me put it this way, I can see Ryan playing a similar role, as a tall mobile midfielder, that can be used to pinch hit where necessary.
    Pinch hit? Are you saying at CHB or CHF or what?

MikeSheahan Guest

I'm a touch surprised you miss my point. Pinch hit? Chad Cornes can play every position on the ground, whether it be CHF, CHB, midfield, wing etc, to be the most versatile player in the AFL. I can see Ryan Griffen reaching the same level, to be of most benefit to the Bulldogs. To have a player that can fill a hole where necessary during the course of a game, in the heat of the battle, is surely something every coach would love at their disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a touch surprised you miss my point. Pinch hit? Chad Cornes can play every position on the ground, whether it be CHF, CHB, midfield, wing etc, to be the most versatile player in the AFL. I can see Ryan Griffen reaching the same level, to be of most benefit to the Bulldogs. To have a player that can fill a hole where necessary during the course of a game, in the heat of the battle, is surely something every coach would love at their disposal.
    I see Cornes a a mid who plays CHF or CHB not so much on a flank that often. Griffin will be versatile but not to the point where he can play on J.Brown in a final or in the middle

Post Thanks / Like

Play Griff on J Brown in a final and I'm having flashback's to R Smith on Robram.......

Post Thanks / Like

He has added a lot to the midfield and I'll be the first to admit I thought he was more of a defender or winger.

Post Thanks / Like

He already is a tall (188cm) mobile midfielder? Very different style to C.C indeed and not as versatile as him either. I doubt Griff will ever be as versatile as C.C as he's not overly strong above his head. I am assuming pinch hitting in this sense means HBF or HFF (wherever he is required) rather than CHF or CHB. By versatile I assume you mean he will learn to play forward and be attacking or can play back and be equally effective back there as well ATM he is an attacking HB trying to get a kick in the middle. I see him settling down into the old Ruck Rover role.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the point he was making, Griff could play out the goal square, last line of defence on someone, where ever. He has the talent. Obviously he wouldn't be matched up on guys 15 cms taller and 20 kgs heavier....

I think Griff has always had the capability to play an elite midfield role at AFL level. He's just been taught the game as a defender, which will no doubt help make him much more complete. He's only now really starting to show his true attacking ability with goals and terrific runs and ball use forward of centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen's been sensational in the last two weeks. Unlucky not to have kicked 3 goals this week, really should've drilled it after his hard work.

He's working really hard and his big body and amazing agility is a deadly combination. He's impossible to tackle and when you can kick the ball like he can, you're a deadset superstar. He's certainly given our midfield a serious boost.

Not to mention he's now kicking and setting up plenty of goals. Not easy ones either, as he's having to dodge in and between players and slot them from 45+.

He's also leading our clearances & inside 50's - two very impressive stats.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where your coming from, and remember, Chad was playing along side Tredrea for quite a few seasons until going back in defence, he could also play on a wing, in the guts as a tall mid.

I think alot of people confuse positions these days, rather than match up's, you rarely see the traditional positions on a ground, the full back on the full forward, both pockets either end, both flanks either end, both wings, especially with loose players in defence, floods, zones etc.

Bascially saying that Griff could basically play anywhere, off course he's not going to pick up a JBrown or a Richo or Barry Hall, it's a bit like Murph playing from CHF, he's not a traditional CHF, but can play that role as a leading type that takes alot of marks up the ground, and naturally has a running defender playing on him, rather than a lumbering monster CHB.

Griff will be one of those players that you'd want 2 or 3 of, a bit like when Chris Grant, once again, different players, but Granty played alot of different positions, CHB, CHF, FF, ruck rover etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Has really shown a strong pair of hands when marking overhead in the last few weeks.

Getting much more ball these days, bursting through packs taking marks when needed against smaller mids, dashing runs (like against Sydney)

Just an awesome player.

Post Thanks / Like

Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Aker.

That's as elite a centre-square combination as you are going to get in today's game. It's amazing that Aker has been part of two of the top 5 great centre-square combinations in the last decade (with Black, Voss, Lappin etc).

You throw in the other guys that rotate through there -- Cross, Boyd, West, Eagle, Gia -- and that's pure quality and hardness right through.