Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ray, Everitt and Williams.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm surprised that some are less than impressed with Guido's form to date this year. I think he has lifted his game to a high standard this year, and is amongst the leaders in the league for goal assists.
    I was not happy with his form last year, but I think he has gained ground again and is back to the mark required of a team leader.
    Not a chance of him getting dropped on present form.

His ranking against other Dogs teammates this year are as follows.

Ranked 5th for possessions for the season.
    Ranked 5th for marks per game.
    Ranked 5th for average tackles per game.
    Ranked 3rd in clearances per game
    Ranked 7th for inside 50's.

I know stats can say many things, but these are not the numbers for a bloke who is on the verge of being dropped.
    He has improved his hardness, does not go to ground as much, and is and always has been a very good shot at goal. He is a vital part of our forward line and with his improved hardness a good rotation for the midfield.

As for who will make way for Ray, Everitt and Williams. At this point in time it would be hard to say. Not too much need for change when you've yet to drop a game. Let's see how these 3 go on the injury comeback trail, and it will be a worry I will gladly accept as to who to drop if their form warrants consideration.
    Next week will be a big test for Hill, he may be under the most pressure, given he has the least experience of our top 22. If Ray shows good form in the next 2-3 weeks either he or Eagleton may come under scrutiny.
    Wight although he has shown improvement, still has some way to go, and whether he holds his place long term will be determined by whether he continues to improve week by week, and how well either Williams or Everitt go in the next 3 weeks. Given Williams has been injured since December, his fitness base is not going to be up to scratch, so I don't think we can expect to see him in a Dogs jumper for some weeks. Everitty maybe 2-4 weeks of time with Williamstown is required, befroe he will be considered.
    I tend to think Ward, Tiller and maybe Skipper will be up for consideration before Williams or Everitt.
    Ranked 5th on average. To me this means he is the 5th best midfielder in the team, sounds about right after Cross, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, West (who else there to really compete against in the midfield?) 5th highest means he is the least performed midfielder in the team. Seriously, I am a Guido fan, always has been but he is not a midfielder. He needs to be a creative option in the forward line and kick goals. I would also be interested in how many goals he has kicked this year against his average of the last few years. You have posted a series of numbers up on Guido that I don't feel are all that flattering considering he is classified as a mid now, number of goals, tackles, clanger count and contested possessions would be a much better analysis of how is going.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 27-04-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    Moron! Glad we don't have wankers like you on the selection panel at the club.
    Well that's just delightful. And I think you have misunderstood me, although we lash out at what we don't understand so I won't hold it against you. My reference to hero was also labeled at me (I said in a previous post that I am a big Guido fan, always have been), so it is hard for me (as a Guido fan) to write a post against him. Please use your brains in the future, while I do not take offence to anything said against me on any forum I rarely suffer idiots who lash out rather than try to see underlining meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Callan Ward is ahead of all of them at the moment. Has already kicked three today for Williamstown.

Interesting that Jarryd Grant has kicked four too. Peter Street is also tearing North Ballarat apart.

Ray is going ok but havent heard anything of Williams or Everitt on the radio call.

These guys will have to earn their places.

Post Thanks / Like

In the absence of Power and McMahon Gia has stepped up to be our chosen scapegoat, despite not really doing anything to deserve this ranking.

Gia has been good thus far this season, he generally makes the most of his oppurtnities up forward, kicks goals when needed and as the stats show contributes to the team. Despite this, last night I was seated near a Bulldogs "supporter" who every time Gia went near the ball he would be negative, including one time when after an out on the full Gia tried to get the ball moving by kicking it to someone in a better position before the umpire gave the kick to someone else.

Gia's biggest problem lately is his lack of height. I know it sounds weird but recently when we are struggliong within games for options up forward we often kick to Gia's leads, and this is where the opposition matchups come into it. Against Essendon Fletcher was frequently the bloke on Gia, so every time we passed to Gia he had no hope due to Fletchers ridiculously long limbs. Gia would often do enough to bring the ball to ground, but would lose out in that he doesn't have the pace to break away and other opponents will come over to support. Gia one on one, if the ball is placed correctly, often makes something out of it, eg. his goals last night. Coupled with his reported leadership abilities, he deserves his spot in the side, and plays a different role to Farren anyway.

I think Josh Hill is starting to look like being dropped, but will probably be kept in this week. Farren probably doesn't need to come in this week, the SCG isn't really big enough to suit his style. Everitt and Williams would be handy, but aren't vital. Sydney don't have an overly tall forwardline, but are hard at it. Addison and Callan, who probably wouldn't have been considered as members of our best 22 previously, both deserve their spots for a while. They give us hardness and toughness that we haven't had in a while. Wight is another who's grown, he's working well around the ground and even kicking goals. To be honest we don't need to bring anybody in this week, and nobody deserves to be dropped. The week after, if Hill doesn't perform we could look at Farren coming in for him, but its not necessary.

Really, I'm content with our current line-up, theres a good mix of height, skill and hardness, and whilst Everitt, Williams and Ray are certainly good enough to play, nobody has been bad enough to be dropped for them.

Post Thanks / Like

One stat...assists

Giansiracusa, Daniel 14
    Cooney, Adam 11
    Murphy, Robert 10
    Akermanis, Jason 8
    Cross, Daniel 8
    Johnson, Brad 8

May not be kicking goals but setting them up IMO is more valuable.

Assists also don't get recognized as much as goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    I'm looking at possible replacements for these players that will be pushing for selection. Gia has been poor, are you disputing this?
    Yes, I'm disputing it. The performances and statistics say the opposite. Whilst he may not have been in Brownlow form, he is miles away from being dropped. It was only a couple of months ago he was going to be out for the season.

Eagleton has is nowhere near it, why wouldn't he be considered?
    Despite what you or I think of Eagle, he is a very valuable to the side according to those that matter. Thats good enough reason for me.

Like it or not we have to make some hard calls and these two guys are not playing anywhere near well enough to hold down a spot. It's not about scapegoating as it is having a good problem of players fighting for their spots and it doesn't matter who you are, you need to be on top of your game.
    Yes we must make changes as we are playing so badly.

I know how you love a good stouche Ernie
    If you are going to talk crap then maybe you deserve it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hard to go against a bloke when he is a hero to you I know...
    This is starting to look like Big Footy. Get rid of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if all three of Ray, Everitt and Williams played VFL today for Willy? Did Williams play last week - I wasn't sure he'd even played a game yet.

From my perspective it's a rare, and great problem to have where you have enough good players fit to be forced drop senior players to squeeze others in.

I would have thought all three will need a bit of time to develop the needed fitness and strength to play senior football.

If they do get up and firing then it will put pressure on for guys to retain their spots, but only then.

Post Thanks / Like

Intersting that when you add goals (9) and assists (14) he is the most important player in terms of goals. Acker is closest with 14 goals and 8 assists as far as i can see

Post Thanks / Like

WB age, there is no need to resort to this type of insult. Debate the point of view but leave out comments like moron and wanker as they are not needed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Yes, I'm disputing it. The performances and statistics say the opposite. Whilst he may not have been in Brownlow form, he is miles away from being dropped. It was only a couple of months ago he was going to be out for the season.

Despite what you or I think of Eagle, he is a very valuable to the side according to those that matter. Thats good enough reason for me.

Yes we must make changes as we are playing so badly.

If you are going to talk crap then maybe you deserve it?
    Chill out dude....

I'm not sure where I said we must make changes, my topic revolved around a hypothetical of who will make way if those 3 players were in great form at Willy. I made that comment in reference to our players needing to keep up their good form with a host of players breathing down their neck, a very very big positive. Nothing better than players fighting for their spots and not getting complacent.

As it stands, obviously while we are winning there is no need to change anything, but in the next few weeks, things can change.

My opinion, excuse me for having one, is that Gia is a touch slow and is very inconsistant. Whilst I knw what he is capable of, he needs to contribute more and show better intensity.

Eagle is a shadow of his former self. Not too many strings to his bow, if his run and carry is letting him down, he hasn't got much more to offer. I'm sure he's considered important when he is on song, right now I don't think he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    I think Callan Ward is ahead of all of them at the moment. Has already kicked three today for Williamstown.

Interesting that Jarryd Grant has kicked four too. Peter Street is also tearing North Ballarat apart.

Ray is going ok but havent heard anything of Williams or Everitt on the radio call.

These guys will have to earn their places.
    Exactly right. These guys have to earn their places. We can't start dropping guys until those playing at Williamstown have done enough to earn a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    This is starting to look like Big Footy. Get rid of them.
    Excuse me I was defending myself and I believe I was misunderstood by my antagonist, why get rid of me? I believe I adhere to the rules outlined by the Woof mods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    One stat...assists

Giansiracusa, Daniel 14
    Cooney, Adam 11
    Murphy, Robert 10
    Akermanis, Jason 8
    Cross, Daniel 8
    Johnson, Brad 8

May not be kicking goals but setting them up IMO is more valuable.

Assists also don't get recognized as much as goals.
    Yeah that's an interesting number. Maybe he has changed his game somewhat from the role I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah that's an interesting number. Maybe he has changed his game somewhat from the role I remember.
    Has always been a assist leader when playing half decent footy. Was leading the comp almost one year i think.