Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ray, Everitt and Williams.....

Gia's role certainly isn't to get 30+ possessions. I'd be surprised if he has done that more than 3 times in his career.

One of his goals yesterday summed up his footy smarts, simply out-positioned his defender gave him the slightest of nudges and snapped truly for a wonderful goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    The thing is, we don't need Gia to get 30+ touches every game, we don't need him winning every contested ball in the midfield. He has a role to play, at the moment he is doing it well and is certainly in no danger of being dropped. Obviously there is still improvement in his game, as their is with everyones, but his form thus far has been very pleasing considering his limited preparation.
    Exactly, too many supporters expect every player to get 25 plus possessions before they rate them. That is just impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you really wanted to drop some one, then why not pick on Griffen. In my opinion he has played two shocking games. He has been tagged two weeks in a row and has hardly touched the ball. Last week he actually didn't touch the ball in the first quarter and ended up with 12 possessions. This week was no better and he managed only 18 disposals, which in normal circumstances is ok, but on a night we thrashed the opposition and had over 100 disposals more than they did, he should have had a bigger share. Personally, I wouldn't drop him, but because the thread is based on who you would drop, then he is a candidate, along with Hill who is still learning the game.

The team is playing well and we don't need to rush any one in unless they are injured.
    I have been a bit dsappointed by Griffen but like you I wouldn't consider dropping him. A change of positions might get him winning the ball again. I wonder how he and Cooney will handle the added pressure they will get this week from the Swans?

brilliantgriffen Guest

I would love to see Farren Ray slot into our team somewhere. I thought he was looking fantastic in the NAB cup and was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. I do agree with a previous post in that I do not think Sydney is the best game to build confidence on, but he looked like he had added some serious size (considering the starting point) over the preseason. Nice headache to have!

Ballarat unable to cope with Ray vision
    Chris Mitchell | April 28, 2008 12:00am
    WILLIAMSTOWN is equal top on the VFL ladder with North Ballarat after a thrilling 17-point win against the previously unbeaten Roosters at Burbank Oval yesterday. Led by a potent forward arsenal and a best afield display by Western Bulldogs' Farren Ray, the Seagulls booted four goals to two in the final term to seal the win.

North Ballarat could not find a consistent avenue to goal, although tiny North Melbourne rookie Cruize Garlett kicked two goals for the Roosters in the last quarter.

In his second game back since he broke his fibula in a NAB Cup game in February, Ray was brilliant across half-back, racking up 16 kicks and 11 handballs.

"He was out for nine weeks so it's a fair stint on the sidelines," Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said.

"He played the majority of the game today so hopefully he doesn't pull up too sore. He was a little bit sore after last week's game, but to have over 20 possessions, he'd be pretty happy with that."

Williamstown had a bevy of goal-scoring options with Bulldogs-listed Wayde Skipper, Callan Ward and Guy O'Keefe all booting three each.

David Stretton had 31 touches, while 18-year-old O'Keefe, pick No. 63 in last year's national draft, was outstanding with 28 disposals.

"For a kid that's in his first year, he (O'Keefe) is going very well," Gotch said.

"I thought a lot of the Bulldogs-listed boys were good, especially Farren. Stephen Tiller was pretty good.

"We were a little bit shaky at the start of the second quarter when they had a bit of a break on us but I thought the boys showed a bit when things were against them."

North Ballarat had its share of stars with midfielder Tom Roach dominant with 17 kicks and four handballs and Gavin Urquhart prominent with 19 kicks and 10 handballs.

Josh Smith had 14 kicks while North Ballarat coach Gerard FitzGerald said he was pleased with Andrew Swallow's 15 touches in the midfield.

"It was certainly the best game that he's played for us and we rated his game very highly," FitzGerald said.

"It was great to see him get the ball and have an impact with his run."

FitzGerald said his side failed to stop the Seagulls' run out of defence but would bounce back after next week's bye.

"We thought during the day the Williamstown backs rebounded very well and we needed to make better use of the ball when we had it in our forward line," he said.

In a blow for the Roosters, Marc Greig was reported for charging Ray after he had marked in the last term.

In yesterday's other game, Werribee had its second win defeating Northern Bullants by 16 points at Princes Park.

James Podsiadly was the star of the show with eight goals as the Tigers held off a last-quarter surge from David Teague's Bullants to win 15.15.(103) to 12.15 (87).

North youngsters Ben Ross and Ben Davies shone for Werribee, while 19-year-old Brent Bransgrove and ruckman Cain Ackland were prominent for the Bullants.

On Saturday, Sandringham thrashed Bendigo by 70 points at Trevor Barker Oval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    I have been a bit dsappointed by Griffen but like you I wouldn't consider dropping him. A change of positions might get him winning the ball again. I wonder how he and Cooney will handle the added pressure they will get this week from the Swans?
    If you talk to Eade, he is giving Cooney and Griffen every chance to become our future dominant midfielders. This week against the Swans is going to be a big test as they will both be tagged. I would persist with Griffen at this stage in the midfield rotations and learn to break the tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Very encouraging from Ray - I wonder if he will be given a few more gallops at VFL level or promoted. I'd be inclined to give him another one and then have him primed for Freo at Subi after the break

Post Thanks / Like

Yes very pleasing from Ray. It would be good to see him in our next Melbourne game against North Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Very encouraging from Ray - I wonder if he will be given a few more gallops at VFL level or promoted. I'd be inclined to give him another one and then have him primed for Freo at Subi after the break
    I'd bring him in for Hill this week.

Hill is starting to flounder a little and Sydney are no team to play when you're about 70kgs.

The VFL is in the middle of a split round, Willi don't have a game next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post

Well your opinion is wrong.
    His opinion is wrong only in your opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I'd bring him in for Hill this week.

Hill is starting to flounder a little and Sydney are no team to play when you're about 70kgs.

The VFL is in the middle of a split round, Willi don't have a game next week.
    I think I'd give Hill the opportunity to show what he can do. I agree that Sydney are very tough and that might be a good experience for Hill as to the next step he needs to take with his footy.

Although if Willi dont have a game next week - then I guess Ray could have a week off and play with Willi during the week off of AFL and then head to WA

I still think I'd be inclined to still leave Ray out, although I am less sure. If I was to take Hill out then I would be keen to promote OKeefe, even if it is against a very tough opposition

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd give Hill the opportunity to show what he can do. I agree that Sydney are very tough and that might be a good experience for Hill as to the next step he needs to take with his footy.

Although if Willi dont have a game next week - then I guess Ray could have a week off and play with Willi during the week off of AFL and then head to WA

I still think I'd be inclined to still leave Ray out, although I am less sure. If I was to take Hill out then I would be keen to promote OKeefe, even if it is against a very tough opposition
    The guts of it is Ray>Hill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    His opinion is wrong only in your opinion
    No its fact. The performances and the statistics prove it.
    If Gia its dropped then he is right. Its a long shot at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play because there is a chance we could rest Johnson and even West but I would give Ray one more week at Williamstown as well. Bringing him underdone might not be in the best interest of the club especially with a bye looming.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Brett Guest

Agree that O'Keefe might be a chance for promotion. Was an emergency for Saturday nights game, & kicked 3 goals & named best player for Williamstown on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Gia's role certainly isn't to get 30+ possessions. I'd be surprised if he has done that more than 3 times in his career.

One of his goals yesterday summed up his footy smarts, simply out-positioned his defender gave him the slightest of nudges and snapped truly for a wonderful goal.
    Yep, kicked two in a couple of minutes around that time. He also picked up a kick deep in the pocket earlier in the game, and a less astute player would've tried to kick a very low percentage shot on goal, instead he quickly looked across, saw Shaggy in space 15 metres out in front, and deftly crossed the ball to him. Shaggy missed the resulting sitter of a set shot, but Guido's class in that passage underlined how much he adds to our team.