Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray, Everitt and Williams.....

Are all in contention for selection over the next few weeks, provided their form warrants selection!

The big question is, who do drop to bring these guys in??

The 3 obvious names would of been, Callan, Addison and Hill and maybe even Cam Wight but these boys have shown that they are more than capable of playing at the to level and have all put in some blinders.

Callan has ben fantastic for us. Hard at the contest, head over the ball and good over his head. He is even starting to gain confidence and overlapping with runs through the middle. He has shown he is willing to kill himself to win a contest (love that) We need this in our backline and he is playing like someone is in our best 22.

Addison is fantastic. he embodies the true bulldog spirit, hard as nails, absolutely no fear, hard running and very good ball winning ability. He has progressively gotten better over the last few weeks and has been guilty far lass of errant disposal. His decison making is still a bit down, but that comes from experience. Very much in our top 22.

Josh Hill began with a flury in his first few games. He had the poise and presence of mind of somebody who has played over 100 games of footy. His hands are good and understands how to read the game. His form of late has not been so flash and he has dropped way off from the form that won him the rising star nom, but still doing some nice things. Out of the 3, I think Josh Hill is the one player who they might consider dropping if his form doesn't lift to what we know it can.

So......

Who do we drop?

Daniel Giansiracusa is one that I would drop immeadiately. His form has been very very poor and apart from the odd opportunistic goal, he is well down on intensity for a contest, strength in his body and is as slow as a wet week. Time and time again he was bundled out of the way, losing his footing and really didn't provide a contest 1 on 1 when the ball was in the air. He needs some time to go back and find his feet.

Nathan Eagleton is another who needs to go back and re discover how to use the footbal again. His kicking and decision making has been pretty average over the last 3 weeks and he has not been anywhere near as damaging as we would like. He's been continually mis kicking with that long left foot and it seems it's the trick he has. Unless he is wheeling around on the left, he doesn't seem to have any contingencies if he is down a bit. Eagle is an out wide player who is expected to run, and kick goals, he is doing neither at the moment and I think he is in line for a stint with Willy.

I wouldn't drop Cam Wight at the moment, he is doing quite well and last night was a great performance. He spoilt well, got to the contest, overlapped and kicked a great goal.

That leaves me with two exclusions as I simply cannot see a 3rd one.

Everitt is not a backman and would be great to use as a roaming player as we do with Eagle. His skills and game reading are very good and is more versatile.

Ray a straight swap for Gia. Ray is quick, good overhead and has a bigger engine. He is also super creative (then again so is Gia, so that cancels out)

What a fantastic problem we are faced with, players fighting for their position and raising their game each week to ensure they stay in the side. This is what having a little depth will do to the form of a side.

Discuss?? Who will have to make way in the coming weeks and why?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ray, Everitt and Williams.....

Obviously Gia is one of your Scape goats.
    No where near being dropped.

I'm not a great Eagleton fan but he won't be dropped in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there are any obvious changes at the moment, but Ray will have to squeeze back in somewhere when he is ready, as he is certainly in the best 22.

The other 2 you mentioned will have to prove themselves with consistent B's form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Obviously Gia is one of your Scape goats.
    No where near being dropped.

I'm not a great Eagleton fan but he won't be dropped in a hurry.
    What are you talking about, scapegoat?

I'm looking at possible replacements for these players that will be pushing for selection. Gia has been poor, are you disputing this?

Eagleton has is nowhere near it, why wouldn't he be considered?

Like it or not we have to make some hard calls and these two guys are not playing anywhere near well enough to hold down a spot. It's not about scapegoating as it is having a good problem of players fighting for their spots and it doesn't matter who you are, you need to be on top of your game.

I know how you love a good stouche Ernie

Post Thanks / Like

Yes very apt assessment. I have also lost patience with Guido, I think he needs a rest for Ray. Even considering the loss of Higgins we have many creative forwards like Guido at the moment and he's not doing enough. Drop Guido for Ray and drop Hill for Everitt. Addison and Callan are safe and Wight deserves a few more weeks after his performance last night. Pretty cut-throat isn't it but with depth now we need to get the best options on the park. I'm not saying Ray and Everitt are the best options, but if others are not pulling their weight or are a little down then there are players in the wings waiting for their turn. I don't think Guido has been bad so to speak, he had a great game the other week, he's just not the Guido of old and needs a rest to have a think about things and find some form IMO. I know Rocket will not want to drop Hill but his past three games have been ordinary, I'm happy enough if he isn't dropped as he is still a contributor but I reckon Everitt looked more creative with his few games last year and I think he should come in. The only person I could think of to drop for Everitt is Hill, so bit unlucky but that's AFL football. As Big Will said we are all bits of meat!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually upon reconsideration Ego for Everitt may be a better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I don't think there are any obvious changes at the moment, but Ray will have to squeeze back in somewhere when he is ready, as he is certainly in the best 22.

The other 2 you mentioned will have to prove themselves with consistent B's form.
    Fair call. At the start of the year it was a big worry about being short down back but we have been much better and our midfielders are working harder pushing back.

I think if their form is undeniable, the players I have mentioned are certainly in the firing line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yes very apt assessment. I have also lost patience with Guido, I think he needs a rest for Ray. Even considering the loss of Higgins we have many creative forwards like Guido at the moment and he's not doing enough. Drop Guido for Ray and drop Hill for Everitt. Addison and Callan are safe and Wight deserves a few more weeks after his performance last night. Pretty cut-throat isn't it but with depth now we need to get the best options on the park. I'm not saying Ray and Everitt are the best options, but if others are not pulling their weight or are a little down then there are players in the wings waiting for their turn. I don't think Guido has been bad so to speak, he had a great game the other week, he's just not the Guido of old and needs a rest to have a think about things and find some form IMO. I know Rocket will not want to drop Hill but his past three games have been ordinary, I'm happy enough if he isn't dropped as he is still a contributor but I reckon Everitt looked more creative with his few games last year and I think he should come in. The only person I could think of to drop for Everitt is Hill, so bit unlucky but that's AFL football. As Big Will said we are all bits of meat!
    Sometimes others are just far more eloquant in explaining their views, Beautifully summed up.

Post Thanks / Like

For mine, swapping Eagle for Ray sounds like a better option. Like seeing Ray on the wing, however, dont believe this is what will happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that some are less than impressed with Guido's form to date this year. I think he has lifted his game to a high standard this year, and is amongst the leaders in the league for goal assists.
    I was not happy with his form last year, but I think he has gained ground again and is back to the mark required of a team leader.
    Not a chance of him getting dropped on present form.

His ranking against other Dogs teammates this year are as follows.

Ranked 5th for possessions for the season.
    Ranked 5th for marks per game.
    Ranked 5th for average tackles per game.
    Ranked 3rd in clearances per game
    Ranked 7th for inside 50's.

I know stats can say many things, but these are not the numbers for a bloke who is on the verge of being dropped.
    He has improved his hardness, does not go to ground as much, and is and always has been a very good shot at goal. He is a vital part of our forward line and with his improved hardness a good rotation for the midfield.

As for who will make way for Ray, Everitt and Williams. At this point in time it would be hard to say. Not too much need for change when you've yet to drop a game. Let's see how these 3 go on the injury comeback trail, and it will be a worry I will gladly accept as to who to drop if their form warrants consideration.
    Next week will be a big test for Hill, he may be under the most pressure, given he has the least experience of our top 22. If Ray shows good form in the next 2-3 weeks either he or Eagleton may come under scrutiny.
    Wight although he has shown improvement, still has some way to go, and whether he holds his place long term will be determined by whether he continues to improve week by week, and how well either Williams or Everitt go in the next 3 weeks. Given Williams has been injured since December, his fitness base is not going to be up to scratch, so I don't think we can expect to see him in a Dogs jumper for some weeks. Everitty maybe 2-4 weeks of time with Williamstown is required, befroe he will be considered.
    I tend to think Ward, Tiller and maybe Skipper will be up for consideration before Williams or Everitt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I tend to think Ward, Tiller and maybe Skipper will be up for consideration before Williams or Everitt.
    Very fair call there YHF.

We all would love to see Ray, Williams and Everitt in the senior team because we know they are in our best 22. However their spots have to be earned and not earned by potential but by performance and I mean sustained performance.

Ward, Tiller and Skipper deserve to be ahead of these 3 at this stage. This may and possibly could change quite quickly but for now they have the upper hand.

I'd really like to see Ray, Williams and Everitt get plenty of Willi time because of their limited pre-seasons. We're going OK without them at the moment and we have a long season ahead of us with many tough battles to face. So, the harder we work them into form and the harder we make them earn their spots the better depth we will have and the better we will be as a team.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't even going to bother posting, but i couldn't help myself.

It's just disappointing to read other posters thoughts with regard to Gia, he has been exceptional all year thus far, he has kicked goals when we needed them (both miraculous ones and also set shots late in the game), he has been team orientated and would have to be leading our goal assists, sticks his tackles more often then not.

There is no way you would get this sort of return from either Ray or Everit, especially coming back from long injuries.

So what do you expect from Gia??

I must add that I never used to see why Eagle copped such a bake on the forums, but now i see, no defensive pressure/accountability, no right foot and his trusty left is letting him down.

If a runner needs to be dropped, i think it should be Eagle! Not Gia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm surprised that some are less than impressed with Guido's form to date this year. I think he has lifted his game to a high standard this year, and is amongst the leaders in the league for goal assists.
    I was not happy with his form last year, but I think he has gained ground again and is back to the mark required of a team leader.
    Not a chance of him getting dropped on present form.

His ranking against other Dogs teammates this year are as follows.

Ranked 5th for possessions for the season.
    Ranked 5th for marks per game.
    Ranked 5th for average tackles per game.
    Ranked 3rd in clearances per game
    Ranked 7th for inside 50's.

I know stats can say many things, but these are not the numbers for a bloke who is on the verge of being dropped.
    He has improved his hardness, does not go to ground as much, and is and always has been a very good shot at goal. He is a vital part of our forward line and with his improved hardness a good rotation for the midfield.

As for who will make way for Ray, Everitt and Williams. At this point in time it would be hard to say. Not too much need for change when you've yet to drop a game. Let's see how these 3 go on the injury comeback trail, and it will be a worry I will gladly accept as to who to drop if their form warrants consideration.
    Next week will be a big test for Hill, he may be under the most pressure, given he has the least experience of our top 22. If Ray shows good form in the next 2-3 weeks either he or Eagleton may come under scrutiny.
    Wight although he has shown improvement, still has some way to go, and whether he holds his place long term will be determined by whether he continues to improve week by week, and how well either Williams or Everitt go in the next 3 weeks. Given Williams has been injured since December, his fitness base is not going to be up to scratch, so I don't think we can expect to see him in a Dogs jumper for some weeks. Everitty maybe 2-4 weeks of time with Williamstown is required, befroe he will be considered.
    Fair enough but we have high expectations of him also considering he is in the leadership group. I would be interested to see his contested possession count against the rest of the team, his clanger count and his tackle count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    I wasn't even going to bother posting, but i couldn't help myself.

It's just disappointing to read other posters thoughts with regard to Gia, he has been exceptional all year thus far, he has kicked goals when we needed them (both miraculous ones and also set shots late in the game), he has been team orientated and would have to be leading our goal assists, sticks his tackles more often then not.

There is no way you would get this sort of return from either Ray or Everit, especially coming back from long injuries.

So what do you expect from Gia??

I must add that I never used to see why Eagle copped such a bake on the forums, but now i see, no defensive pressure/accountability, no right foot and his trusty left is letting him down.

If a runner needs to be dropped, i think it should be Eagle! Not Gia!

Hard to go against a bloke when he is a hero to you I know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hard to go against a bloke when he is a hero to you I know...
    Moron! Glad we don't have wankers like you on the selection panel at the club.